UPDATE

cyberpunk_girl_by_kdoyle9-d8b09en.jpg

cyberpunk_girl_full_body_shot_by_kdoyle9-d8b0a29.jpg

cyberpunk_girl_head_shots_by_kdoyle9-d8b0a9g.jpg

cyberpunk_girl_torso_shots_by_kdoyle9-d8b0ahq.jpg

cyberpunk_girl_boots_by_kdoyle9-d8b0am2.jpg

cyberpunk_girl_wireframe_by_kdoyle9-d8b0as8.jpg

cyberpunk_girl_zbrush_by_kdoyle9-d8b0ax0.jpg

Hello everybody Im making a Character based on Keith Parkinson Cyberpunk painting. I'm going to be tweaking certain accesories but essentially it will be based on his epic painting.

jl3zms.jpg

So far here is what ive got. I'm trying to give her a female fitness body type, and Everything is pretty rough right now, Still need to do the ears so ignore them for now, and the jacket im still just blocking out, the eyebrows this time around im going to do with hair cards cause i saw some shots of the characters in Order 1886 that did that. But I'd love to hear what you guys think so crit away :D Oh and placeholder hair.

Also I started her on September 18th im hoping to have her done in under a month I want to work on my speed of making characters.

Replies

• tierzilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tierzilla polycounter lvl 9
    looking really nice , sub!
    btw whats going on on the abs?
  • Phaeton1911
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Phaeton1911 polycounter lvl 4
    chisel her chin just a little and smooth out the abs and you're on to a winner there
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    Looking good man :) Not sure but maybe the shoulders are just a touch too wide?
  • erroldynamic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    erroldynamic polycounter lvl 18
    Looks like you're off to a good start. The arms look a little too muscular compared to the concept, unless that's what you're going for. Fun project!
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thats a badass concept!

Like previous posters said, she seems to have some manly features. Broad shoulders, muscular arms, and maybe wider hips?

I also think a lot of her appeal is the chunky forms with her jacket and those boots. Look at how thick those boots are on her legs in the concept. Your current ones look very long and slender. Takes away from that chunky, 80s cyberpunk feel imo.
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Yea, the abs look odd but are probably WIP. They need to be molded more instead of just carved into the surface if that makes sense. Looking forward to seeing this progress!
  • Kend
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kend greentooth
    tierzilla - Thanks man, I just quickly drew them out with the dam standard brush just to have there placement down.

Phaeton1911 - Thanks man :D

Disanski - Thanks man :D Ya i made her shoulders a little too broad hopefully i fixed it iin the update below.

erroldynamic - Thanks, ya im going to go in and change that was going in the direction of like a ftiness model but ive decided to follow the concept more. Definately a fun one.

gsokol - Hell yeah it is Keith Parkinson rocks. Ya i accidentally went to muscular, so hopefully in the update below I fixed it. Ya im definately going to have to go in and fix the boots up I agree about the chuky feel.

Slosh - Ya the abs im gonna fix up. Thanks.

Okay so ive gone in and fixed the body up and made her less muscular and removed the manly features she had, I also have a quick update on the gloves, im changing the accesories a little bit cause I had some cool ideas wit that, so im gonna put the gloves in the concept underneath the brace i created.. Also the abs arent fully sculpted yet still trying to get the overall shape and proportions down first.

1zcodc6.jpg
    m806e9.jpg
  • vickgaza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vickgaza polycounter lvl 6
    I`m liking the new proportions much more, looks great. You might want to widen the hips a tad more maybe ? so it compensates with the width of the shoulders.
    I also think palms seem a bit small ?

Looking forward to see her detailed . Good stuff !
  • Kend
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kend greentooth
    vickgaza - Thanks man ya the width of the hips are something i always run into problems with.

General question for everyone, wats a good measurement for the width of the body?
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Just to chime in, I think the new hips are pretty much perfect in regards to proportion, and to widen them further might be pushing it. I do feel like she's missing a little fat on the inward facing section of her upper arm, especially if you compare it directly to the concept. Her current arms look a bit sinew-y.

Looking fantastic though, looking forward to seeing more progress.
  • Kend
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kend greentooth
    Bagelhero - Thanks man, ya i gotta carried away with the muscle on her ive been reworking them arms :)

Hey everybody ive gotten really far with the sculpt everything looking good just wanted to post a wip of the face, I went in and cleaned her face up some more really happy with proportions and shape of this face im going to go in and sculpt the finer details of her face next just wondering wat you guys thought bout her face.

rbz6ty.jpg

Thnaks guys :D
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Looking good, man, loving the forms. I like how it's got that sharp edge without loosing the femininity. Keep going!
  • Xaragoth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaragoth polycounter lvl 8
    Keeeeeeeeeeeend. Staaaaaahp.

