Home General Discussion

iPad - recommended apps?

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
I'm new to the iPad (16gb iPad2 - had it about a week - it's a gift) and wondered what apps people would recommend for it.

I'm looking primarily at texture manipulation and painting apps - preferably something with layers etc.

I don't expect it can handle any 3d, or can it?

Can I expect it to be a useful tool in any aspect of games work?

I'm strictly a PC person so I'm feeling my way and learning as I go. The lack of a visible file structure is already driving me nuts. lol

Replies

• Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    ArtRage & Sketchbook Pro are the two decent art apps I'm aware of but I don't think you're really going to do much production work on it.

The music production apps are pretty amazing, I've got too many to name off the top of my head right now, I can share my opinions when I get home.
  • Arkadius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arkadius polycounter lvl 13
    Procreate is suppose to be pretty good, I Preordered one of those new wacom pens for the Ipad. Once it comes in I'll buy an Ipad and procreate. :P Heard Ipad air 2 is around the corner too!

http://procreate.si/

http://www.wacom.com/en/us/creative/intuos-creative-stylus-2
  • Chimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    For painting: Procreate by FAR.

And, no not really. Nothing I've ever done on the iPad has REALLY contributed toward development further than as rough concept art, and I've been painting on it since the iPad 1 launched.

So far as music? It's more capable, especially when you plug in a midi keyboard but again, it only really works for sketches - anything remotely good I've done on there has ended up getting transferred to the computer and reworked in Logic.

If you put aside actually using it for work and treat it as a fun device, there's a LOT of amazingly creative music apps on the ipad. There's a blog called Palm Sounds that tends to cover a lot on that front.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    For music I like it for the opposite reason, using the iPad as a midi controller plugged into something else. I used an app that lets you one finger play chords and plugged it into fruity loops via wireless midi to do the lead on this little test https://soundcloud.com/ysg/funkytechnoshit
  • knacki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    knacki polycounter lvl 11
    1. My favourite is procreate, it's made for multitouch ipad only and has lots of innovative features and a cool brush engine. Combined with an Adonit Jot touch 4 (guess not compatible with ipad 2) it's real fun and receives serious updates time by time. Export to i.e. psd is possible via email or dropbox.

2. Sketch Club feels much better than one would say on first view.
    Big community and lots of custum brushes a bit like photoshop.

3. I like Artrage but it's not compatible with my pen. It is possible to record your drawing session as a script and replay it on your desktop Art Rage in much higher resolution. Cool feature ....I've never used :D Much less comfortable than procreate, but watercolour.

I didn't try sketchbook on my ipad.

It is possible to do draw some great stuff on the ipad, but it's a lot of zooming if you go for precise work.

I really spend some time & money on ipad but it gets basicly not more than sketching & fun.

I tried some 3D apps, like forger and 123D creature. They are fun too but nothing more imho.
    Tree sketch is a fantastic approach for really painting 3d trees. Very cool and free.
    Amazing! http://www.solidsmack.com/apps/must-have-app-treesketch-3-0-procedural-
    modeling-of-trees/

idraw for vector drawings ;)

I really only played with sound apps. Soundprism is fun but never know how to use it seriously.
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    Thanks for all the recommendations!

I expected that the iPad would be more of a sketching tool - especially having watched some conductive stylus reviews and seeing how laggy they can be - so that's cool.

As far as music goes, I never thought about that but I use FL Studio with a midi keyboard on my laptop (Asus G73) so I'll have to do some experimentation with that as it sounds promising.

The iPad does make a very good media device, for tutorials and such - and I can see it slotting into my workflow as a handy reference tool.
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    I love sketching with my iPad. Procreate lets you export a video of all your drawings.

I also use ArtPose for reference. It lets you pose a 3d character and change camera and perspective.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/ArtPose/271644376354237

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPp2OMY2LYs"]iPad Drawing "No Further" speed paint - YouTube[/ame]
  • VPrime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VPrime polycounter lvl 9
    Procreate is really good. There is also Paper by 53, it is simple but nice.

You should also get our free game creation app hyperPAd. It is free and pretty powerful (you can even export for the App Store). :)

www.hyperpad.com major changes coming in the near future too! Like a community to show off your game and play others, shaders, updated interface, and more!
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    if you like to read technical documents and ebooks, CHMate (windows help file reader) and FastPdf+ are good buys. FastPdf is really fast, especially on older iPads. I got a couple of Maya books as PDFs, which I can read that way.

If you want to practice programming, Pythonista gives you a Python interpreter on your iPad. Flex:player is a really good video player. Or you can use e.g. StreamToMe for streaming videos, tutorials, etc. from your PC. It's very easy to use.

Procreate is great! I have SketchBook Pro too, but on the iPad 3 it's just too sluggish compared to Procreate.