Home Contests & Challenges Archives Arms & Armor, Chivalry: Medieval Workshop

[Chivalry] -- Mason knight -- Instigator set

Final presentation. Look below to see the development of the items.

FqrCXrz.png
3N7lXNM.png
iVu30Bs.png
xOUz803.png
9m72KcA.png
o4cV6pQ.png
dXatyks.png
tS0c9Ke.png

Hello everyone, I'm a bit late to the party but I would like to present you my entry for this great contest.

This will consist in a reskin of the Sword of War, the Mason knight helmet and a new emblem to go along with the pack.
I hope I'll have everything ready before the deadline!

The theme of my set has an inspiration of the medieval and renaissance equipment worn by people primarily from the south of the Europe. In the Chivalry lore, the sword and helmet belong to an important mason Overlord who is a legend among his equals. The old books say this Mason nobleman lost his daughter in a surprise ambush by the Agathians, after that he disappeared. Later he reappeared with his brand new and epic equipment and brought a lot of victorys for the Mason team.

I'll start with the development of the sword:

Reference board:
3IM6YwH.png

A poor geometry reference shape I did in photoshop. I'm not a good concept artist...

e04tkv8.png

The high poly is already happening, I didn't draw it on the ejem... "concept" but I plan to add engravements to the sword, the pomel will make the emblem of the set, being a eagle on top of a tree with a tombstone beside it. It would be easier to understand with an image wich will be posted as soon as I do it.

Replies

• GRAT0R
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Basic high poly mesh, I'll play with the shapes a bit more and maybe change the handle for another completely different.

y3360bt.png
  • GRAT0R
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A little bit more work into the high poly, preparing the surfaces where the engravements will be. I changed the handle, this one is a bit weird but I kinda like it. I'd make it look like barnished carved wood if I decide this will be the final grip.
    hp13_9_zpsd35309b3.png

W2Tsn7N.png
  • GRAT0R
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok so I haven't been updating this thread as much as I should but giving the lack of comments I felt a bit unmotivated to do so. Besides that, I kept on working on my entry. I tweaked a little bit the HP base and tried to use zBrush to add the engravements. I am a big noob with zBrush but here you have a screenshot of how it is supposed to look like.

V0VbTgW.png

The blank spaces in the quillions will be filled with the words Dura lex, sed lex

This time I was also working on the emblem I had in mind:

fUOUOGw.png

It's not close to being finished, the details may be too slim for the engine to pick it up and lacks some nice pattern or a better distribution of the elements.

The low poly is half done and I will upload screens of that later. Time is running and I just hope I can finish it in time.

Answere this post today for a chance of winning a virtual hug.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Love the design,very Spanish Medieval,looks like El Cid's sword Tizona.
  • GRAT0R
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @JO420 Thanks for the kind comment! That was really my aim since the beginning.

Low poly modeling has been completed. The Triangle count is 4918:

YQrzFuB.png

LUd68sJ.png

YGhrdQN.png

rynSkcF.png

Now I can move onto UV work while finishing the last details of the high poly engravements.
  • GRAT0R
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UPDATE on the LP:
    UV work and baking went quite well and textures will be up soon I hope.

Here are some progress pics on the normal map.

WFV1EUJ.png

Q1kVJwR.png

xUgvhSe.png
  • Zelfit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zelfit polycounter lvl 8
    There is a lot of problems with you NM, what did you use to bake it?
  • GRAT0R
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Zelfit I used xNormals. Tangent space normal with the -Y as I read somewhere on this forums. By "lot of problems" what do you refeer to? I would guess you are mentioning that gray shading thingy. I used a version of the sword all smoothed with the same group to bake the maps because It's the only way I know that solves another issue I had before with edge projection. Can you give me any tips?

EDITED: I've been all day working on solving all the NM issues and I think I got pretty far, can you tell me if I solved the main issues with these images?