You're overloading the place with too much awesome if you keep this up after your Catwoman ;)

Progress looks really good so far.
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    To me, looking at the overall proportions, the abs still bother me. Her chest, thighs, hips, all seem voluptuous yet she has a 6 pack...just stands out as odd to me. I would expect to see a nice rounded belly on her...not necessarily fat but just healthy. Unless she's intentionally sucking in her stomach and flexing, the 6 pack just doesn't seem natural to me. The rest looks great to me so far!
  • Kend
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kend greentooth
    Bagelhero - Thanks man

Xaragoth - Lol Thanks alot man :D Catwoman really raised the bar for me so i gotta keep going!! :D

slosh - Thanks, Ya the abs im gonn a fix havent touched them to much in the last post and in this update still havent fully fixed them so definately gonna do that soon.

Hello everyone sorry for the late update, Been busy I finnally got a Freelance job!! :D so things have been a little busy, but heres my most recent update got a bunch of the accessories done still got more to do especiaaly with the stomach and body, and I still need to add folds to her puffer jacket but heres what I got what u guys think?

PS Im hoping to get this done soon So I can partake in the LOL contest!!!

2ikpr7o.jpg

30usjy8.jpg
  • Kend
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kend greentooth
    Hey everybody So I have the next threee days off so im going to be working through this character to get her done. So for this update I've worked the skin textures more and worked the faceplate, should have the sculpt done tomorow night.

First shot is in basic material second shot is skinshade4.

24dlvno.jpg
  • Kend
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kend greentooth
    So I'm working on the jacket now I started adding the folds to start making it look like the materials its made of. Judging from the concept it looks likes its one of those puffer jackets like this:

2gua7ab.jpg

So this what ive got for the sculpt of the jacket so far, check the concept art at the top post to see if it resembles it. Im almost done the sculpt will definately have it done by end of today and will p[robably start retopoing today as well, Pls check my update at the top and drop crits Thanks :D

2lu5dsk.jpg
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    It's tough to tell. Her jacket looks similar to the guys pants, which I'm assuming are leather. It could be either I think, but the puffer jacket is more fun. This is looking really nice, you picked an interesting concept.
  • Kend
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kend greentooth
    LRoy - Thanks man :D, Ya I was planning on doing a Cyberpunk Character so I was searching for cyberpunk concept art for ideas, but once I came across this I was just hooked. The puffer jacket Is fun looking forward to texturing it and seeing it in Marmoset.
  • rohitsinghbhui
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rohitsinghbhui polycounter lvl 9
    Great updates going on this character here, waiting to be finished.
  • Kend
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kend greentooth
    rohitsinghbui - Thanks man

Ok so I got the sculpt done just tweaking somethings, I went ahead to start the retopo and I have a quick question in regards to the eyebrow area, Ive seen several heads that do the eyebrows in different ways,

heres my WIP of the retopo head for her look at how I did the center of the eybrows in the middle of the brow of the face ( hope im describing it right)

2uhtkcm.jpg

And here is a wireframe of a face from uncharted wat type of eyebrow ridge typology is better.

wireframehead~0.jpg

And also take a look at the sculpt progress in the last post and gimme some crits on the sculpt Thanks :D
  • Kend
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kend greentooth
    Hey guys so I got the retopo pretty much done will be posting the final retopo tonight I just wanted to post The face sculpt Im pretty much down for this look, all I have to do is the skin pores and skin scratches which Ive never done before so its going to be interesting to figure out. Also what you guys think bout the lips detail as well?

kamzxg.jpg
  • Nogre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nogre polycounter lvl 12
    Hi Kend, you done a really nice work here. Her lips look nice to me, i like the fine details, she's beautiful. :poly124: Keep up the good work, I'm looking forward for the finished piece! :thumbup:
  • manilamerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    manilamerc polycounter lvl 6
    I have some curious questions
    Do you work with 2 monitors? Did you buy lots of anatomy books?

and as for the character it looks pretty good so far. Only critique is how close the ears are to the head. I would space it out a bit. I subbed. Can't wait for the finale
  • Kend
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kend greentooth
    Nogre - Thanks alot man :D

Manilamerc - Thanks man, Ya I have two monitors usually i put my reference photos on the other one, and ya i've bought lots of anatomy books, traditional sculpting books, and just searched the internet for all sorts of references and tutorials.
  • spiderDude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spiderDude polycounter lvl 8
    Looking Good!
    The detail on the lips are a bit too clean and too many wrinkles close together. Everybody's lips are different, but some general guidelines I find helpful are to sculpt the wrinkles going both ways(from center to border and vice versa). Add smaller wrinkles around the border of the lips and add the horizontal wrinkles to bring it together.

