Home Technical Talk

I need a refresher! 8th Gen Environment Art Pipelines/Workflows/Techniques

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
mutatedjellyfish polycounter lvl 10
I'm an environment artist, and I started my professional career during last gen where the asset creation pipeline was pretty straight forward and revolved around the following:

- Props with unique diffuse/spec/normal textures, all within 0-1 UV space.
- Tileable textures with or without vertex color blends (and blend maps) for variation.
- Decals for details

I've worked on Disney Infinity which due to style and engine constraints had a very limited texture workflow that relied heavily on the above techniques. Currently, I'm working on a browser-based title that again relies heavily on last-gen techniques, so I'm very afraid of falling behind this gen. I would like to create some current-gen stuff to add to my portfolio.

As I look more and more into current-gen engines (Unreal 4, et al) I'm seeing a shift into new technologies, workflows and methods of texturing and building worlds, so I'm wondering if anyone has a view or opinion on this and could direct me to explanations or training materials that I could dig into? I do not want to be left behind but I don't have the team or the time at work to really explore the new stuff, so I have to do it on my own. I have done some initial searching, but I guess it's all so new, so there isn't much that explains things really well.

Some things I have run across:

-PBR rendering (among the new tech, I have the best understanding of this one)
-Multi-tile UVs (stuff like what is featured here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flsJcwYN3H4 )
-Modular texturing with multiple, tiling texture files

Also, any information about more advanced Unreal 4 material workflows would help. I open scenes like the Reflections Subway scene in Unreal 4 and I have no idea what's going on in their material set ups despite having worked a good amount in UDK, haha. Thank you for your help, and if I run across anything, I'll post here.

Replies