Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Need some Help on her :)

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Burpee polycounter lvl 9
Hi,
I'm creating my first female model on Zbrush, i need some advice on anatomy, and overall aspect.

She's some kind of succube, the only difference with a real female is the horns and the tails.

Thanks

Replies

• Emily
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Burpee!

I'd say you're off to a great start for a first female sculpt.

I find that when I fix minor problems on my models' faces, it encourages me to finish the overall model since I know it'll end up looking good.

Some things that I noticed in the face:

1.The tip of her nose is a little skinny, and naturally the middle of our noses tend to be a little more bulbous with the cartridge forming the shape.

2. You do seem to have mass for the frontalis muscle, but pushing the current mass toward the inner part of the model would help represent the contours of the muscle, I would say the same for the temporalis muscle.

3. I'm sure it's not set in stone but most proportional drawings show the lobe of the ear and the bottom of the nose line up, so perhaps bring the ear down a smidge?

4. The masseter muscle fills in a bit of this space, and would make the model's face appear a little less thin.

5.From this angle, the neck should be taking on a more curvy shape instead of widening in a linear fashion.

6. When you get to the details, you can try a thin brush to paint in some individual hairs, on her brow, as the hairs appear to be very short and thick at this point (but of course that's no biggie)

6n_Q6r81.jpg

this link helps to explain the muscle masses I talked about http://area.autodesk.com/userdata/image/showcase/3/6bh19-07c3u-51cy4-x0c9z.jpg

I hope that helps and I'd love to see her progression :D
  • Burpee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Burpee polycounter lvl 9
    Hi Emily !

First, i really appreciate your help ! My english isn't perfect i hope i've got everything you told me

And i don't want to take too much merit on this, i started from this basemesh, so it was a lot easier.

oYLybm5.png

I tryed to take notice of your recommandations

Before
    6nQ6r81.png
    After
    cB2voRJ.png
    WAauBWa.png

Too be more specific, i'm not tryin to master the woman anatomy on this work, i'm tryin to do some kind of cartoon render like Carlos Ortega's Work with some kind of elfic looking like this one GYZYLw9.png

So that's it, thanks again for helping me :)
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Just so you know, that "cartoon" elf has very solid anatomy. The best stylized artists know that their anatomy still has to be ROCK SOLID for it to look good. So, make sure you understand anatomy first before you attempt stylized characters or they won't look as good as that elf you are using as an example.
  • DireWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd say you need to know correct proportions and anatomy first before you start to bend the rules.

To emphasis what Emily told you about the lips, look carefully at Carlos' character's mouth. See the fullness of it? How it looks round, soft, very inviting to kiss?
  • Boozebeard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boozebeard polycounter lvl 11
    Stylization is a process of exaggerating and simplifying areas of anatomy but you can't do this effectively if you don't know the anatomy to begin with.
  • Burpee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Burpee polycounter lvl 9
    Hi, you're all right. I should first train the anatomy. Thanks for yours replies.

Cheers
  • Emily
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Burpee wrote: »
    Hi, you're all right. I should first train the anatomy. Thanks for yours replies.

Cheers

We all have to start somewhere!

But please, don't let anything or anyone discourage you from doing what you just did, which is getting into the program and getting comfortable with the tools!

It is just as important to be comfortable and quick with the tools as it is to learn the anatomical forms. I tend to keep an anatomical reference on my second screen or in my lap while I sculpt.

I would look at your model and sculpt her in parts, looking at some muscle reference. Depending on your version of zbrush, Ryan Kingslien should have a female encorche you can open and look at for reference. Any youtube videos you can find of him using zbrush for anatomy may help too.

If all we did was try to expand our knowledge without starting on something, we'd have a whole lot of nothing to show for it. It's easy to get lost in tutorials, so finding balance is key.

Just keep working on her with some references and I'm sure you'll get improvement. :)
  • Burpee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Burpee polycounter lvl 9
    Of course Emily i won't give up :)

I'll keep posting stuff here, thanks for your help!

Cheers