Here is a super large ref:
    IMG_5526.JPG

A couple of nitpicks:
    * The ball of the nose is lacking some of it's form. That form is like two commas side by side with the tail end tucking into the nostril. Towards the tail end it kind of flattens out.

* On the bridge of the nose there is a subtle bump on both sides.
    LtMT7pO.jpg

* The inner eyelid corner is pretty thin, just inflate it a bit and it's good to go.

I don't know what refs you're using, so check my crits against the refs you are using and see what applies for you.

All in all it's looking great :thumbup:
  • Kend
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kend greentooth
    Spiderdude - Thanks man :D, Thanks for the crits very helpful hopefully I fixed the nose and lips right. Also your stuff is very inspirational keep up the good work.

Also heres the reference I was using for the lips.

14eb3vr.jpg

So here is what i got, I'm calling the sculpt done All I have to sculpt wise is the medallion on the boot but Im stuck on that right now so im gonna fix it later, I also have the retopo pretty much done so hopefully I can start texturing and baking some stuff over the next few days.

6ymyc4.jpg
    25pi7ba.jpg
    11sj878.jpg
  • razz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    razz polycounter lvl 9
    Nice work! Looks like a clean sculpt, good job. Looking forward to see it textured ;]
  • Kend
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kend greentooth
  • tierzilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tierzilla polycounter lvl 9
    this keeps getting better and better , two things i would like to mention , the backside of the boots the part of the heel looks a bit square and i would tune down a bit the contrast and sat of the lipstick.

keep it up!!
  • Kend
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kend greentooth
    tierzilla - Thanks man :D , Ya the lipstick ive noticed looks wierd, I do kind of want her to have lipstick but when I try and paint it becomes very saturated. I'll have to play around with that.

Question for everyone Any tips for makeup such as lipstick and eyeliner I do want to give her a bit of makeup.
  • spiderDude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spiderDude polycounter lvl 8
    Nice :thumbup:

Maybe the edges of the lipstick are too crisp? Most lipsticks I've noticed have this very small subtle falloff on the edges unless if you're going for that really glossy lipstick look.

Thank you for the kind words as well :)
  • Kend
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kend greentooth
    Hey guys so heres a update been doing alot of retopoing and tweaking so heres a update on the face, Im still tweaking things but wanted to know what you guys think? The eyebrows are done with cards and I'm still working them, The picture in my last post of the girl, those are the eyebrows im using as reference, also im going to be adding makeup to the eye just wanted to get the skin shader down first. Next the mohawk Which I think is going to really bring out the personality in her.

Also this is the first time I've done skin pores so what you guys think?

2v166xc.jpg
    2ilbk9l.jpg
    zlq6ac.jpg
  • Denny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Denny polycounter lvl 14
    Your work on Catwoman is awesome, so this is gonna be good! Nothing to give feedback on, just enjoying the show. :)

edit*
    Wait a sec, I looked at your portfolio and LinkedIn. You are not hired yet?
  • Kend
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kend greentooth
    Denny - Thanks man :D no not hired yet, I was contacted by one studio and given a art test and they did like my art test but the other people in the running had more work experience, also I only have one portfolio piece right now so once I start filling up the portfolio that shoulld change hopefully lol
  • Crazy_pixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crazy_pixel interpolator
    Very nice project :)
    I like her face, good job so far. Keep it up dude :thumbup:
  • Kend
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kend greentooth
    Crazy_pixel - Thanks man :D
  • Scythe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scythe greentooth
    can't wait to see where you going with this, Kend :D
  • Kend
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kend greentooth
    Scythe - Thanks alot man :D

Ok here is a quick update been playing around with Quixel suite and learning more about it, its almost done heres the torso area so far.

29ernrn.jpg

25rfhhs.jpg

I thought it would be cool to give her a SORAYAMA Gynoid as a patch for her jacket will be playing around with that some more.

Also i was working on the hair a bit, Im not too certain about this im most likely gonna redo it but might as well post it, I kind of want to redo some of the alphas but we'll see.

2r436sy.jpg
  • Stirls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    Kend, marry me. This is some high quality, next-gen, inspirational over-the-top shit right here!

