Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] University Project - The TARDIS

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Dan Powell polycounter lvl 5
Hey folks,

Our assignment is to produce a polished piece of environment art based on a film, book, television program - basically any media which isn't a game. I'm not the greatest Doctor Who fan in the world, however I thought the current Doctor's TARDIS (Peter Capaldi) would be a fun challenge for me as I tend to drift away from interior stuff.

I've got three other big University projects going on but I'd like to post this one to Polycount as I go along. We will be using UE4 to realtime render, as well as a PBR workflow.

Here's a few initial screenshots of the Blockout - I'm trying to get most stuff blocked out in 3D Studio first; both to scale and a workable standard. :)

85547a8b65.jpg

4ea4d51610.jpg

eaa7beb2f4.jpg

Will try to keep the thread updated with progress. I appreciate that this is only a start, but if anyone does have any early feedback then feel free to post it!

Replies

• Dan Powell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A few updates:

- Adjusted the interior dimensions, the TARDIS's control room has a diameter of 60ft.
    - With the above in mind, correctly re-scaled everything
    - Shaped the central platform to fit the newly-added stairs
    - Improved the shape of the columns, thickened them so that they appear more supportive
    - Retopologised the doorframe area so that it correctly fits with the columns either side

I've also imported the blockout to a playable UE4 level - which has helped a lot with guesstimating the scale of stuff that is without reference.

Here's some more screenshots!

b79799ee58.jpg

5eac9d42a2.jpg

eb164fd4b2.jpg

I'm unsure as to how long doing detailed blockouts of remaining forms will take, I also have other projects to cater for.

Once again, any early-stage feedback is appreciated. :)
  • Dan Powell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More progress screenshots. Been working on other projects too, but managed to make some decent modelling progress on this. :)

2f7b1bf946.jpg

01c8b254cf.jpg

840b06e146.jpg

ab0921ceba.jpg

A little bit stuck at the moment trying to finish off the discs on the wall.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    I'm no Envo artist, but, any chance for this ?
    maxresdefault.jpg
  • Dan Powell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey PyrZern, :)

In the future I'll probably have a go at the one you posted above, or the TARDIS Matt Smith had for a large portion of series 5. I imagine out of all of them Smith's would probably be the toughest.

This is Smith's:

tardis-console-series-5.jpg
  • Dan Powell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just finished modelling the discs on the wall - will highpoly later and bake down, then use nDo2 to add the further detail and ZBrush to maybe sculpt in some scratches etc.

Thing is that the amount of triangles in the wall is pretty overkill, it's at around 7K per wall, and there's a total of 18 of these in the scene - I'd rather not ruin the accuracy of the design by having to take detail out, but is 7k for a modular wall completely unacceptable in terms of triangle budget?

bc1f05c60f.jpg
  • Youngy798
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Youngy798 polycounter lvl 4
    Couldn't you make the little discs into a low poly flattened semi circle kind of shape, and then bake the details onto it?

7k seems fairly high in my opinion, but I maybe I am wrong :D
  • Dan Powell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I considered baking a lot more of it in as a normal, but the real things protrude far too much for a normal map to be able to portray accurately, and accuracy was something I was aiming for here.

0bb7d0734a.jpg

I'm baking the little indents on the three orange segments in, as well as the indents on the inner silver circle. :)
  • achillesian
  • Dan Powell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tesselate

This is a bit too ambiguous for me. :-P I'm not really sure how I'd go about using the modifier here (I'm assuming that's what it is.)
  • Youngy798
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Youngy798 polycounter lvl 4
    I assume you wouldn't be seeing the walls from up close anyways, so you could get away with baking a lower poly version for the further away areas.
  • Dan Powell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Youngy798 wrote: »
    I assume you wouldn't be seeing the walls from up close anyways, so you could get away with baking a lower poly version for the further away areas.

The upper-catwalk area is playable, so the player could get quite close to inspect.

