Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] [UE4] Quaratine Zone

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
tehrobster2 polycounter lvl 11
Hey guys I am working on a old noob challenge that I am finally getting around to working on again. It is a scene that is based on the last of us. I would love to hear what you guys think, so that I can push this to the best that it can be!

Concept art: Drb200u.jpg

Image 1: bTZCQJR.jpg

Image 2 :gKvr4lO.jpg

Image 3 :QQg705p.jpg

Image 4 :asDjKw7.jpg

Replies

• ClusterOne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ClusterOne polycounter lvl 4
    Try to match you lighting with the concept--right now its way too dark and dingy. Also your textures are really busy, you might want to consider vertex painting on grunge and damage instead of adding it to the texture itself. Right now the biggest problem is the lighting--fix it and your scene will look so much better.
  • tehrobster2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks for your comment! I will work on the lighting tonight, and a lot of the dirt abd grime are decals, but I will look into vertex painting. I am also working on adding Puddles to my scene right now, more updates soon!
  • tehrobster2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys here is another update! I have brightened up the lighting. And I have also added more buildings to the scene. And I am currently working on the Water mat for the puddles.
    NEHvJpV.jpg
    nIRzQXI.jpg
    T0xvnoo.jpg
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    Everything seems incredibly saturated and not a fan of the JJ Abrams lens flare in the 2nd image
  • tehrobster2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay i will work on that thanks! Alright guys i will keep working on it , keep the critique coming guys!
  • tehrobster2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys is there anything else that I can work on with my scene? Lightning, composition, models, textures or anything ? Please let me know I would like to make this a portfolio piece, any critique would be greatly appreciated.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    You should try to better match the concept. Your scene is muddy, noisy, and dark, compared to the concept that is cooler in colors, the shadows aren't harsh, and the detail is pretty clean and sharp
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its already been said, but your scene is really, really noisy. You've over grimed everything.

Your lighting looks nuclear. Judging from how harshly the building on the upper left is lit and how your getting that default ue4 glare so hard....maybe you just have a light thats way too intense?

As for composition? Post the specific shots that you are curious about. You have a few different angles, and I don't think much of it is compositionally sound. I would suggest reading up on some basics of composition and try to get a nice "money shot" for better critique.
  • tehrobster2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys thanks for all your comments, they have helped so much. I have worked on the lighting some more, and I have worked on the noisiness of the textures. And I have worked on the composition some more, And Gsokol, I Was going for an angle similar to the concept art. Well guys I am going to continue to work on it. And shall post another update soon! ss2q56n.jpgYuQs2Ny.jpg
  • tehrobster2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys here is another update, I work on the lighting some more, and I bumped up the light map resolution on some of the Meshes. I am currently still trying to decide what I am going to do about the puddles. Should I use planes or should I use like a height map or vertex painting for the puddles what do you guys think? Well anyways, any critiques would be great!
    tLjvMdU.jpg
    iDNjizP.jpg
  • tehrobster2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And I was also wondering on the front fence I'm currently just doing an alpha for it. Do you guys think I would get a better effect with the lighting if i actually had the bars modeled in ?
  • jaker3278
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jaker3278 polycounter lvl 8
    What texture maps are you using on this scene? for example are you using normal maps?
  • Valkarai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think it would look much better to actually model the bars on the fence, I keep looking at it and I want to be able to see through the fence; also it looks like that there should be a bar above the fence but still attached to it. (what it looks like in the concept)

This is progressing well, keep it up! :)
  • tehrobster2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yed I am currently using albedo ,metalness, gloss, normalmap, and ambiant occlusion maps for all my meshes except the spray paint that I am using for the decals that I Have on the wall.
  • tehrobster2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys a small update, I re modeled the main quaratine gate,to be more like the one in the game, and I also used actual geometry on the fence and you can see better through it now, But I am kinda stuck guys, I really want to improve the quality of the lighting in the scene. This is my first outdoor scene and I was wondering if you guys could give me some tips on how I could improve it some more and make it better in general. Currently I have a directional light for sunlight and a sky light to help control the shadows. And sphere reflection captures for the metal and the soon to be water, or if anybody knows any tutorials I could watch to help me out would be greatly appreciated! wUGrW3s.jpg
    7idDFlW.jpg
  • Robbie222
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Robbie222 polycounter lvl 3
    I would still reduce some saturation on that right wall .