However, before you do away with the mohawk, perhaps blend it in with some stubble around the scalp? Even some short hair would work. The also shows it bending down forwards, so it's a little less waxed.
  • Kend
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kend greentooth
    Lmfao "I DO", Thanks alot man means alot hearing stuff like that, definately helps to push me farther as a artist so greatly appreciated. :D

Ya I was thinking about the stubble around the scalp or having short hair on the side, it will probably help make the mohawk look less wierd. Definately sumthing im gonna have to play with :)
  • Kend
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kend greentooth
    Another wip, pushing the torso textures and got the pants textured, the jacket is supposed to be one of those puffer jackets and the pants are red spandex. So what do you guys think?

nx6tdy.jpg
  • Stirls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    Is the face projected, or did you paint that? Overall, looks seriously good.
  • erroldynamic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    erroldynamic polycounter lvl 18
    She's looking mighty fine! Clothing looks too glossy/reflective for the type of materials you're going for. I think for the pants, less reflective and a little noisier specularity. When I think of puffer jackets I think of sleeping bag feel/texture, more of a softer highlight and matte feel. Her face and skin look killer!
  • Kend
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kend greentooth
    Stirls - Its a combination of both, I first did a rough base paint to see what direction I wanted to go with the face, than I take photos from 3dsk and using photoshop to adjust the shadows and high lights, hue, saturation etc. to make the photo references i do pick to go in the direction i want, then I use spotlight to project it for certain areas where I think it helps. Than I go in and really push it by painting it in zbrush fixing certain things, I find using just the photo reference is too obvious and looks wierd so I think it really adds extra depth to go in and really paint it up. Justin Holt's texturing tutorial from gnomon workshop is in my opinion the best texturing tutorial hands down and is very helpful to how I do faces.

Erroldynamic - Thanks man, ya I definately messed up on the gloss but I think i fixed it below, as for the puffer jacket im trying to go for a shiny leather puffer jacket as below.

Ok so here is my updated gloss and specular map

2uny0j9.jpg

zr86a.jpg
  • Jigsaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jigsaw polycounter lvl 12
    It's definitely an improvement, but I feel like both materials still have a ways to go... I'm not entirely sure what's going on with the panelling on the jacket, but looking at the area around the shoulder/collar, as well as the red tights, both materials still kind of read like vinyl/latex to me.

The jacket I think is closer to where it should be, but it still feels a little too glossy IMO. Looking at both the original painting and your ref photo there are intense highlights, but less of the super sharp ones on your model.

As for the tights, I'm a little unsure of your choice of photo reference. "Wet-look" leggings are cool and all, but I don't think they're a perfect match for your subject, especially not if you want to accurately replicate that kind of 80's/early 90's feel. To me, the material you're going for right now feels too 2010's contemporary. Aside from that, I think the model might benefit from materials standing out more from one another. I think something like this is closer to what you should be aiming for.

All in all though, stellar work! Love the subject matter and I'm dying to see how she'll look when finished. :)
  • jhoythottle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jhoythottle polycounter lvl 7
    Great model, awesome vest. I'm not a huge fan of those pants. Doesn't seem like it really fits the character. I picture torn up fishnets or something. Also, your skin material looks a little waxy or she has the flu. Your gloss map might need toned down a bit. Also for the skin, I think the yellow tones are too strong, maybe bring in some blues & reds. Great progress so far, love the idea.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Looking awesome, I agree about the skin, but not about the pants - the pants seem like a great design choice. I think when you're chasing a style/theme like punk, it's easy to make a lot of clich
  • Kend
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kend greentooth
    Jigsaw - Thanks man, Ya im going to have to play with the textures for the pants and jacket a bit more to make it feel more real and like the concept.

jhoyhottle - Thanks man, I'm basing this character off the concept posted on the first page so I dont want to change too much and I like the 80's cyberpunk feel those pants have, I fixed the skin texture below I understand what your pointing out about the flu look to the skin,

ysalex - Thanks alot man, Ya the pants give it a cool 80's feel IMO.

Ok so I fixed up the skin textures and I think i pushed it in the right direction, the below screenshot was using the garage preset in marmoset. I know the difference is subtle but I really noticed it helped. Should I push it more?

300v97o.jpg
  • Kend
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kend greentooth
    Ok so its definately been awhile ran into some problems here and there but now im at the end I'll be finishing up the hair tonight then tomorrow posing her :D Heres a update the hair definately still needs work but I thought I'd show a current wip.
    And the finished boots and glove.

9id2c6.jpg

2ibnnet.jpg