Home General Discussion

Single Page Portfolio v. Multiple Page Portfolio

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
atomander polycounter lvl 7
Question about formatting for a portfolio website: do you prefer a single page, with the images in a list and contact info very visible, or do you prefer to have a "main page" with links to different pages for projects/pieces? I currently use the later on my portfolio, but I'm debating switching. So far my thinking is

Pros for Single Page:
- Only a few, best pieces
- Least friction for viewer
- Simple

Pros for Multiple Pages:
- Easy to divide up different styles of work
- Easy to divide work into professional and personal categories
- Possibly more manageable to navigate to a particular piece

Replies

• JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    I like single page better.

You get more exposure when your work is the first thing a recruiter sees. Multiple pages means having to click back and forth through stuff which takes more effort.
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Less clicks are better. That said, I like the type of layout that you have, with the big banner intro for each project, and a huge list of images under each one. I think you could maybe have a "Next project name/top/Previous project name" nav bar under the images in a project so that you don't have to scroll back up/press back.

Not a fan of the huge, infinite scroll list of random images and projects without much sorting. I find that a hassle to look at, and not very concise. I feel it's easy to put crap projects at the top of that list and have an employer leave the page without even knowing that there was something that suited them more further down, whereas with a landing page with icons for each project, you can get a feel of all the things someone's tried immediately.

Just my 2 cents.
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    I think your pros and cons already pretty much sum it up. On one hand, single page portfolios require little or no clicking. On the other hand, I find it a gigantic pain in the ass to scroll up and down if there's more than a few images. There have been a few times where I know someone has an image on their portfolio, I go to find it, and wind up scrolling through a bunch of stuff looking for that one image. Had I just had some thumbnails or some links to click with some organization, it would have been easier than it all being thrown onto one page.

Of course, if you've got nothing but gigantic images (or god forbid it's a flash website or some shit like that), it may take forever to load a page even if they are organized with thumbnails or divided up into sections. And it's definitely possible to go overboard with organizing things.

So long as people can find what they're looking for quickly and efficiently without having to click 5 times through different menus, and your main points of interest are readily available at all times (some actual work, contact info, resume, etc), I think you're alright.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Single page is also a ton easier to setup, maintain, and update. Single page sites work better on mobile as well, which is becoming more important. Single page is also nice because it will load images further down on the page while you look at the ones on top. It's always annoying when you have to click on multiple pages and wait multiple times for images to load.
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    atomander wrote: »
    Pros for Single Page:
    - Only a few, best pieces
    - Least friction for viewer
    - Simple

Pros for Multiple Pages:
    - Easy to divide up different styles of work
    - Easy to divide work into professional and personal categories
    - Possibly more manageable to navigate to a particular piece

You pretty much nailed the analysis. I used to have a single page layout and I switched because I wanted to have breakdown shots for assets, which was too busy with all of them on one page. Single page is the easiest to create, maintain, and use but it's less project-oriented and more stream-of-art oriented.

I think single page works great if you're extremely prolific or if you do only one thing very well (HP modeling or w/e).
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    I agree with Amsterdam Hilton Hotel. I think it really depends on your content which format presents your content the best way. But I think in your case a single page folio would be better.
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    I tried to find a middle ground with my layout.
    http://www.alecmoody.com/
    Small thumbnails are annoying and I want users to get a quick view of my work as soon as they load the page. I really like single page layouts but they start to be hard to consume when you have work that should be logically grouped or you have a lot of elaborating images (multiple angles, wireframes, texture sheets).
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    I just found this site and this specific template. It combines both. (It actually offers both; Feed Vs Index style.)

Check it out O o' I test it with my temporary folio stuff... Cool thing is, it offers fast-loading lightbox + save images as + Pin. Pretty cool actually.
    http://cargocollective.com/pyr3d
  • baalnazzar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For me personally it doesn't matter. One thing I have to agree with someone above is that it's annoying if site needs lot of scrolling. I think important now is making site responsive so it looks good and works nicely and mobiles too.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Good breakdown of the pros/cons! Totally hit the nail on the head there.

I say less clicking is better. People don't have a ton of time and shouldn't have to click around to view your work. That said though if your work covers multiple categories and styles it might be better to have individual pages (like AmsterdamHH says).

Just make sure your best stuff is the first thing people see. I really don't understand why people use headers that just say their name and take up 25-40% of the screen.

When you're starting out you'll probably have a little bit of every style and type of work. That said you probably shouldn't have that up. Just your best work and what you want to have a job making. Eventually you'll hone your work and portfolio to a point where you're specializing more. That will accommodate one page design a bit better.

Example: I like to make hand painted/stylized props. I make environments too I usually don't have the free time for them though. I can make more gritty, realistic stuff. I just don't enjoy it that much. So I only have props that I would want to for 8-12 hours a day on my site. I don't want people to see a realistic scene that I made and think that's my jam. Cause it's not. And quite frankly there are better Artists than me in that style.

Now bringing that back to you. I like your design. It's good. The separate pages work for yours cause the 'thumbnails' are giant. So I know what I'm clicking before I click.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Actually, I think I've found a use for having multiple pages.

I was looking at this guy's portfolio and he has boxarts of shipped titles. It would be redundant to show all the artwork from those games on one page because he already gets the point across "Yes, I worked on these games. So click on them if you want to view more".
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I prefer when artist just like the box art at the top like http://www.peperaart.com/ or http://adambromell.com/

If I know the title and what type of art you do I can easily figure out what type of work you did. I don't need to see a dozen pictures from one game and have to go back to look at the next, and do that 4 or 5 times.
  • HappyTrees
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with JordanN. I believe it's better to have a single page that shows off summaries of your best work at a glance. Then have it expandable if the viewer wants to see more.

It's what I try to do on my site, http://bobbyross.com/ using squarespace's flatiron template
  • Felixenfeu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Felixenfeu polycounter lvl 10
    I'm with HappyTrees (and AlecMoody). The middle ground. I think it shows everything you can do well enough, and if poeple are curious or wants to know more, you can expend and see all the details, breakdown, etc.

I used this too in mine, cheating a bit on weebly templates. http://www.felixcharacters.com/
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    the clicking never annoys me too much, but crazy navigation does. The kind that sends you in circles, where you never really know where you are on the page.

Want to make it worse? Spread your folio over multiple sites like blogger, personal-webpage, vimeo, youtube, artstation, cgsociety and then all cross-link it in a confusing fashion! AAARGHHH!
  • Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    1 page, images that are not crazy small/big or zoom-cropped, no flash, contact info, linkedin.
  • easterislandnick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    easterislandnick polycounter lvl 17
    Your website is fine. It's nicely categorized and easy to navigate. It wouldn't hamper recruitment.
  • atomander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    atomander polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks for all the responses! Its been really helpful.