Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Yet Another Portfolio Critique Thread!

It's kinda scary for me to do this, but I want to share my portfolio to get some feedback.

threedimensional.graphics

The last piece in the list I'm currently working on the texture. I'll get feedback separately on that. I'd love some feedback on the website itself and the work on there so far. I'm thinking once I've finished the texture on the tractor that I will model a tank. I did one in the past (http://imgur.com/a/6X9lz) and I really like how the high poly came out. However, I don't want to use this one for a variety of reasons. When I do this tank I'll time myself to make sure I can deliver at a decent rate (I think I read something like 6 weeks for a vehicle? Does that sound right?)

I'm hoping I can do some freelance soon and then sometime move onto studio work. Is this realistic for me? A friend of mine who works for born ready games said I was good enough to do some freelance when I showed him the Pip-boy. Is he correct? I'd like to think I was ready, but I have trouble managing my self-esteem and not just seeing my work as a load of imperfections. If I'm not ready, what do I need to work on to push it there?

So yeah, would love some feedback and advice!

Replies

• ghaztehschmexeh
    100 views and no comments? :( No one has an opinion?
  • RobeOmega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    100 views and no comments? :( No-one has an opinion?

Okay then.

I like the l115a3 highpoly and the renders of that. But I feel the textures let it down a lot
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    Ayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

So that pip boy is looking bad ass with textures. I like it but maybe less high poly shots. The rifle is nice too but it's also a rifle. I wouldn't keep the other thing. Not that it's bad I just don't know what it is. You need some environments m8. Btw your plastic on the pip boy is super fucking spot on, only complaint is that its really worn but perfectly clean? Also the tank is cool but the top metal looks more wobly thank it should I think. I feel like while you have some decent work you need more things that are standing out, everyone has guns and tanks (not that I didn't have some in there too). Do a really bad ass scene or some kinda interesting asset or both.
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The amount of time really depends on the importance & level-of-detail for the vehicle, but 6 weeks seems like a long time for most game-quality models. 3 weeks is probably closer for everything other than 'hero' vehicles used in racing games, and 3 DAYS isn't unreasonable for low-poly, mobile games. Senior artists tend to be very efficient with their time, and develop all sorts of tricks & shortcuts to speed things along.

You certainly have the skill for professional work, my only concern would be your speed, which will improve over time. Freelancers tend to be given very specific deadlines, and it's critical for you to deliver a quality product on time; truthfully, the companies would generally prefer a good product on-time than a great product that's late. It also requires a great deal of self-discipline to put in your 8-10 hours every day without any distractions (e.g. watching cat videos) at home.

Your web-page layout overall is fine, but the background is a little dark - I'd probably lighten the black parts of the wood 10-20%.

You should include a mailto: link on the banner as well as the contact page.

I'd like to see a direct relation between the skills mentioned on your CV and your projects - just a short blurb indicating PBR materials, show both hi- and lo-poly versions of a model, etc. I didn't notice any game engines listed on your CV; this is fine for studio work, but most game companies expect at least exposure to one of the popular engines.

I prefer a simple "on hover" effect on the main page, but that's really just a personal preference; when there is one, I like the proper version to appear when the mouse is over it, while the default appearance could be dark or monochrome.

Your best project should be the first - this is usually your most recent one.

In each project, the best image MUST always be the first one. Never start with an untextured image.

I really don't understand your choice of background; my first impression was of a lit, underwater environment. Stick to a simple, non-distracting gradient; the focus should be upon your art.

I'd tone-down the normal map on your pip-boy. The character is... disturbing. If you don't want to blatantly use someone's published work, then change to a more generic, mostly text display; the green teeth matched to the pip-boy character is odd. Also, the interlaced lines should be thinner, and should affect the character. The power meter on the upper-left feels rather flat; I'd expect at least a little reflection from both it and the main screen. For some reason, the arm-hole has been filled-in...

Untextured projects feel unfinished, and you shouldn't include them. So, hurry up and texture that tractor!
  • Meloncov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meloncov greentooth
    You definitely have some really, really solid hard surface modelling, and some pretty good texturing. What's going to make your life harder when looking for work is a lack of variety. There are certainly jobs out there that are just hard surface stuff, but most are going to want you to do organic environment assets as well.