You can also try to add some point lights and play around with colors/settings to get the mood closer to the reference.

The fence is fine imo, that's not the problem right now.

Also add some fog , and reduce/ change the color of the main light.
  • JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshWilkinson polycounter lvl 9
    In the concept, there isn't a lot of drity/ grime on anything really. The visual noise is made up by trash concentrated in a central focal point and blood spatters on the concrete barrier nearest the camera. This gives the viewer some resting points. I really like the toned down version of the concept and would like to see you put less busy details on your textures. Why is there so much dark grime in the center of your concrete barriers? What would cause that?

Another thing I think you need is to really work on your lighting. I'd take the concept, desaturate it completely, go into UE4 and try lighting it with your textures turned off; only concentrate on the blockout. I'd do it in a way that the lights aren't too intense or colored, focusing on the mood without the visual interruptions that your textures have. You can also use intensity and light placement/ shadows to define focal points for the eye.

I think that once you're happy with your lit mood, you'll reenable textures and see that the mood you created earlier is completely destroyed by your textures. That's a good indication that the textures have too much noise and are pulling your eyes away from your lit focal points.
  • tehrobster2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys thank for your comments and critiques, They have helped greatly! Here is another update, and I got the water shader working, but I am still trying to figure out how to use it with vertex Paint, does anyone have any thinks to vertex paint two different mats ?
    N36X6zB.jpg
    uxEJNA9.jpg
  • tehrobster2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys I have another update to the scene, I have finally gotten a better water shader for the ground, and I touched the lighting a bit more, anyways guys I would love to hear what you guys think I could do to push it farther or improve it more =)
    WfxgeAO.jpg
    9rHGUFC.jpg
  • Cheathem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheathem polycounter lvl 6
    Big improvement over the first images. Needs to look more lived in though. Scatter some trash on the ground, Push the grunge a little more in some areas, and add a little something behind that fence to show that there is depth to the scene. Looking good though so far, keep pushing it further! :D
  • tehrobster2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Thanks for the Comment! I have added a little bit more trash and grime to the scene,Keep them coming guys!
    VsYoUOF.jpg
    XUPBQxp.jpg
  • tehrobster2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys I have added some more trash, and I have added a camera to take renders now instead of using the player. I would love to hear what you guys think! NUiCFSx.jpg
  • Youngy798
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Youngy798 polycounter lvl 4
    The little see through sheet looks too wavy. When you look at the concept you can see fairly clearly through it, it seems to be smoother.

81xHCcK.png
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Agree with the above poster...some work could be done on the sheets there.

Honestly, this is quite an improvement from where you started!

One of the main things that stands out to me now is how flat your materials read. To a point...its expected, given the lighting you have, as well as the concept itself. Getting your puddles right and getting them in your shot will be helpful. Right now they don't read quite right...they don't look quite reflective enough...and the borders of the puddles and the ground is rough. Consider doing a secondary layer of wet concrete thats around the edges of the puddle that has a softer transition to the dry concrete.

Also...your jersey barriers are hurting you a little bit. That black shadowing you are getting along the edges is a bit of an eyesore. Not sure if your normal map is flipped or if its the result of a not ideal bake or what...but I'd consider reworking those. They are currently the most prominent prop in this level...so make sure to really do them up right. Some better edge detail/edge wear will help. Also..don't be afraid to add more geo to them...bevel them up...cut in some of the worn details...will really help a lot.
  • Narlyteeth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Narlyteeth polycounter lvl 5
    This Piece has come a long way since the first wip.

I'd recommend putting the perfect ruler for environment art, a human figure, in the scene. It'll help you with the scaling of everything.

the shadow shapes are very close to the concept art, so that's good. but i'd turn down the ambient lighting just by a small notch.

I'd maybe turn off or down the DoF since there isn't any in the concept art that much. I think the farthest building in the right hand corner in the concept is blurred just very slightly.

another tip for the smoke in the background is to also layer alpha cards of smoke trails to add more atmospheric depth than just a skydome.

