Home Technical Talk

3ds Max 2015 decided to be a jerk

So I was using 3ds max 2015 student version and it randomly decided to freak out.

After freezing up and ctrl+alt+deleting to end 3ds max I restarted it.

Rather than resetting all the hotkeys to default, it seems like max just picked a random button on the keyboard for all of the hotkeys.

for example:

ctrl+s was set to soft selection
w was set to maximize/minimize viewport.
G is the hotkey to turn the grid on or off, but not anymore! it just changes the active viewport to "Grid Planes" whatever the heck that means.

Max default is "w" for move and ..every program ever's "ctrl+s" is save.

what do?

EDIT:
Also, my internet connection at school lagged out and posted this thread twice. If a mod can please please delete the other one, thank you!

Replies

• monster
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    Make sure "Keyboard shortcut override toggle" is on. It's the square icon with an up arrow right before the Snap toggles.

If that doesn't work you can go to Customize > Customize UI and Defaults Switcher and pick Default UI.
  • tonyd927
    monster wrote: »
    Make sure "Keyboard shortcut override toggle" is on. It's the square icon with an up arrow right before the Snap toggles.

If that doesn't work you can go to Customize > Customize UI and Defaults Switcher and pick Default UI.

did that. did that. Still the same thing
  • monster
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    Try this:

Exit 3ds Max.
    Rename this folder: C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsMax\2015 - 64bit
    Start 3ds Max.

If that doesn't work, then you'll need to re-install the product.
  • tonyd927
    Ok So I am completely beyond frustrated here.

WHY does 3ds max RANDOMLY decide to reset the hotkeys to default?

I am working on a completely DIFFERENT pc.
  • Goeddy
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    tonyd927 wrote: »
    Ok So I am completely beyond frustrated here.

WHY does 3ds max RANDOMLY decide to reset the hotkeys to default?

I am working on a completely DIFFERENT pc.

ehm im not sure, but you might have answered your question?

anyhow, my gues would be there is something wrong with your usersettings or something.
    you know you can save your hotkey configuration out as a file.
    just do that, and everytime it resets your hotkeys, just load them back in from that file.
  • tonyd927
    Goeddy wrote: »
    ehm im not sure, but you might have answered your question?

anyhow, my gues would be there is something wrong with your usersettings or something.
    you know you can save your hotkey configuration out as a file.
    just do that, and everytime it resets your hotkeys, just load them back in from that file.

No I didnt answer my question, Im saying the same problem continues to happen even on a different pc. And I know I can save out hotkey configs and reload them, but I shouldnt really havto do that. It shouldnt revert to defaults on its own
  • monster
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    I've had some students who were unable to save their hotkeys unless they run three 3DS Max as an administrator. Please check if that works.
  • shaka
    Offline / Send Message
    shaka polycounter lvl 7
    Yeah, it's a windows problem. The preferences are saved on C://, so if you don't have full rights on that OS, Max can't write the preferences files on exit, so it doesn't save anything.
  • Grusti
    Offline / Send Message
    Grusti polycounter lvl 10
    I put all my setting in dropbox and I don't have any problem with them in 3ds max