Nissan GTR - PBR Car

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Javibcln polycounter lvl 8
Hey guys! I just finished this:

Front_N3.gif

Back_N1.gif

Nissan_GTR_HP.gif

I really hope you all like it, and have fun!

Replies

• KazeoHin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KazeoHin polycounter lvl 8
    I like that you decided to go a bit busted with the look of the paint and condition, but car-paint is REALLY difficult to do in PBR because it's a layered material, it's got a thin, translucent plasticine coating over a grainy mix of metals, dielectrics, powders with a range of subsurface types.

I don't think the composition of your shot really shows off the model. It's just dark with a couple of lights. Put that model in the middle of a las-Vegas style strip, or in a cloudy Tokyo alley. I can't really critique the model as it is composed now.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think people should stop saying PBR in the topic because it isn't relevant at all. The texture will either be good or bad. It has nothing to do with PBR. On that note. The model itself looks fine. I'm not really a car buff so It looks fine to me.
    On the texturing department it's all over the place. The scracthes are too much and make no sense at all. Looking at that I can't see if the car was scartched or was in some fender bender. Nop. Not good.
    In this case reference is your friend and also Less is more. I mean, why does the car have scratches on the roof? Or the hood?

also http://www.ozfbody.com/catalog3.html
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    Sometimes the textures can make or break a good model. In this case, the texture isn't helping much. Also the lighting needs to show the car off better. Good luck
  • Javibcln
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I guess roof scratches can be possible when a driver goes GTA style and starts to roll over trash cans or mail boxes, etc. I really appreciate your critique, I dont really understand what KazeoHin is sayin, were you meaning a different hdr or something like that?
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Your main issue is noise. You have one size of your scratches and they are everywhere. Decide a few areas where you wanna put scratches and dents, like right fron corner of the hood, right door and left backdoor. Or what ever. Yes, less is more, way more.

Try to make sense of your scratches and think about how they happened. Maybe scratch group one was in a concrete barrier - broader impact and more of a big dent. Scratch group two was with a light collision with a say red car - streaked lighter scratches with less of a dent and rent paint that got stuck in your cars paint. And so on...

I keep on saying dents because I think you're missing actual dents in your texture. Mash in your model a bit and put on a dented normal map on top. (I've had great results with taking a picture of an actual paper to get a "wrinkle normal" before. Wrote this to someone on facebook awhile ago - " I've photographed a wrinkled paper in a dark room with one light source. I toke two photos, one for top light and one from side light. Then you just rotate one of the pictures and put them in red and green channel in PS. Now you got a decent normal map that you can convert to a height map to polish.. Old school style ")

Here's one of them, tiled in this case. Feel free to use it for what ever.. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1415501/PolycountPictures/compilled_height_tiled.psd
  • GrungyStudios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GrungyStudios polycounter lvl 8
    This looks good man. Textures actually look great, i like the scratches but indeed there is too much at some places. @sltrOlsson is right, you need to designate some areas for scratches. Also, have you thought about placing maybe a small minor dent somewhere.. because how would all those scratches get to those places without there being even a little dent right. Anyways this is great work, some minor tweaks and this will be looking even better
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    I think people should stop saying PBR in the topic
    This should be a sticky :)
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    <---- Poor GTR my favorite series of car
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    I think people should stop saying PBR in the topic because it isn't relevant at all. The texture will either be good or bad. It has nothing to do with PBR. On that note. The model itself looks fine. I'm not really a car buff so It looks fine to me.
    On the texturing department it's all over the place. The scracthes are too much and make no sense at all. Looking at that I can't see if the car was scartched or was in some fender bender. Nop. Not good.
    In this case reference is your friend and also Less is more. I mean, why does the car have scratches on the roof? Or the hood?

also http://www.ozfbody.com/catalog3.html

Yea the buzzword is strong

PBR = Current way of texturing (+ rendering that does a tool for you)

Youre literally saying "Asset [Textured]" which is silly

@Car, Its really over the top with the scratches. If it would be a derby car, it would look vastly different on the paintjob. What I think is more problematic is the low polycount and the rims, which look strange.
    Also you embossed the graffiti in the normal
    The Proportions of the car look good however
  • avenali312
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    avenali312 polycounter lvl 8
    I'd agree with the comments above. The damage is a little overkill for me. sltrOlsson's comment about the scratches being similar size and all over is something I'd agree with. It's more about careful and logical placement.

Also, the carbon fiber bumper piece in front is way too pristine considering the damage on the rest of the car.
  • KMiklas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KMiklas polycounter lvl 9
    Looks very good... for a toy car*. Even scratches make sense then! :)

* I'm calling it a toy, because of details, like scratches, gaps and so on, that are out of scale.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    Besides the textures I'd work on your camera angles, a high FOV and up top shots makes it look amateurish. Try using a 3 point lighting set up and get some nice highlights that emphasized the shapes and curves of the model. millergo-camaro-zl1-keyshot-02.jpg
  • Javibcln
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Allright guys, I remade the texturing and this is the result:

Front_N3.gif

Back_N1.gif

Thanks a lot for your feedback guys! You really opened my eyes on this.
  • KazeoHin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KazeoHin polycounter lvl 8
    making SUPER progress. looking great.
  • Javibcln
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @KazeoHin, thank you very much!

Hey guys! Just finished rendering the high poly, and wanted to get more crits on this, also updated the images on the main post.

Nissan_GTR_HP.gif

Thanks for your feedback!
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    I would still get camera shot from the ground level. Crane shots like these are good sometimes but dont show how a person the the ground can look at a car. In car shows, car are usually on a pedestal, and not seen from the top down. Food for thought. Good luck.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator