I've been using Maya for about 6 months now, coming from 3dsmax, and I have a couple of issues and questions that I desperately need fixes:
1. Rotation gizmo in ortho views is greyed out on some part, what purpose this has? I can't rotate while clicking on the gray part of the gizmo. Somtimes, there is no grayed out part, but rotation doesnt work unless I click guess on another part of the gizmo.
2. When using Isolate mode, I can still select the hidden faces, rendering the mode useless in a lot of cases (when cutting polygons for instance, I have to detach the faces I want to cut to avoid hitting invisible faces).
3. Related, Hide unselected with a subobject selected hides everything, so if I'm modeling and need a better view, I have to go to object mode, lose my selection, hide what I need to hide, go back to my object. Hide selection works if you're in subobject moded on the other hand.
4. When doing bevels, the inner bevels get assigned default Lambert1, instead of the applied material, any way to keep the material assigned to the mesh?
5. If I import objects, they get renamed with a ":" in their name, and I can't use some operations on them (like froxnormal export, or some scripts). Any way to change the default name structure for imported meshes?
6. After many uses of Focus and the Viewcube in Ortho views, sometimes viewport clipping kicks in, and mesh is like a cut-away, I'm unable to select everything. I have to create a new Ortho view, or change viewport clipping settings, also Viewcube dissapears, even If I create a new ortho, so I can't go to left or front view without going into another default Ortho and use the Viewcube there.
7.If Cameras are hidden and I hide something, using Display - Geometry - Show all also shows the cameras again, even though there's a separate Show Cameras just below.
8. Any way to have a history for last locations like in Max? The last paths show every folder in the path going up to the root instead of the last folder you saved or opened from.
9. Sometimes if I use undo more than a couple of times, object dissapears, doin Redo doesn't work anymore (no available redos)
10. Sometimes there's this freeze issue where:
- I have to rotate or pan the viewport so subobject selections get updated
- I can't close Maya from x, nothing happens
- can't select UV's sometimes
So I have to kill the Maya process. Saving works, but it doesn't update the path on the window title bar if you save by a new name.
11. If I'm working with instances and I'm doing an extrude, the gizmo appears on a random instance instead of the one I'm working on.
12. Sometimes If I use Extrude on a mesh as a Shell Modifier Equivalent, vertex move wildly around. I have to import in 3dsmax, apply shell, reimport.
13. Any easy way to cut polygouns in the middle of the face, like Cut tool in max? I use Split polygons and uncheck Constrain to Edges when I need to cut inside a face, then reenable it to finish the cut on an edge, but the big problem is:
14. When autosave kicks in, operation you're on is cancelled, you lose your work if you're cutting a polygon or you get interrupted if you're selecting.
15. Sometimes when interactively creating a mesh in an ortho view, the drag method is all wonky, and the starting corner of a cube for instance moves after you clicked (I think I encountered this more in 2013).
16. Anyway to prevent non-manifold meshes from happening? I have a mesh made of two sub-meshes, some vertices overlap, after I duplicate the mesh for Symmetry, I want to weld the middle vertices. If I select them and weld, they get welded together from the different sub-meshes, creating one big mesh with non-manifold geometry. Instead, I have to select one half from one sub-mesh, then the other half, convert to vertices, weld, then repeat for the other sub-mesh. Sometimes I forget about this and welding screws up my mesh. I have to undo, but then the mesh dissapears - undo/redo bug described above.
17. If I want to select close-packed subobjects, I can't select anything that is underneath the move gizmo (it just selects one of the axis), so I have to either zoom in alot, deselect, and plan my selection so the gizmo is not in the way, or select in select mode, no gizmos.
That's it for now. I'm using Maya 2014, I know some things are better in 2015 (like the multi-cut tool), but I have to stick to 2014 for a while.