Home General Discussion

Ori and the Blind Forest

Replies

• Jakob Gavelli
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakob Gavelli interpolator
    It's so full of emotion. I can barely play it, because of how inspiring it is.
  • STRIKER
    Offline / Send Message
    STRIKER polycounter lvl 13
    I been waiting to play this for a while now!

Yo Neox, since it released can we asked about anything that has to do with development?
  • Malus
    Offline / Send Message
    Malus polycounter lvl 17
    The art is so gorgeous, with equally awesome game-play.
    Instant classic for me. Loving it. :)
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    STRIKER wrote: »
    I been waiting to play this for a while now!

Yo Neox, since it released can we asked about anything that has to do with development?

just shoot :)
    i'll tell you if i can't talk about anything

i am preparing an art dump, but it's a lot easier with characters than with "look here, 10 painted stones"

thank you everyone!
  • Tekoppar
    Offline / Send Message
    Tekoppar polycounter lvl 10
    Tell me about all the sequence breaks you can do.
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    Tekoppar wrote: »
    Tell me about all the sequence breaks you can do.

i am not sure i understand the question :s
  • Tekoppar
    Offline / Send Message
    Basically if there is anyway you can skip ahead of the game and get an ability you're not supposed to have earlier then intended?

Edit: Gotta ask, cause it's driving me crazy. Are the damage you take from spikes random?
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    Usually skipping ahead should not be possible, or if, it leads to a dead end you can't pass without the needed ability, you should always be able to go back to get this ability.

I'll point thomas here, gamedesign releated questions are definitely a field he can answer better. No idea if all spikes have the same damage, i'm usually not dying that much from spikes. Rushing into lasers is my thing :D
  • Tekoppar
    Offline / Send Message
    So I did some tests and it seems the damage you take is tied to the velocity you travel at, and it ramps up quite quickly to the point that you can quickly die if you don't pay attention.
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    Tekoppar wrote: »
    So I did some tests and it seems the damage you take is tied to the velocity you travel at, and it ramps up quite quickly to the point that you can quickly die if you don't pay attention.

i think the spikes will do more damage the further you progress in game, so the spikes in the beginning areas are not as deadly as the later ones, but i can't say. Might be totally wrong, i pointed Thomas here but he is hard to grasp these days. Give him some time :)
  • Tekoppar
    Offline / Send Message
    Nevermind, did a another test and those spikes where the spider nest is instantly kills me if I just jump in normally anyway.

Also someone has completed the game in 1 hour and 11 minutes already. I've got no idea how they did it that fast.
  • SuperFranky
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    I love everything about the game except the lack of quick travel. Makes collecting the last few orbs on the map a bit of a chore. Other than that, it's the finest Metroidvania I've played since Guacamelee.
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    http://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/2yt19k/tune_in_at_10am_pst5pm_gmt_this_friday_the_13th/

This Friday the 13th!!!! 10am PST we will be doing an OFFICIAL Reddit AMA!!! Come join us as we meet and greet with all of our fans

Thanks a lot SuperFranky
  • SuperFranky
    Offline / Send Message
    KZCRM36.png

So overall I would rate the game 9/10, minus 1 point for a few very unfair moments in the last stage of the game. Congrats Moon Studios on making this awesome game and I hope we'll see a sequel one day. Spoiler alert:
    Next time don't kill owl babies, please :(
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    can you please make sure your spoilers are not visible?
    this is a spoiler
  • SuperFranky
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox wrote: »
    this is a spoiler

Oops, I'm so sorry. Fixed.
  • haiddasalami
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Awesome stuff. Hoping to pick this up on the weekend. Any chance to see some breakdown shots of the levels?
  • STRIKER
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool, So what were you guys mostly involved in? was it just art creation? or did you guys also handle world building and working with unity.
  • Makkon
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    This game is amazingly beautiful! But also really freaking hard!
    Next playthrough I'll be taking screenshots of everything, because this is the highest consistent density of polish I've seen in a game in many years.
  • DrunkShaman
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Neox wrote: »
    this is a spoiler