If you can put together some organic stuff and some full scenes, you'll definitely have an easier time getting work.
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    Thanks guys, lots of good advice here. I'm concerned about being told to do some environment art. I thought this was a separate job to weapon/vehicle artists. I wouldn't mind doing some environment art in the future, but I have basically zero experience in this area and I feel like my time would be better spent improving my hard surface stuff. Or would it be worth me learning some stuff and producing a mediocre scene just to show I can? I feel like it would take me a big chunk of time to get decent at environments. Or perhaps I'm overestimating how hard it would be to transition?

@Alex: You say to do interesting pieces but tell me not to include a badass screw-propelled tractor. Make up your mind! :P
  • LMP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    Nice stuff.

One little things kind of throws me off... when I click your thumbnails... I have to scroll down to see the final beauty render with textures on it, I feel like those should be first.
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Yea final renders first

Couldnt you take 3D.graphics ? that be easier : P

Well first, cut pictures by 1-2 on pip boy and like 33% of the L1183. There is too many of the same. You show me what you want to show, I am not a chooser there. Its your duty to lead me, the viewer on.

Unified presentation is nice, but they all share one flaw, that is a greyscale shader with a yellow background. Do it the cheap way and overlay just a little yellow tint, so it dosnt look out of place. Greyscale is something very unnatural and you cannot mix them in such a way. Your bottom banners are kinda very big, and showing tools used all the time is a little over the top, but its not too bad and can stay as is.

For your CV page, put in some colored text to break things up a little, its work reading that text. Its kinda clean but could be better. Your contact could easily be on your CV page, also the contact page looks small and unimpressive, just not nice.

Modeling and bake all looks top, texture work could be improved however. On the pip boy you play with this special plastic texture, I remember seeing such a surface once, so its credible to me. But this is a nice touch, and it would work if you had it on lets say 2-3 places around the buttons and so on. But you let this thing carry your whole piece. There is not much else texture work going on aside of that. There is no real unique detail aside. You could easily make that a lot better by just adding some more varied kinds of wear and whatever. Same for the rifle. Too uniform, too less unique and large scale detail. The chrome barrel looks kinda strange aswell, maybe ao missing ? Yes looks like it. If you want cheap impressions, put on some duct tape, a sticker, some things a person carved in, a red text marker spot somewhere, make stuff stand out. The yellow buttons on the pip boy dont have real material definition, some value is off, it dosnt read. Website looks good, wood background ok why not, nothing to complain about aside.

Edit: your images are all clickable and open on a new page, but its about the same size, and it shows the
    weebly website icon, so it dosnt help and is trivial. Id cut that

Edit2: Tank looks good, show it, you only have 3 other things. Nobody cares for the time you needed when viewing it. You did it, that counts, dont wake asleep dogs. Also sure you can apply for jobs, but id take the 1-2 days and push it a little further as i described, but its better than most already id say

Hope that helps : P
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Echo echo.. Beauty first, HP and breakdown last. Don't overdo it with the breakdown, it's tedious to scroll..
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, lots of good advice here. I'm concerned about being told to do some environment art. I thought this was a separate job to weapon/vehicle artists. I wouldn't mind doing some environment art in the future, but I have basically zero experience in this area and I feel like my time would be better spent improving my hard surface stuff. Or would it be worth me learning some stuff and producing a mediocre scene just to show I can? I feel like it would take me a big chunk of time to get decent at environments. Or perhaps I'm overestimating how hard it would be to transition?

@Alex: You say to do interesting pieces but tell me not to include a badass screw-propelled tractor. Make up your mind! :P

Needs a dildo on it m8.
    Make it more interesting and render it in something that isn't marmoset, use keyshot and a better angle and FOV. Make it more interesting m8y.
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    Hey guys! A little bit of writing about feelings and stuff:

At first I took some of the criticism quite hard and to heart. I guess I didn't anticipate the difference in feeling between getting crits on something you're currently working on and things you hope are good enough already and good enough to land you a job. But I feel like I must have matured emotionally somewhere along the way because instead of wallowing in self-pity I did this:

I stopped thinking about it for a bit. I decided to distance myself from these pieces for a while. Instead of worrying about having to learn loads of stuff about environmental art, I got excited about it. I guess I've turned off the excited "gonna get a job!" mode and shifted back into learning mode. I'm gonna pull my finger out and work my ass off a bunch more. The thing that troubles me with the texturing is that I haven't quite figured out how to push things that bit further. To get that unique grungy look. This is an area I would actually really like some practical advice on. Approaches etc.

