Home Technical Talk

Creating environments for short CG film. need help/advice

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Erasius polycounter lvl 10
Hello , I'm currently working with a small team on a short cinematic. ( between 1 -2 minutes )

It's is basically a short chase scene though an alienated desert with drones and hover-bikes and whatnot ( think pod racers )

we're currently working on pre-production, finishing our animated storyboard, creating concept art and doing research on how we are going to build up our scenes.

We are used to creating environments and scenes for games but we have never made an animated short film before and therfor I would like to ask if you guys have any tips & tricks or tutorials.

In most of our shots you will just see rocks passing by as the character races though canyons and crevices alongside a couple of open establishing shots at the start.
So we were thinking about creating multiple maya scenes with hand made geometry in the foreground mixed with procedural created terrain ( world machine ) and matte paintings in the background.
We are also trying some stuff with camera mapping.

Do you guys think this is a good way to go or are there better / faster ways of building these scenes ?

I've seen people using world machine as height/splatMaps a lot lately for their environments in UE4/UDK and CryEngine, but will it actually work in maya ? is it even necessary to create such an environment at all or is it better to just fake it somehow ?

Hopefully you guys/girls can help us out a bit.
again, Tips ,trick and tutorials are always welcome.

Thank you.

Environment_ConceptArt_AVA_RamtinSaeedi.jpg

Edit* added a speed painting of the environment made by our concept artist to show you guys what kind of environment we are going to make.