Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hunter - NavenTale Character

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Levus polycounter lvl 11
Hey Polycounters!

I wanna share with you my new character model made for NevenTale game (www.neventale.com).
86000 triangles with 8192 maps (diff, normal, spec, gloss)

Hope you will enjoy, any c&c are appreciated of course!
Cheers!

Full res HERE: http://levus3d.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/hunter_big_color_01.jpg
hunter_hd_color_01.jpg
hunter_hd_clay_01.jpg
hunter_hd_clay_02.jpg
hunter_clay_03.jpg
hunter_clay_04.jpg
hunter_mesh_01.jpg
hunter_texture.jpg

Replies

• Qdwach
    Offline / Send Message
    Qdwach polycounter lvl 7
    86000 triangles with 8192 maps (diff, normal, spec, gloss)

Is that the standard for characters now? Damn!

Looks flipping really great, can we see some texture maps ?
  • Levus
    Offline / Send Message
    Levus polycounter lvl 11
    Qdwatch, not sure about "current standard" but they want it, they got it:)
    I've added texture above, nothing special, just typical game art texture.
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Looks fantastic man! Love the materials. My only crit is the pouches on his belt look like they are floating and not anchored at all.
  • Shurkuris
    Offline / Send Message
    Shurkuris polycounter lvl 3
    From a practical standpoint, your guy has to many belt pouches...

The two on his backside seem to serve nothing more than for pickpockets to steal from.

The ones that would be where his arms would be when resting upright, walking or sleeping on his side would be a physical hindrance.

I think at best he should have two pouches at his front, one on both sides or just one side. While having a satchel or a pack to carry anything else heavy.
  • erroldynamic
    Offline / Send Message
    erroldynamic polycounter lvl 18
    Very awesome character. Those boots are frickin' killer!
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Goodness. This looks so awesome. Very clean topo and texture.
  • DWalker
    The pouches are also anachronistic - pouches from that time we almost always sacks of varying sizes, occasionally with drawstrings to keep them closed. Proper, rectangular pouches with buckles would be uncommon before the middle of the nineteenth century.

He's also missing weapons - or the scabbards to hold them. At the least, I'd expect a sword on one hip counter balanced by a long dagger on the other. Some mercenaries were virtually walking arsenals, with a wide array of knives, axes, daggers, clubs, and swords.

You might want to add scars to the armor to match the scars on his face; a few deep cuts and dents in the normal map, and more numerous discolored areas from glancing blows.

With chest armor that heavy, I'd expect his cowl to be a chain coif, but a helmet - worn, carried, or dangling from a strap - might be better.

The knees are a bit odd; they just don't seem to match the rest of the boot.
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
  • rollin
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    Hi, Levus,

nice seeing something of your new work!

What I think feels bit off is the lack of material variation. Everything seems to be made out of the same leather and there is no war and tear at he most used spots.

Simple example: the belt should use another type of leather and should show some marks indicating that the owner is using always the same hole of the belt and bending it always around the same areas.

Also I would expect that the metal bits would have a higher spec then the leather parts. At least I would expect a less rougher surface.

But this is all tweaking stuff. I really like this one!!

Cheers :)
  • Levus
    Offline / Send Message
    Levus polycounter lvl 11
    Hi guys!

Thx for the good advices about pouches, armor, and gear in general, you have right of course,
    a lot of stuff here might be better fitted,better thought.
    I really appreciate feedback like that.
    With my next model, will have it in my mind.

Rollin, haha, nice to see you again, long time:)
    I wish I will have some free time to fix this leather color variation, thx!