402179809b.jpg

Ultimately I'm trying to keep the project highly accurate to the real TARDIS set, with as much detail as I can pack into it in the allocated time period (which is why I'm hesitant to bake it down if it means the object won't look as accurate to real things.) I'll definitely be baking the little hinges on the central-most circle, the indents on the segments, etc - I'll probably have a go at baking in the three large segments to see if they look alright from the in-situ angles.

I could LOD them too, and probably will do if it's the alternative to having to cut back on the quality of the overall silhouette too much. :)
  • Dan Powell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progress updates:

Basically reshaped some major areas such as the columns to be more in-line with the TARDIS set, I then tweaked the shaping of everything else to match it. About 50% of my hours must be literally reshaping stuff; when I change one thing, such as the curve of the columns, I need to change other stuff to match them. Unfortunately this comes with not having the plans for the set and having to eyeball everything - though I'm relatively happy with it overall at the moment in terms of shape and proportion.

If anyone does spot anything outstanding as wrong then please do let me know. :) As always, feedback appreciated.

39b5824549.jpg

39b5824549.jpg

77593107fd.jpg

5e078bb86f.jpg

f2cf2a07db.jpg
  • Dan Powell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Having trouble getting this texture to look right - I'm also struggling to interpret what the original texture is actually supposed to be.

What I've got so far:

MARMOSET TEST
    8bd6198048.jpg

ALBEDO
    4042beb3b8.jpg

NORMAL
    00b9ee8fd2.jpg

ROUGHNESS
    3a5820ba7f.jpg

METALNESS
    f07c34e843.jpg

To me, the material in the TARDIS looks like it's supposed to be some sort of alien, rysted metal - It doesn't really look like metal because of how (little) it's reflecting light, but it does look almost rough and rusty. Hence, I've textured it like I would try going about doing something that is totally rust.

References:

af3fe058bb.jpg

85040477b8.jpg

abb3ccc6be.jpg

f6de17257f.jpg
  • Dan Powell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thought I'd post a few WIP objects, just bunged stuff in Toolbag for now to get an idea. Honestly I'm struggling a bit with getting the Metal/Roughness values of some stuff right, mainly because this is a set as opposed to real materials - I.E. everything looks like it's supposed to be metal, but it's actually cheap materials like wallpaper and MDF Wood.

Chair:
    fb45c80f06.jpg

Wall:
    4375d71373.jpg

Rotating Time Rotor:
    c99e2823cf.jpg
  • AngryMindtricks
    Tbh, with a normal map with that low detail on it and that size resolution it's probably better not to use one at all... It puts strain on the engine with practically no solid visual benefits. get rid of it and have a rethink on the details of the walls and it looks like your steel ledges are generally quite rusty however I'm guessing that's not the idea you're looking for? I'm assuming you're looking for more of a messy dried paint look (based from your image reference)... so maybe put a little more time into polishing that texture up since right now it looks kind of like you've just thrown the texture onto that piece of geometry just for the sake of it not being flat grey. Sorry if that's what you intentionally did to begin your scene build up, because I tend to texture everything badly first and then polish each piece over afterwards.
    The shaders look too flat as well it looks nothing like metal, again if i'm critiquing on these things too early I apologize but play around with it.

Either way, keep it up! :)
  • Dan Powell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tbh, with a normal map with that low detail on it and that size resolution it's probably better not to use one at all... It puts strain on the engine with practically no solid visual benefits. get rid of it and have a rethink on the details of the walls and it looks like your steel ledges are generally quite rusty however I'm guessing that's not the idea you're looking for? I'm assuming you're looking for more of a messy dried paint look (based from your image reference)... so maybe put a little more time into polishing that texture up since right now it looks kind of like you've just thrown the texture onto that piece of geometry just for the sake of it not being flat grey. Sorry if that's what you intentionally did to begin your scene build up, because I tend to texture everything badly first and then polish each piece over afterwards.
    The shaders look too flat as well it looks nothing like metal, again if i'm critiquing on these things too early I apologize but play around with it.

Either way, keep it up! :)

Hey, thanks for the feedback. :)

It's still WIP, the main issue I'm having with a lot of the materials used in the actual set is that they're not actually metal - they're painted to look like metal.

