Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

New Texture Resource!

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Joel Gafford polycounter lvl 9
joelgafford.com

joelgafford_store.jpg

I took my best 50 tileable textures and uploaded them to my wordpress based website with WooCommerce. I tested it out with "sandbox accounts," and I'm pretty sure it works.

I just wanted to get some feedback on whether these textures are up to snuff with today's current technologies such as pbr, or are these images "last gen" mostly? Also do you think the price is reasonable, and should I try to make a subscription option as I plan to upload my 3D models as well in the future?

There are 5 pages with 10 textures each, but I'm thinking about changing it so that there can be more than just 10 per page?

Tell me what you guys think!

joelgafford.com

Replies

• Lucas Annunziata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucas Annunziata polycounter lvl 13
    Do these have normal maps? Are they PBR ready? If not, then charging $1.99 for them is a little overboard when there are multiple resources for free tiling textures. The previews are really blurry, so you'd be better off having a watermark than showing super low res versions of em.
  • Odow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    Like lucas, 1.99 is way too much if they aren't PBR ready.

plus instead of either super low or watermark (both are a big no-no when it comes to buy an art product), you should put them on a sphere so people see with light/shadow and the tilling.
  • Joel Gafford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it! I'll work to get better previews of them, clearly show they aren't pbr textures, and I'll bring the prices down to say, $0.99?
  • Joel Gafford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm thinking about purchasing an indie license for Allegorithmic's "Bitmap2Material" software. I've been playing around with the trial version, and this is the result I got when using my 26th texture as the source image.

I love how easy this program is to use, and I'm planning on re-uploading the textures I currently have on my website with the additional maps that this software creates.

Anyone have any input they'd like to give? Would $1.99 be a reasonable price for a single material if it had all the additional maps (metallic, normal, height, AO, curvature, roughness, etc.)

Thanks again.

Sketchbook_10-1-14.jpg
  • Odow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    All I can see is the watermark. I doesn't do you any good, specially when the picture is tilt, you really don't need those. put your name on the bottom or trunk them so the preview isn't tilable, but drop the abusive watermark everywhere.
  • Joel Gafford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The watermark you see in the screenshot is a result of the trial version of "Bitmap2Material 3." Since that post I have purchased the indie license for the program, and the watermarks are not visible anywhere in my website store.

(I agree the watermark is quite obnoxious).

Here's what a (zoomed out) screenshot of what my store looks like at the moment.

Here's the website link joelgafford.com

Joel_Gafford_PBR_Test.jpg
  • Stinkhorse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinkhorse polycounter lvl 12
    I think you need to consider your competition here. On one side you have CG textures, which is free if you want to do the small amount of work to create bump/normals/etc, and on the other side you have Quixel, which you have to pay for but do the heavy lifting and then some. I'm not sure you're filling a niche that hasn't already been met in spades.