Keep up the good progress!
  • tehrobster2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys thanks so much for the great critiques! I have worked on the shader for the plastic for the door way and I have made new barriers, and they do not have black edges anymore. I am still looking into the alpha smoke that you were talking about narlyteeth, But thanks again guys this has been a real help! And here is an update image! ZaTPS3w.jpg
  • Kave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kave triangle
    The plastic sheets are really killing it atm, fix that and it will instantly be a lot better, I don't know much on how to actually do that...but that's my advice.
  • Cay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cay polycounter lvl 5
    Hey I think overall it feels like it has a grey overlay/fog to it... what I mean by that is that it misses some of the colors and the contrast that the concept has.. now first it was too much.. but now I feel like you went overboard with reducing contrast.

So here's the comparison what it currently looks like compared to the actual concept..
    EasMH2f.jpg

and here's what it could be like with some simple adjustments (levels, tint shadows).. now that's not perfect.. maybe it will point you into the right direction.
    bHd7iE9.jpg
  • tehrobster2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys thanks for the comments, I decided to try a different approach with the shader for the clear plastic part, and the results are much better than what I had before. Anywhere here is the update image 9WbFziF.jpg
  • Youngy798
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the image looks like it has been brightened too much. It just seems too grey. I think it looked a lot nicer when you could clearly see the colours, it looks foggy now.

The plastic does look quite a bit nicer :D
  • Xsim1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xsim1 polycounter lvl 4
    The plastic door look a lot better. The plastic could be a little less transparent though. Maybe even a little blue-ish?
    The frame of the door a little more orange.
    Like Youngy said, it's washed out, really foggy. You need to have a little more contrast. Other than that, this is a lot of progress since the first post! Good luck.
  • Limewax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Limewax polycounter lvl 6
    I agree that the plastic material does look much better, but as noted by someone else, the muddiness that you have going on right now is totally killing it for me. Right now I'm not sure if this has something to do with some sort of rendered fog volume, or if this is the result of odd post processing. If you're using post processing at this point, STOP or remove it immediately. Try to get your scene as close to the concept as possible before jumping in to tweaking the post processing. Also your scene's main directional light might need to be bumped up a bit to really emphasize those shadows and highlights. Right now its all lit pretty flat, almost like were viewing it in unlit mode.
  • tehrobster2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys thanks for the comments! I turned down the fog some and turned up the directional lighting as well. Anyways guys here is a new image please let me know what you guys think! WSYpUlh.jpg
  • Carabiner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Carabiner greentooth
    The lighting looks much better! But IMO the plastic material is still way too "crinkly" and should flow more like fabric.
  • Youngy798
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow! the light looks a lot nicer now. In my opinion it would be nice if there were some kind of items in the bottom right corner of the fence, it looks a little empty at the moment. Maybe some black rubbish bags or something?

Maybe others disagree though
  • tehrobster2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys I have touched up the environment some more, I have moved some more of the meshes around to match the concept better, and I have toned down the normal map. So that it is not so crinkly. Please keep the feed back coming! I want this to be the best it can be =)Kyh2kpr.jpg
  • Youngy798
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the plastic is looking great now
  • Cay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cay polycounter lvl 5
    I think part of the problem is that it's translucent and you don't really get good lighting on translucent stuff in ue4.. even if you switch the tlm_ to surface.. so idk..

you could try making it opaque instead and get some dirt and stuff on it so it doesn't look super clean.. right now I feel it's destroying the environment because it just doesn't work
  • pixelpatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    The main problem I'm seeing with your scene is that the scale is all over the place, your lack of proper scale in relationship with one another is destroying this composition. Get a human in there and start really looking at the scale of your objects, railing heights, frame heights and garbage debris scale. This would also effect the height of a person tagging the walls with spray paint. Those subtle things go a long way. Look at the details. Pay close attention to the composition and your layout. Your skydome also seems too bright and looks completely flat, your FOV for your shot out of the engine isn't even close to the concept.
  • loggie24
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    loggie24 polycounter lvl 3
  • tehrobster2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys thanks again for all your comments, and your help. I have went back in and added some human figures. They not mine they are Almighty Girs, he has a space marine that you can get off a thread. I have worked on some more of the sizing of the objects and I have added some more spray paint, and I have tried to work on the sky dome some more. I have tried to get the blood to show on the left but it disappears under the shadows, I have tried the dbuffer and it didnt work. Anyways guys thanks for your help again!
    UGCl2o5.jpg figures
    22avS70.jpg no figures
  • Cay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cay polycounter lvl 5
    If you want to use decals in combination with baked lighting you will need to add a few lines to the Engine config. If this sounds like a nightmare then read no further.. but this one has worked for me in the past.

