Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Ragnarök

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
Hey!

So I've begun working on this piece recently, and I would love your opinion and feedback. It's still quite a work in progress, and many elements haven't really been touched yet (the sky, the background, and the world snake Jormungandr, the waves need proper rendering)

I'm really trying to tell a story; the Norse breaking of the world and the fall of the Gods.

All criticism is most welcome!
fBSzLQG.jpg

Replies

• kneedeepinthedoomed
    Awesome theme. Nice composition.

The shield boss doesn't look quite right. I had to look very closely to see that it has a rim. There is also something else wrong with the shield, but I can't put my finger on it. Perspective?

The ship is very well done (though I always thought Naglfar would be slightly bigger than normal ships, assuming this is what it's meant to be.)

I like that you seem to be going with historical correctness in the places where it matters, instead of Skyrim-type faux Norse fantasy.
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    Thank you!
    I'll do what I can tonight to get the rim on the shield boss to look better, and hopefully fix whatever it is you see that is off. I think I've had my face in this for so long, I no longer see the flaws. :P

It's actually not Naglfar, but that is an interesting idea, I hadn't considered it, since in Norse Lore, it was a ship made from the nails of the dead. I didn't think this would translate well and be obvious to the viewer.

I decided to go with the design based off the Oseberg ship, currently found in Oslo's Viking Ship Museum. Its ornate prow really caught my eye.

Thanks again good sir.
  • kneedeepinthedoomed
    I decided to go with the design based off the Oseberg ship, currently found in Oslo's Viking Ship Museum. Its ornate prow really caught my eye.

Yeah, I recognized that. Nice rendering of that ship.