Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

SciFi Energy Pistol

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Dethling polycounter lvl 11
Hi,
during my vacations I scribbled a few sketches and decided to bring one of them into 3D, making a portfolio piece out of it.

The plan is to create a ingame model using Max, dDo and some paintovers.

The sketch:
Las_Pistol.jpg

The HighPoly Version:
HP_Render.jpg

Comments & Critics welcome. :)

Replies

• XanthV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XanthV polycounter lvl 7
    Hey it's looking interesting with the details. You should think about some of the scaling on the weapon. For instance the overall design of the gun looks very large and bulky, but the handle is very small and doesn't look like it supports the heft of the weapon. The handle could also use additional length because right now it looks like only half a hand can use that with no roof for any sort of trigger.
    You should look at the functionality of the gun as well, both in construction and shooting. Modern pistols have very few exposed fasteners and buttons to prevent it from catching on anything like a holster or the accidental flip of a safety. Levers and such try to be more flush with the surface.
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    first thing i thought of biowarepistolme3.jpg
  • Dethling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @XanthV: Thanks for the feedback. The "scaling" is a little off for sure and I'm absolutly not happy with the handle at the moment, so I will build a new one.

Regarding the functionality: I don't want a "clean/sleek" design for this gun, it's bulky on purpose and also the bolts should support this "low-tech" style, think of a WH40K Las-Pistol e.g.

@skyline5gtr:
    Yeah, thought the same during the blockout, but I hope by adding some bulkier features (like the bolts, the lower attachment etc) I going a little bit away from the ME style.
    Also the texture is planned to be more "industrial/heavy" then ME.
  • Dethling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Completed the modelling part so far and heading to the texturing.
    As mentioned I will use dDO for it.
    First texture sketch to get a fealing of colors, decals etc:
    screen01_by_dethling-d80y8ko.png