Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] God left me (Cathedral)

Bychop
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Bychop polycounter lvl 7
KrrIjWe.png

Hello!

I'm pleased to show you our last project in Unreal Engine 4 : God left me.
The project has been done in 7 weeks with 7 men.

The premise:
A priest who has been battling a demon enters a grand cathedral, the last safe haven still standing, in an effort to get away.

Please enjoy a video and screenshots below!

[vv]108833871[/vv]

RVccLjK.png
DUMWdZj.jpg
y69A6ok.jpg
wRrSWeM.jpg
sfIJvwy.jpg
gI53KpQ.png

The "God Left Me" team.

Replies

• KazeoHin
    Offline / Send Message
    KazeoHin polycounter lvl 8
    Wow! Awesome work guys!
  • locater16
    Offline / Send Message
    locater16 polycounter lvl 8
    Holy wow, that looks awesome!
  • Xaragoth
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaragoth polycounter lvl 8
    I'd totally like to take that in at normal speed :o Can we have a normal speed video? D:

Also it's all so pretty. Love it.
  • Snefer
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    This is really impressive for that timeframe : ) You really, REALLY need to fix that animation on the character though, if it wasnt for that janky animation it would look really solid, but right now its so distracting it would almost be better without him.

Artwork and mood is really solid though, great job :)
  • Money
    Offline / Send Message
    Money polycounter lvl 8
    Great work guys. :D
  • urgaffel
    Offline / Send Message
    urgaffel polycounter lvl 17
    It looks as if the video is playing at 2x the speed, is that intentional? Lovely mood, lighitng and environment, it would be nice to see a fly through!
  • MattyWS
    Offline / Send Message
    MattyWS polycounter lvl 11
    This is awesome! Are you planning on showing individual assets or breakdowns how anything?
  • kaligraphx
    awesome GG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • wirrexx
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    Any chance we can see a breakdown of your environmnet?
    It's really inspring and nice!! Beautifull!
  • Robbie222
    Offline / Send Message
    Robbie222 polycounter lvl 3
    Loved everything except the character animation.

Also when he pushes the door to open it ...that's not how it should open if it was indeed a heavy , hard to open door. ( like it looks cause he is leaning on his back to push it)

Would also love to see bits and pieces of the environment, especially how the windows were done.
  • Cheeky_Pickle
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheeky_Pickle polycounter lvl 9
    Hey this is awesome! Is it a game or a short video? If the latter I think more dynamic shooting angles would benefit you greatly!
  • Chimp
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    Absolutely love the environment art - everything about it - the modelling, lighting, texturing, the ambience, everything.

Really, really dislike all of the animation from the characters through to the camera and everything in between - it lets the rest of it down - I would have given that another few weeks before launching, it's ruined it really. Particle FX could do with work too, especially the window smash.

But yeah, top notch environment.
  • Poinball
    Offline / Send Message
    Poinball polycounter lvl 6
    Chimp wrote: »
    Absolutely love the environment art - everything about it - the modelling, lighting, texturing, the ambience, everything.

Really, really dislike all of the animation from the characters through to the camera and everything in between - it lets the rest of it down - I would have given that another few weeks before launching, it's ruined it really. Particle FX could do with work too, especially the window smash.

But yeah, top notch environment.

I have the same thing to say. Awesome 3D and texture work but the animation drop the beauty of the room !
  • Swarm22
    Offline / Send Message
    Swarm22 polycounter lvl 15
    Looks fantastic! Only thing that is bugging me is the animations on the priest, the walk cycle to be specific. Animations are such a huge sticking point to me on everything. You can have the best looking game in the world but if it has wonky animations it totally ruins the immersion.
  • WesleyArthur
    That's brilliant! I particularly like your wall of skulls - a fairly common thing to see in games but executed very well indeed.
  • Shrike
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    third person is used for gameplay reasons usually, and first person for immersion.
    Since you are fully focused on showing the environment and the happenings, using first person
    aside from some key actions like the door opening , the end etc, would increase tension a lot,
    + have better view on the surroundings, hides the janky animations and you can look around and emulate real human behaviour with it, (my main critique is that he
    totally behaves like someone that dosnt care what is happening around - Stuff is lifting up etc and he dosnt even notice) id consider doing a shoot with FP view

Also that jump indicator does not help, its no game, and it just takes away from the immersion. The slow motion part was also so long that i almost wanted to skip the video a bit : P

Aside that, looking really nice!
  • Bychop
    Offline / Send Message
    Bychop polycounter lvl 7
    Thank you all for feedbacks and comments :)
    urgaffel wrote: »
    It looks as if the video is playing at 2x the speed, is that intentional? Lovely mood, lighitng and environment, it would be nice to see a fly through!

No, it's normal speed. We tried to set gameplay much slower, but it was kind of boring and frustrating for the players.
    Shrike wrote: »
    third person is used for gameplay reasons usually, and first person for immersion.
    Since you are fully focused on showing the environment and the happenings, using first person
    aside from some key actions like the door opening , the end etc, would increase tension a lot,
    + have better view on the surroundings, hides the janky animations and you can look around and emulate real human behaviour with it, (my main critique is that he
    totally behaves like someone that dosnt care what is happening around - Stuff is lifting up etc and he dosnt even notice) id consider doing a shoot with FP view

Also that jump indicator does not help, its no game, and it just takes away from the immersion. The slow motion part was also so long that i almost wanted to skip the video a bit : P

We wanted to show the priest reactions to his environment. Otherwise, I think you are right. This is why the VR version will be in FP for immersion. ;)

Also, for the jump indicator, we needed to show to the player controls even if it's a 3 minute run game.

We knew that the animation wasn't perfect, but we didn't expect it's been THAT much terrible. I guess the problem comes from realistic rendering and key posing animation without any motion capture (it's hard). Here's a response of our animator on the Unreal Engine Forum
    As I was the animator on this project, I realize that there is much room for improvement and I appreciate everyone being so polite about the fact that it clearly is the weak point of the project That being said, it is obvious that more time would have greatly benefited the overall polish and appeal of the animations but hopefully, the quality will increase for the next project. There was a bit of a learning curve since this was the first time any of us had used UE4, but as you can see, from an environment perspective at least, the engine enabled us to achieve a very nice result quite quickly.

[...]

Again, we appreciate all the nice comments and are already gearing up to start the second project of our semester (another 7 weeks) so stay tuned for more!
  • StraightDraw84
    Offline / Send Message
    StraightDraw84 polycounter lvl 9
    Very cool! I was wondering how did you get the sun rays into ue4?
    (volume lights)