Just finished my viking character.
KOs2ben.png
His name is Vali.

Critique would be much appreciated! :D

Replies

• jhoythottle
    Offline / Send Message
    jhoythottle polycounter lvl 7
    Good anatomy on the body. Cool textures and outfit. The lighting seems a little flat and I can't tell what's going on with your hair. The opacity of it seems a little off and it's super shiny. Also, the arm band piece is very flat looking. Looks like it's drawn on with a sharpie. Also, the eyes seem a little small and far apart. These are just a few things that can easily be fixed on a pretty good start of a character. Is this a realtime render? I'd like to see some maps and polyflow. Nice work overall.
  • FlorenceThibault
    Nice work! I also think that the lighting could be improved a lot. You have a nice looking character, but the lighting does not showcase it well.
    Also, if you want to push it further, you could work on a facial expression. Keep it up! :)
  • DiegoTeran
    Offline / Send Message
    DiegoTeran polycounter lvl 11
    Agreed on the lighting as well as the textures seem super clean, around that time dry cleaning was not invented lol dirty him up a bit.

ps: why does he have snow on his mustache?
  • Itholon
    Offline / Send Message
    Itholon polycounter lvl 7
    Looks pretty cool. Some war paint or blood splatters on him would make him instantly cooler imo.
  • deohboeh
    Offline / Send Message
    deohboeh polycounter lvl 5
    The lighting seems a little flat. the arm band piece is very flat looking. Is this a realtime render? I'd like to see some maps and polyflow.

I will post an image with better lighting tomorrow. The arm band was supposed to be black metal, but it seems it doesnt show well. Also wireframe and maps will come tomorrow too.
    Itholon wrote: »
    Some war paint or blood splatters on him would make him instantly cooler imo.

I wish I had thought of war paint earlier. :\ Will remember it next time then..
    Turista wrote: »
    Agreed on the lighting as well as the textures seem super clean, around that time dry cleaning was not invented lol dirty him up a bit.

ps: why does he have snow on his mustache?

A viking's gotta be clean for the ladies! :P
    The snow is actually light.
    Also, if you want to push it further, you could work on a facial expression.

I tried to give him a menacing look, but I guess all could do was give him a come hider look.. :S I will try to fix that in the next update...

Thank you all for your comments and critiques! Its been very educational! :D
  • DiegoTeran
    Offline / Send Message
    DiegoTeran polycounter lvl 11
    deohboeh wrote: »
    A viking's gotta be clean for the ladies! :P

D

actually i think back then the dirtier or bloodier they were the more ladies they got.
  • Sanislov
    Offline / Send Message
    Sanislov polycounter lvl 9
    I miss the ambient occlusion.
    I think the belt color need to be different to define more, couse now it has the same diffuse as the skirt.
    Everything looks new and clean. The body of a warrior can hold some scar.
    Its looks more like a model guy from an advertisement, not a real life warrior.
    The black thing on the arm is a tattoo?

The mesh, and design looks really cool to me. :) It can be sad, if you think it's finished.

Keep it up!:)
  • deohboeh
    Offline / Send Message
    deohboeh polycounter lvl 5
    UPDATE:
    Textures and lighting improved.
    hidzkIH.png

Wireframe:
    z8Qe4zS.jpg
    ~57K tris including the axe.
    Turista wrote: »
    actually i think back then the dirtier or bloodier they were the more ladies they got.

Vikings were actually very careful of their looks. They had a sense of fashion and grooming.
    The Norse poetic literature emphasizes the need for cleanliness and regular grooming.

Reference: http://www.hurstwic.org/history/articles/daily_living/text/health_and_medicine.htm
  • EdGaray
    This viking looks awesome. In my opinion, a more messy look sell the character better. Try adding some hair to the pectorals and abs, make the eyebrows thicker and add long curly locks around the neck area. Don't turn him into a caveman but he's stealing my spot on the cover of men's health magazine and it's upsetting lol. Also there's like three lines crossing his torso that looks odd and unnatural. And finally, you need more work on the lighting. Is kind of flat. Check this reference to see if it helps. Overall, great great job :)

VikingsS2-1-618x400.jpg