It kind of gives away the part where things might end up in the end. I think the story writers made sure that even if there are any sort of spoilers it shouldnt stop one to experience the game to its fullest. So far I am having fun and no complaints.
    *disregard*
  • kamih
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    This game is amazing!
    The perfect balance of fun/challenge/exploration, and one of the most beautiful games I've seen in a long time!
    Congratulations to everyone involved, you did an amazing job! :)
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    Cool, So what were you guys mostly involved in? was it just art creation? or did you guys also handle world building and working with unity.

we created the concepts and final 2d assets, 3d characters and 2d characters, a good part of the animations, effects/particles, Ui/Logodesign, and the set dressing, together with scene setups.
    For instance if you like how everything reacts to Ori running through, thank Simon (acapulco) for this. It is his baby and lifts the visuals on a whole new level.
  • Tekoppar
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm curious how you did the ghost trails for the characters in the game. I limited the game to 1FPS (which caused a slowdown) and it looked like you simply made a copy of that frame for Ori while the other monsters just had a kind of generic ghost trail. Just curious cause I would assume that making such a ghost trail for Ori would be expensive. Not sure if it's called ghost trail though.

ghosttrial.png
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    i give you a hint

thes are 2d prerendered sprites ;)

once we do the art dump i will show some of those things in detail
  • Tekoppar
    Offline / Send Message
    I can't believe I didn't think about that, makes so much sense. And I'm super excited for the art dump.
  • Bal
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    This game is brilliant, anyone who worked on it should be immensely proud.
    Honestly I was just expecting the art to be great (it's even better than I imagined), being fairly difficult to please when it comes to metroidvanias I was afraid I'd be disappointed by the gameplay, but everything is just great so far.
  • Avanthera
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    Yeah, agreed with Bal, the art is simply fantastic everywhere you look, really well done. The level design and gameplay mechanics are also on point, everything is so tight and well made!

Huge congratulations to your whole team guys!
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Just got the game, basically insta bought it after a friend showed the intro. damn its hard though xD all them pixel precision jumps! >,<
  • slipsius
    just spent the last 2 hours being completely drawn in to that world. Holy crap. Easily one of my favourite games in the past several years, if not overall. And again, that's with only 2 hours played.

Well done, devs. Well done.
  • Goldo_O
    Offline / Send Message
    Goldo_O greentooth
    I finished it tonight and that was an awesome experience! Congrats to everyone who worked on it, and of course Airborne Studio! You guys created such an amazing world and characters :)
    I don't know why but someone was cutting onions everytime there was a cinematic <3

I'm happy that I managed to reach the end, I felt down in the Valley of the wind when I was not supposed to and had to level up for a long while to get the triple jump and climb back up.

Fantastic game, congrats!!! :)
  • rollin
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    /me want art dump! :poly142:
  • coljwood
    Offline / Send Message
    coljwood vertex
    I only had time to play the very opening yesterday but it was one of the of the most beautiful openings to a game I have ever witnessed.
  • STRIKER
    Offline / Send Message
    Im really curious How you guys did the water? Also how you handled Depth of field?
  • Zocky
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Yeah, i'd love to know about water myself aswell?
  • slipsius
    so im about 4 hours in now. I can see this being an all time fav. It is so engaging. Each new ability you get opens up this whole knew play style, and makes you run through all the areas you`ve been to, thinking hmmm, what did i miss. Can i use this new style of jump to get somewhere new? did i miss a secret? What happens if i try this?

So. Good.
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    Im really curious How you guys did the water? Also how you handled Depth of field?

both are much more technical than art asset solution, the water was done by arthur, i THINK artwise the only design element is the waterline in the front between top and front plane

dof, i will have to ask. but if i am not completely wrong, they are preblurred and atlassed based on settings in the level, i don't think it is dynamic at all - but i might be wrong

the 3d characterwork is done since a long while, and even with me working on the levels earlier. a lot was changed since i last worked in the editor. so i only have a brief knowledge of all the possibilities by now.
    But we work on showing something to make it better understandable :)
  • Odow
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    This game is even more beautiful than expected.
    I had tears in my eyes during E3 trailer, now i'm crying like a huge crybaby. This is so sad, Why did naru die ;_; and why did you have to make it so sad, it was almost as sad as mufasa death.
  • Partiest
    First, congrats on release! I've already played through the game twice and it hits so many amazing emotional beats throughout. Really, really well done :) Also, thank you for answering everyone's questions!

