Home Technical Talk

A Few Questions ! :)

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Burpee polycounter lvl 9
Hi, first thanks for taking time to answer me.

First about a carrer choice, i heard the better way to get into the game industry is as a environment / props modeler ? But is it also true for Film industry ?

And i was also asking myself, how many poly a " next-gen " character should have ? and how do you define next gen ? For exemple crysis' character ?

Same question for environment ? And how do you define the polycount on a environment ? it's on screen ?

When we do some retopo on a character, for game, you " merge " his shirt / pants / other stuff on him ? So how do you make cloth simulation ?

Last question, about portfolio, i want to be a modeler guy, so I should start as a environment / props artist then when i master anatomy maybe tryin for a character artist position ? I love both film and game industry but i was asking witch one has the more job openning ?

Last question ( again! :o ) if you can advice me some DVD / Youtube channel / anything about props / environment / character modeling on Maya / zBrush that helped you i would be glad.

Thanks again :)

Replies

• AdvisableRobin
    Offline / Send Message
    AdvisableRobin polycounter lvl 10
    I can only answer some of these questions since I don't do character work. I can give you some high level career advice but obviously take that with a grain of salt and pepper.

So really when talking about next-gen they're talking about better rendering technology. Definitely read up some Physically Based Rendering, its pretty neat stuff. Poly counts definitely go up with each generation of technology but the actual poly count of a character or scene depends on what you are working on.

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=43975

I just skimmed over this but it is an example of some character poly counts.

Some youtube users that I use for hard surface, environment art or general 3D knowledge.
    Arrimus 3D
    Joe Harford
    Andrew Maximov

Other sites to check out, some of them cost money.
    Digital Tutors
    Gumroad
    Eat3D

Also try the Polycount Wiki(woo!)
    http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Tutorials

Now, for some career advice. Don't compromise on what you want to do, don't become an environmental artist just so you can try to switch into characters or props. Make a choice and get good at one of them, get really good. Our industry, especially large companies want focused and specialized people.

Do what you are passionate about, getting a job isn't about what industry has more openings or which job is easier to get into, its about being passionate and being really damn good at what you do and the only way to get good at something is to really enjoy what you are doing. So do what you want, honestly that is it.
  • Burpee
    Offline / Send Message
    Burpee polycounter lvl 9
    Hi AdvisableRobin,

Thanks for your answer :)

I didn't say i like character more than environment, maybe a bit more but still, i love modeling/sculpting stuff.
    I really like your way to think, i totaly agree with you when you're saying
    " its about being passionate and being really damn good at what you do and the only way to get good at something is to really enjoy what you are doing. "

• Burpee
    Offline / Send Message
    Burpee polycounter lvl 9
    Hey, me again, i was asking myself, if i want to learn some real-time engine, should i start on Unreal Engine 3 or 4 ? I heard the CryEngine is a bit too complexe ?

• slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    I would go with whatever the most up to date version of unreal is out. Also, the FX industry is just as tough if not tougher then the gaming industry to make a living. It is far more contract based and unstable...which is saying a lot since the gaming industry is really unstable as well. Pick a focus and just put your heart in soul into it 110%.
  • Burpee
    Offline / Send Message
    Burpee polycounter lvl 9
    Wise word. Thanks my friend :)