Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Subway Station

Money
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Money polycounter lvl 8
I've been here for move than 3 years now, but never got to post anything. So here's one scene I did (and pretty much my first one). :D
Started this in UDK first, but never got myself to finish it, so now I took UE4, dug my old files and ported everything along with some other changes.
Some pics.

sub1cp8sv2.jpg

sub2c19sje.jpg

Pics of the real thing

And a short video flythrough I captured. Had some problems with 30 fps video on YT and Vimeo, movement would come out all jittery, so here's 60 fps version from my Dropbox account.

Video

Replies

• frmdbl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frmdbl polycounter
    I think it looks quite good and realistic.

The lighting is something that could be improved imo, it's a bit flat.
    I'd try to recreate the picture more, there's a nice contrast between very warm and very cold lighting in it.

Other that that, those coloured signs look very artificial for some reason.
  • WesleyArthur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very nice, and very realistic! I'm wondering if it could do with subtle signs of wear here and there, just to up that realism even further (unless it's deliberately pristine, in which case ignore me!).
  • JHax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JHax null
    Looking nice! really like what you have here. Good variation in materials and nice lighting.

I agree with Wesley, it's looking like no-one has set foot in that subway. I would suggest adding grime, scrapes, cracks, worn paintwork, even slight rubbish that's been left on the floor would help a lot to make it more realistic. Unless this is a Vis scene of course!

But again it's looking pretty nice keep it up! :)

-Jhax
  • Money
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Money polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks for all the comments. :)

frmdbl: I agree. Lighting, especially the ceiling was something that always kinda bothered me, but never got to nail the look I wanted. My pc also isn't really helping because I running well bellow min UE4 specs on CPU so bakes are painfully slow.
    I wanted to experiment with IES profiles, however those tests ended badly because of some limit where only 4 lights in one area resulting in most of them not working. It was either shorting their distance or narrowing their cone, and both looked bad. Might try that again later.
    As for the contrasting part between warm and cold lights it shouldn't be too hard to do to break up that sterile look a bit.

WesleyArthur, JHax: I went for a more clean look like a Vis scene, so less wear was intentional.
    Still, always felt like floor could use more work (I wanted to make those bright tiles look kinda greasy). So far it uses tiles texture to break up roughness repetition on bright tiles part (might increase range between max and min value there to pronounce it more) and one dirt texture (I didn't like how it looked so).
  • MacOrion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MacOrion polycounter lvl 9
  • WesleyArthur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I figured with the level of detail in there that the lack of wear would be intentional. Yeah breaking up roughness is a good shout, especially without sacrificing the pristine feel. Really nice work.
  • Cheathem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheathem polycounter lvl 6
    Reminds me of something I'd see in counterstrike. Looks good!
  • katie87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking so amazing and realistic