You search your UE4 directory Unreal Engine\4.x\Engine\Config
    There's a BaseEngine.ini that you open up.
    You scroll down to the section called [SystemSettings] and add these 3 lines at the end of it:
    r.EarlyZPassMovable=1
    r.EarlyZPass=2
    r.DBuffer=1

now restart the engine,
    if it still doesn't work check the project settings under Engine/Rendering there's a setting for early z-pass, that you change to "Opaque and Maskes Meshes"
  • tehrobster2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I can took Narlyteeth advice and I added some some alpha smoke trails to the sky, and then I have also have reworked the texture for the wall mostly for the barbwire on the top. Any ways I would love to hear what you guys think!
    AHxeJAU.jpg
  • tehrobster2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I took Cays advice and I tried adding a non transparent material for the plastic area, and I also re did the wall on the right and cut in some more geometry into the mesh. Anyway guys please let me know what more I could do to push this farther thanks!
    BUesQ48.jpg
  • tehrobster2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks! I will get to work on fixing that! Is there anything else you guys think I should work on?
  • tehrobster2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys I kind of have run into a road block on what else I can do for the scene. You guys have helped me out so much already if there is anything else you guys can think I can do please let me know. If its something with my materials I could improve or something with the models in the scene or even something more that I could add, it would be a great help!
  • pixelpatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    Okay robster, you wanted feedback, here goes:

plastic sheet looked better transparent, go back to that version, tweak it to brownish tint instead of blue, figure out a way to have more dirt/blood that is somewhat more opaque collect at the bottom, blood stains dripping from the top of the sheet...Look at the ref, it's there.

Background clouds don't look natural, as well as seeing repeats on the cloud texture itself, rethink this. When I commented on the skydome before I didn't mean effects, I meant making the skydome texture have a bit more detail, contrast......I want to see the clouds. I understand it's not a sunny day with clouds in the sky, but again look at the concept.

Blood splatters/blood scrape not as detailed as concept on the jersey barriers

trash doesn't have that grungy feel, too saturated, too many soda cans. Try broken bottles, discarded bandages, paper rolls for toilet paper, discarded cigarette butts/packaging. parts of wood, parts of cardboard box, syringe, grenade pin....etc, this trash can tell a story, right now it's just a few bits of mesh littered around the scene.

your barbed wire is completely uniform and also rendering almost black.

The orange paint on the support pillars and the top of the concrete barriers is not the same color/hue. it's tying the elements together in the concept, but the same thing is not happening in your scene.

"no hope here" is barely legible and I wouldn't know what this says if I hadn't played The Last of Us. Also looks very much like it was written out with the standard airbrush pen in photoshop, find a better brush to use and make this work cause it's the focus of your scene since you don't have characters.

The area under the catwalk/bridge is too light, in the concept it's darker and the bars under are a lot darker.....giving of a foreboding prison look that your scene lacks.

The background skyscrapers lack big shapes, meaning the texture repeats too much and I don't see any silhouettes within the texture to make out the building architecture. For example: the middle building in the concept has clear separation between the concrete and the windows.

Your foreground most side building on the left is of poor quality. (redo) Add those balconys make the shadows and the lighting work for you. If this is a folio piece, damn spend those polys.

The catwalk railing is too thick in radius and gives off a cartoony feel compared to the concept. Think real world proportions.

cause it looks weird.

Okay....get crackin.
  • tehrobster2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whoaaa so much information thank you so much my friend I will get to work right away!
  • tehrobster2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys I know it has been a while since I have made an update, I have been super busy with work and stuff. But I fixed almost all the fixes that pixel patron have suggested, I am still trying to fix the clouds, but I would love to hear what you guys think so far! rV1FUL8.jpg
  • Felixenfeu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Felixenfeu polycounter lvl 10
    I really like the overall scene. The text (graffiti) though... not that much. It really looks photoshoped. You have to find a way to make it more painted.
    You need a bit of paint dripping, make it less perfect.

The brush and your hand writting doesnt sell it either.

Dubious-Allies_img.jpg
    578e57a04d69b929a65b7769edc42a20.jpg