I'm also really interested in how your team handled the different visual effects in the game like Depth of Field, glows, blurs, distortions and whatnot. We're attempting to tackle similar issues on a project of our own and they've been a big unknown for us because of how new we are to the process.

I know that's a huge multi-faceted question and probably more technical than artistic, but I'd love some insight! Will anyone that handled the technical side of things be swinging by here at any point to field those kinds of questions?

As an animator I'm also super curious what sort of setup was built to make all of the different environment assets react to Ori as he passes through them. Were those hand-keyed or automated/dynamic joint chains? All of that extra motion goes so far to make the world feel alive!

Lastly -- for the art stuff, how much of Ori used repeated assets VS unique? Everything seemed extremely unique from region to region and I'm curious how that affected things like memory loading and the like.
  • Partiest
    Edit: Whoops, double post. Sorry!
  • odium
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Played it, beat it, loved it.

Cried. Seriously.

Simply stunning. Beautiful. Amazing. Quite frankly one of my GOTY's.

Now just give me a sequel :D
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    odium wrote: »
    Played it, beat it, loved it.

Cried. Seriously.

walking-dead-daryl-crying.gif
  • Fomori
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    Still need to pick it up. But just need to echo that you guys did such an amazing job on the art. It's games that look like this that really push games to be viewed as works of art in mainstream public opinion.
  • breakneck
    Offline / Send Message
    breakneck polycounter lvl 13
    picked it up for the art. Playing through again because the gameplay is really fun!
    good job all around!
  • STRIKER
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for answering neox! so when and where are you planning the art dump? i might have more questions if you dont mind :P
  • joebount
    Offline / Send Message
    joebount polycounter lvl 12
    Fantastic work guys, amazing game.
    Kudos to everybody involved!
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    thank you very much everyone!

@striker, feel free to shoot. the Artdump is now up!

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=150335
  • oglu
  • Tekoppar
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not sure if you can answer this Neox, but I love the "boss fights" in the game since they're pure platforming sequences and not ones where you hit spot X 3 times and you win. Were you guys ever afraid that the sequences would be to hard? That they would be to long or short? That the player would get tired of them? A bit off-topic, but how is Pi
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    I will ask thomas to answer the question in detail

To me, i would say, i really like and enjoy them. I can understand why some people could get frustrated, but well, you can't target everyone. If you target the casual guys, you will lose your initial target group, the players who enjoy Metroidvania games. It was a tight balance, and to me, i would not have minded to keep the game as hardcore as it was originally designed. It started much tougher and was overall way more challenging.
    But i enjoyed Super Meat Boy especially the hardcore rooms, A LOT. So to get a wider audiance and make the pick up of the game easier it got balanced and streamlined.

For example,
    the room before you get to the spirit tree, those fire shooting plants on the Donkey Kong homage part and the ones right before the door to the Spirit Tree have been easily 2-3 times as fast. I loved it, was challenging but rewarding. But it showed new players in the tests struggled a lot.

Another example, a lot of the platforms in the game have been much much smaller in the beginning,
    the ones the lever triggers right next to you getting the charge flame, have been so much more challenging to master, for being smaller and half as wide
    this goes on through almost the entire game.

And people who played through it will recognize, that the second runthrough is much much easier. personally i hope for the newgame+ to be more challenging, closer to the original design. But it's totally not up to me to decide this. And many people might disagree here.

Airborn, hummm airborn. Lets say we have a codebase with most needed abilities and animations are in the work. Right now there is absolutely no work on the art being done. We will experiment and test and if it is fun once the animations are there, we will go further, try to get partners. But as usual, it is not ready. But i would love to work on it. Without a budget this is a bit tough tho ;)
  • Sugus
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    Bought this yesterday, can't wait to play it and chip in with what I think of it! :)