8N1rbLM.png

qofHJ0H.png
  • GRAT0R
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UPDATE: worked on a basic diffuse and specular to test it in the engine. I'll be redoing it so try to think a better color combination than the one I've choosen (I'll be doing a couple more color tests tho) The map DOES NOT CONTAIN any kind of wear yet.

UDK screens:
    nePGqXt.png

DGAXAOG.png

wiVP2Jp.png
  • Zelfit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zelfit polycounter lvl 8
    oh yeee. Now it looks good
  • jnumber9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jnumber9 triangle
    Looks nice indeed!
  • Imperium101
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Keep at It Grator,the weapon looks good and namely it fits within the game.
  • GRAT0R
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, thanks for the kind comments so far! I am really glad you guys are liking it. Right now I started working on the helmet and will post all my references and "concept" here. I won't spend much time on the drawing board because, unfortunately, I am too bad at it and the days keep running but I hope I can deliver a nicely shaped bascinet to go with this sword.

Talking about the sword, peopple kept telling me that the color combination was good enough, so I'll work on a wear and damage details layer and the blood mask for now on and I don't waste time trying other colours. Any feedback is still appreciated!!
  • audi100
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    audi100 polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah turned out great. Some more polishing for the leather grip and i think you are golden :)
  • GRAT0R
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    audi100 wrote: »
    Yeah turned out great. Some more polishing for the leather grip and i think you are golden :)

Hey thanks! in the previous images, the grip is suposed to be barnished darkwood. This is me trying to do a leather version, also polished the guard and blade textures a little bit. [not engine screenshots]

kFKGVip.png8giNaQG.pngyZXeeOi.png
  • GRAT0R
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello, it's me again. I've been working in the helmet since my last post and I wanted to show you the progress so far. I had the idea when I first though about joining the contest but I choose to wait and see for other entrys to come in (I really never modeled a helmet before).
    It's been quite tough getting the shape right with the neckless mason warrior base but fun none the less.

uj7PfSz.jpg

4BIJSwk.jpg

YBmVArj.jpg

The helmet will have two states: open & closed. The open state could have the visor opened to the right like I intended it to be at first but without the visor looks fine aswell. What are your opinions on this early model?
  • GRAT0R
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello, Today I finished the HP and the LP, have a look:
    Ry9tKwt.jpg

I felt like the helmet was missing something special and I added a crown like sort of thingy where I'll be detailing following the style of the sword.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    excellent helmet,im really digging it,it looks different but not overly fantasy or over the top and most importantly it looks Medieval.
  • GRAT0R
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello, worked all day today aswell, check it out:
    TFhZbPB.png
    tS0c9Ke.png

Also I am renaming the set to "Instigator set". I thought the previous name was really kind of bad

More pics, close ups, blood masks and the open version of the helmet comming tomorrow.
  • Frank the Fish
    i want that helmet so bad!! looks really good i think this one is a winner :D goodluck mate
  • GRAT0R
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Frank, I really appreciate your words.

Today I couldn't work as much but here is it, the bloodmask
    o4cV6pQ.png
  • islipaway
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    islipaway polycounter lvl 10
    I really like the texture of the blade and the helmet, for me it really sells being made of steel. However the wrap part and the black parts seem really plain, almost flat colour with not real material definition.

Also it looks like he's holding onto the pommel, if that's the character/animations you intend to replace I would lengthen the handle asap!
  • Nolt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nolt polycounter lvl 13
    Nice job! Came out really nice looking. Best of luck to you
  • GRAT0R
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @islapaway Sorry for not responding you earlier, been everywhere the last 40 hours. The textures intend to have material definition but as soon as I zoom out just a bit in the udk, the engine compresses the textures very hard and I can really see where your feedback comes from. I didn't changed it because I really had no time to do so and I was happy enough with the results when you look at it closely in the 3do renders for example. The holding onto the pommel thing you mentioned, as far as I know, is a known error of the 3p animations chiv uses, also a pretty badass historical techique :d. I wish you luck.

@9thKnight Thanks man I really appreciate it, good luck to you too.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Really loving the subtle, realistic treatment of the helmet. Very nice :)