Home Quixel Megascans

dDo Legacy vs dDo (Suite)

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Gheromo polycounter lvl 11
Good day everyone,

With this thread I would like to hear other peoples opinions on new dDo and how well does it stand comparison with original dDo Legacy.

Here are my thoughts on the subject:

dDo legacy had procedural pattern generation, even though it was incredibly slow at times its something I miss. For example I remember original dDo had amazing filter called "heavy fumes" that was great for creating effect of something being burned. And even though that is not the only way of creating such effects, regardless they are still missing. And this procedural effects generation was actually a really nice feature that allowed for a lot of nice options, rather than only relying on material presets like new dDo. I cant stop myself thinking that this feature must make a return in one way or another.

What do you guys think on the subject what is good / bad / needs to be improved in new dDo and how well does it stand against dDo Legacy?

Replies

• Ryan Hawkins
    Fumes is already in the system, most things like this have moves to dynamask where you gain control of materials and how they work with masking.
  • Gheromo
    Offline / Send Message
    Gheromo polycounter lvl 11
    I had a look at it and to be honest its nowhere near as good. Original procedural algorithms allowed for much more "clumpy" looks rather than purely relying on gradient / object space textures and then overlaying (texture) material over it and calling it done.
  • Eric Ramberg
    @Gheromo - As you say procedural texturing is quite slow and hard to work with in higher resolutions. The new dDo uses scan-based data, rich curvature and directional information to create textures. There is however a great possibillity that scriptable procedural effects will return as an add-on to the "Dynamask" system. The old dDo is however as you might now Free for everyone so there is no point in not using it if you like it better!

I would suggest that you make something with the old tool, post it here and i will make a version with the new dDo and i can show you how to reach the same and maybe even a better level of detail :)

Easiest would be to use one of the sample projects from the wiki:
    http://quixel.se/usermanual/quixelsuite/doku.php?id=ddo_samples
  • Der Hollander
    I'm using Quixel Suite for work at the moment, and its introduction into our art toolsets has been warmly welcomed, but I have to say that I agree wholeheartedly with Gheromo's initial post. I really like the Dynamask editor in the Suite, and the easy integration of custom textures is really nice, I'd just like to see the older tools added into the new Suite.

Sure they're slow to render, but I feel that I had a lot more control with them, and since they were procedural, I didn't ever have to worry about texture resolution.

To provide an example, the Paint Chips set in legacy DDO is something that to my knowledge I'm completely unable to do out of the box in Suite, along with several of those types of settings that were able to make cool little nuances without ever having to rely on photo texture information.

Another thing missing from Suite seems to be integrated Layer Effects within the program itself, I'm currently having to create them manually for each map, which, if I recall was something that you could do in the legacy version without a hitch.

I'm a huge fan of the programs, so I just thought I'd offer some feedback to hopefully expand the procedural abilities of the system.
  • Fansub
    Offline / Send Message
    Fansub sublime tool
    I didn't ever have to worry about texture resolution.

This is IMHO one of the major disadvantages of the new Quixel Suite,the overall package is really great but i always have to worry about the resolution of my details,and when working with modular textures it's sometimes easier to get a quick and nice result in dDo with it procedural tech then the new DDO.

I prefer the new Quixel Suite,but the old version had some features that would definitely have been helpful and the complete package would have been even better.
  • Eric Ramberg
    Thank you so much for all the feedback! We´re looking in to implementing features from old ddo in to the new one! Your feedback serves as great suggestions to what features should be included. Most of the missing features we´re cut due to the fact that they where we´re very slow and heavy. Please keep the feedback coming, the tool is made for you artists and we´re always very keen on hearing what you think!
  • Visum
    Offline / Send Message
    Visum polycounter lvl 7
    I agree with guys here. Old procedural stuff was very helpful sometimes.
    Just add it to the new one. It doesn't matter if its slower. Options always beat lack of options no matter how they work :)
  • Stirls
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    I love this transparency and connection that Quixel has with the community. Awesome. I agree that legacy was a lot better in terms of control. I sorta feel like the suite tries to do it all for me.
  • Eric Ramberg
    Very nice to hear that you guys enjoy this open dialogue! This tool is for you, and in many senses by you as well. The legacy dDo certainly had its charms, and some features will find their way back for sure!
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Offline / Send Message
    nfrrtycmplx polycounter lvl 18
    Thank you so much for all the feedback! We´re looking in to implementing features from old ddo in to the new one! Your feedback serves as great suggestions to what features should be included. Most of the missing features we´re cut due to the fact that they where we´re very slow and heavy. Please keep the feedback coming, the tool is made for you artists and we´re always very keen on hearing what you think!

Curious, is noise generation coming back?
  • Eric Ramberg
    @nfrrtycmplx - Scriptable procedures are likely making their way in to Ddo in a later release, noise generation being one of them :)