Home Technical Talk

Workflow tips

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
OBlastradiusO polycounter lvl 11
Anybody have any tips to speed up workflow? Some day's I find myself spending too much time on the prop at work. I usually use 3d max a lot for hard surface stuff but use Zbrush as well for certain props. I dunno it seems that I make things to difficult for myself with my workflow.

Replies

• Fwap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13
    Hot keys, Action scripts, kit bash libraries ect.

For a project i'm currently working on, i have a strict deadline, i went ahead and made a base material for all the textures i'll need, i went from spending a good couple of hours on a texture to betweeen 30mins to an hour, and my assets are so much more consistent.

Just little things like that.
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks man. Never knew about KitBash. ill have to check that out! Having base materials is a smart idea too.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Make detailed blockouts before doing any detail work so you don't get caught up focusing on the small things before you have the entire shape worked out.
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks. Trying very hard to not get bogged down in the small details. Workin on it. :D
  • Avvi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avvi polycounter lvl 3
    If you ask about how to speed up, because you like spending time on details, then it's good :) You should find a way to allow yourself to make details, if you like it. Only know which are worth it. What makes the prop readable and great. Do what matters.

'The blockout first' is a great advice from EarthQuake. As a level artist, I did blockouts of level fragments and props for modellers. It really helped them to see what's important for the shape, for the readability and what can they ignore. Because you always have to ignore something.

Make the early shape in whichever way you find fastest. You will do most of shape changes here, scale things, move 'core details', so it should be easy to make these changes.

Do everything you can to avoid fixes, corrections, changes in the late phase.
    Remember, that in later phases of doing an art pieces, corrections become more and more costly. A change in shape is not really a change - it's a return to the beginning! because you redo the bakes and textures again. It's not what you or your art lead want: to have an almost complete piece done again :D So if someone hurries you through the first phase, and that's why you ask about speeding up, then the person is being quite irresponsible.

Have a plan in your head about what are the core features of your model. So you can focus on them first without feeling guilty of spending time on a feature. You know how they say often, about spending 80% of the time on the 20% of a thing. Use some random brushes, ready materials, on the rest ;) You will return to them if you still have some time left. If not, well, you at least have a model :D Not perfect, but done.
  • AdvisableRobin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AdvisableRobin polycounter lvl 10
    Along the lines of blocking out, focus on the pieces that push the silhouette of the scene.

If you are baking a lot of maps, especially normal maps learn everything you can about the process and about how to model in order to avoid errors. If you are also responsible for creating the textures then start working on a material library of tilable materials.

Some meta level advice maybe even, set yourself up to be productive, take breaks. Go for a walk, reset your brain and refocus on the bigger picture.
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys for all the suggestions and I will put them into practice.
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    Track how much time you actually spend on each phase of an asset (model / uv / bake / texture / into-engine etc) to get a better idea where you could improve. Make predictions beforehand too... think how you're going to make each part and how long it should probably take. Then when working, always be working towards a goal vs working in general.