Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Making a transition to weapon art

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
cromadbomber polycounter lvl 10
Hello. Recently I have started a transition onto weapon art. Before that I was mostly making environmental assets but now I find weapon art more interesting to me.

Here is the project that I am currently doing now. It is FN SCAR-H rifle.
I have done like 60 percent of the rifle and some things might look a bit off. I will post my progress almost every day.

Here is the current status. Highpoly rendered in Marmoset 2.
qlz2a0m.png

Replies

• Itholon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Itholon polycounter lvl 7
    Looks like there are many proportion errors. Looks pretty good otherwise.
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd recommend a more neutral background - medium gray - to better display the details. I'm not a big fan of back-lighting as it tends to hide smaller details near the profile.

When working with weapons, try to compare your final dimensions with those of the actual weapon. Reference images aren't always accurate, and don't always have the correct aspect ratio. You can often get the correct sizes for components - such as magazines - and the Picatinny rail dimensions are easily found.
  • cromadbomber
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Today I have mostly worked on the part where the handle meets rest of the rifle.
    A4uNJki.png
    RMqEsJz.png
    screenshot006.png

Still have 25-30 percent of work to do.
  • cromadbomber
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been busy for couple of days. Started working on some new stuff like the front attachment and I have also improved or completely remodeled some of the parts.

2e5I8Wr.png
    23EG7nt.png
    xwPtZsn.png
    FObg1Vz.png
  • 3dReaper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3dReaper polycounter lvl 4
    Looks excellent, very nice detailing.
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    Looking very cool. There's a few shading errors that I'd get rid of though. Depends on how anal you want to be about it. Try using double edge loops in areas like the cut in holes to prevent the warping.
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    You should check your proportions again, your weapon is way too wide, and the picantinny on top is very off. There are millimeter measurements on google, picantinny has to be perfect. The whole sense of scale is strange. That small ring you put into that belt strap at the back, its so tiny per example. Make a general check over all your proportions with some references, else you will fall into a deep hole you cannot
    recover from. Aside that, the modeling looks pretty good so far