Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Monthly CHARACTER Challenge | October 2014 | the Soothsayer

Replies

• kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    DiegoTeran good job!
    I clicked on the 'see full rez' button here and also got a smaller size than the shot you posted a link to. Maybe there is a size limit, I never experienced this on polycount before though.

The wire looks good. My only crit is it seem like the polys are evenly distributed. Seems that on places where there is less curvature or animation action like the chest that there could be less of them.

I should also do a cage for mine as well!
  • Primarx12
  • DiegoTeran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DiegoTeran polycounter lvl 11
    kanga wrote: »

The wire looks good. My only crit is it seem like the polys are evenly distributed. Seems that on places where there is less curvature or animation action like the chest that there could be less of them.

I should also do a cage for mine as well!

hey yeah you know i asked a friend who worked on dawngate and does these type of characters and as far as I know, the wires are supposed to be even and straight for the most part regardless of/if that specific section will animate/deform a lot or not.

overall this guy is sitting at 9k triangles which is fairly on the low side, so overall if anything not worried about it seeing as the count is not affecting it :)

ps* I will how ever message my buddy and ask to make sure.

also thank you for the nice compliment :)
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Deoce wrote: »
    I guess failing is not a bad thing, i must admit i learned a lot with this one. :\

Anyway here is a pic and the wireframe too.

Personally I wouldn't call this a failure at all, think you did a great job!
  • Fefs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fefs polycounter lvl 3
    Hi I finally had some free time and finished this challenge >_<!!

[SKETCHFAB]386e247e20434371b6f39d152bfdbde9[/SKETCHFAB]

The kitten here was in total with 13k faces and 25k tris.

The weapon with 651 faces and 1298 tris.

What do you think about this polycount? Is enough? Is a lot? For this final quality that I made of the model?

Thanks!
    (it took a little while..... but I like to always finish what I start, nothing to jump for the next and forget this.)

And now to the next !
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    25k tris might be a bit much for a naked character with skirt. But I think it is alright. Glad you finish this :)
  • juancaratino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    juancaratino polycounter lvl 7
    Ok DONE

ho wait!! :poly122:

31338ty.jpg
  • independ-hans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    independ-hans polycounter lvl 13
  • juancaratino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And, still working on it

ok ok out of time but....:\

6r3j42.jpg
  • darkmag07
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    darkmag07 polycounter lvl 12
    I don't particularly care about the deadline. Your work is paying off juancaratino! That wisp is bringing everything together.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great job man !! This looks really really nice.
  • DavidCruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    yup nice work, i like the evil thing, ?spirit?
  • Pav3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pav3d insane polycounter
    Great stuff juancaratino! Really nice anatomy and the evil spirit thing too!
  • juancaratino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Great finish juancaratino!

seeing the progress from the beginning its come a very long way. I'm sure you learned a lot in the process too. Id say, to push the realism further its best to consider the fact that muscle has skin and fat that covers it, so you want to smooth more areas out so its not quite so defined (like carved in). Even if its a mythical creature there would still be areas where its not so defined, like the area between the deltoid and bicep for example. Even in ultra lean individuals it doesn't look like that but perhaps you saw it in an anatomical model without skin and fat so you did it that way.

Couple of crits on the presentation. I think the reds and browns are too saturated and the current lighting setup doesn't match the background you chose. unless you want to rework the lighting of your character I think it would actually look a lot better with just a dark grey background and vignette. Perhaps you could consider some bloom or more glow on the glowy bits too and kill some of the darkness it has. A bit more color variation in the wood (along with desaturating it) would go a long way I think. But very nice overall I'm impressed with you progress man!

[edit] one last thing... The background has an obvious painterly feel, and yours has an obvious cg sorta feel. Which is ok, but the two sorta clash. Just another reason why I think the background doesn't really fit. I think its a great attempt, but it still needs some work to really mesh with everything. The highpoly render you have is an extremely strong piece btw, I'd challenge you to get your final color render to that level!

[edit2] Sorry just one more thing I noticed. the highpoly actually looks more correct in terms of what I was saying about the fat and skin over the muscle. I think the crit is still valid but less so after looking more carefully at the highpoly. That said, I think you may have too much cavity or something in your diffuse. Its not reading nearly as well as your highpoly did in that render above in terms of the skin/muscle/and fat transitions.
  • juancaratino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great finish juancaratino!

seeing the progress from the beginning.......

Ho, thank for all the time you take for answer me and the advice
    I take note of everything you say me and i will try to rework de presentation, it is not my strongest side of the CG art
    Thank again
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I find the green glow on the subject's skin/cloths a little too distracting. Like it's blocking me from seeing the coolest shit.

vlcsnap-2013-09-02-20h46m55s249.png