The blue material for example I think is literally just Wallpaper which has been rolled around mdf wood (or some other cheap building material), that happens to look like rusty metal. I'll remove the Normal map as you suggested because it isn't really adding anything at the moment.

I think it's the same with the ledges - they're not actually made from Steel because it would be more costly to use than mdf wood - it doesn't look like it reflects how rust, or metal would, anyway. Overall I'm trying to create it similar to the set's look.

The wall texture is pretty awful at the moment - it's literally just flat colour with AO and Normal - I left it to the side for a bit because I was getting frustrated at not being able to achieve the correct PBR look (aforementioned because the materials aren't really... Real?) I'll likely do more work on that then post it up soon.

Again, the criticism is much appreciated - nothing here is final, and really I'm just trying to get everything to a good standard, then when/if I've got time towards the end of the project start polishing in Unreal 4 and going back to add "optional" detail to textures such as intricate decals, etc.
  • RobeOmega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    Metalness should be pure black or pure white. There are some exceptions to this like rust.
  • Dan Powell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Robeomega wrote: »
    Metalness should be pure black or pure white. There are some exceptions to this like rust.

Yeah definitely - the reason it's grayscale like on the one above is because originally I was texturing the blue material around the TARDIS as if it was some form of alien rust - now that I know that it's just thick wallpaper used on the set I'll be texturing it with Metalness of 0/black. :)
  • Dan Powell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished the chair off.

7f221d4a7a.jpg

5b0ba6e548.jpg

6371f84b32.jpg

Any criticism appreciated. :)
  • Dan Powell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Done the best I can on the wall.

References
    One of the main difficulties was that the lighting in the Google Maps HDR photo was quite harsh on everything, meaning that it was difficult to see whether or not something is stained with a colour, or is just reflecting that colour.

73dcb250f5.jpg

Texture Maps
    My Metalness map has midrange grey values in it because of how the panel in the TARDIS set has been created. I imagine the BBC set designers have put wallpaper (or something else that they can stick on) over MDF Wood and then painted it with metallic paints to make it look sort-of like metal, even though it's not actually metal - again making it difficult to texture things; because I'm trying to make it look like the set.

94055b6f72.jpg

Toolbag Screenshots:

2ef71474bc.jpg

91583fea6c.jpg

a28dbb41e3.jpg

As always, any feedback would be appreciated - this is the best I've been able to do so far but to me it still feels wrong; I'm just not knowledgable enough about texturing to know what exactly is wrong with it at this point (I.E. what texture map needs improving?)
  • Dan Powell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just thought I'd post up some more screenshots of work.

Stairs:

2223d1344c.jpg

d3f493f1ae.jpg

ac5faf528e.jpg

Railings

dd467f3fad.jpg

I've also added more stuff into the UE4 scene but the lighting is still pretty terrible at the moment. To be honest I'm not really sure how to set up proper lighting for this scene considering everything is lit by lots of small lights, and using Emissive/Glow to light in Unreal is incredibly inefficient.

506429e409.jpg

72cc1fc76a.jpg

There's 54 lights on the rotating time rotor (the big mechanism in the centre with the symbols).

34 discs on the walls, each disc contains 36 little blue lights on it. Each wall also has three white lights at the top.

The rotor in the centre has 6 "lightsaber-like" lights in it, underneath the central control panel there's also lighting in the stand.

How do I go about setting this up? I surely can't create one light for each of them, but if I don't then I fear my shadows will be inaccurate.

I've also noticed that there's something wrong with my mipmaps. If you look at the stairs in the UE4 screenshots, the texture is blurring very soon and I have to go very close to it to get the full texture resolution.

Here's reference imagery of the sort of lighting I'd like to aim for:

0373948b11.jpg
  • Chimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    you DEFINITELY need to write a little script to have it bigger on the inside, perhaps scale the tardis as you go in or something. Nah that'd look odd, perhaps something else. It's too late to think, but this environment definitely excites me enough to babble about this :)
  • tom1843
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Has this project gone dark? It was starting to look amazing!

- Tom