Anyway so here is my game plan:
    1. Gonna stop sleeping too much
    2. Gonna make sure I'm doing a full days work every day on my art
    3. Going to learn a whole bunch of environment art stuff
    4. Going to do some scenes, hopefully improve my texturing in the process.
    5. Next I will model a new tank, trying to get it done within an acceptable time-frame.
    6. Revisit existing pieces and website with a fresh feeling for them, using the advice from this thread.

@Alex The high polies are done in keyshot. I do agree though the angles and stuff always felt a bit off. I'm hoping the texture will make it more interesting, going for a very rusty/old look.

@shrike Thanks for the advice! And I would have loved 3d.graphics but two letter domains are quite rare, I would have loved to have gotten it.

Anyway thanks for all the amazing feedback guys. I'll be sure to update this thread in the future when I've updated my folio.

PS I decided to get a little greentooth tattoo when I get my first job, to commemorate the awesome community that got me there :)
  • Meloncov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meloncov greentooth
    Thanks guys, lots of good advice here. I'm concerned about being told to do some environment art. I thought this was a separate job to weapon/vehicle artists.

It can be. It's often (usually? Honestly not sure.) not.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bruh that's the attitude. I've gotten to the point I have almost no attachment to my work and even if i like something I'm all cool with changing it. I'm lucky to be learning from some smart people too:) you got mad skillz bro just get this all tied up and apply somewhere. I think you just need 1 really bad ass environment or two more small but well done ones to show what you can do besides props.
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    Thanks man, it means a lot to hear that. I was thinking of doing this environment for my first piece. Just because there isn't too much going on an I can learn things like making good tiling textures and vertex blending. But I feel like it's still got a lot of character that I can try and convey, plus I will probably make it an evening scene to get some nice lighting going on. little-brain-hospital-haikyo-2012.jpg
  • BetaRazer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BetaRazer polycounter lvl 6
    I understand that I might not be the best person to give out this sort of advice/criticism. Here are a few things I'd like to point out.

Pip Boy - The screws and buttons lack some material detail, but the rest of the plastic could use some more detail, some dirt, grime, dents, degraded sections, etc. Also, label the textures - I can tell what they are, but others may not; this you want to demonstrate: Diffuse, (?), Normal, Spec/ Gloss.

L115 - Same point as above regarding texture sheets. Only thing I have to point out is the the shiny chrome metal in the bolt section looks a little odd in comparison to the rest of the metal. And the stock is olive green instead of sandy brown. This may not be the case, but could be an artistic quirk.

Tractor - Again, label it and tell the world what it is. And texture it too! I'd like to see the outcome.

I find the backdrop for each of your images a little offputting. By all means, use a PBR tool for your renders, but change the back to a simple colour in contrast.

Site - First thing; threedimmension.graphics as a domain name? Try to think of something more memorable, that people can easily remember. Short and sweet ought to work well.

The background is ok, as it's not distracting. A simple colour might be better, so that you can make the art speak for itself more.

Also curious; did you build this site with Weebly? If you did, you should consider adding some extra HTML/CSS and really go to town.

Navigation works for me, I have no trouble finding my way around your site.

Presentation - Fine, the pages fit well at a good resolution.

Pages - General rule of thumb; if you want to blow others away with your art, show off the beauty shot first. I'm not convinced that a non-textured model is the best to show first. It needs to tell some kind of progression, from the fully complete shot, other renders, wireframe, textures etc.

No description on each piece. Can't always tell what they are, exception being the L115, as I personally recognize it. When I look up at the page name, I then find out what it is. Might be an idea to put a heading at the start, with some text to describe it.

CV - Add a downloadable CV, if in the event that others can read it offline. Try to ensure that the skills you list match the art you showcase.

Contact page - add a contact form. Some simple Javascript can solve this. Can prove useful.

Good luck.
  • Swarm22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swarm22 polycounter lvl 15
    In regards to only seeing your imperfections in your art. Get used to it, it's not unusual, It's that way for everybody. You spend so long looking at something you will always get to the point where all you can see are the problems with it. Thankfully, it's usually only you that notices most of them.