Home General Discussion

Anime movies worth watching!

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
MrOneTwo polycounter lvl 12
Yesterday i saw Red Line - anime movie. I dont' watch much anime. Usually shows with hundreds of episodes are something my body can't handle. Sometimes I find some really cool anime movie (for example Red Line).

Those movies have some really cool and different ideas in them. You can clearly see a difference in culture.

Could you share some great anime (or even not anime but Asian) movies worth watching ?

Things I watched:

Berserk series - Loved it.

Red Line - it has really crazy style. Worth watching just too see creators imagination come to life.

Spirited Away - great stuff. Saw it long time ago though.

Howl's Moving Castle - great stuff. Saw it long time ago though.

Akira - ... no comment needed.

Ghost in the Shell - long time ago. Need to check version 2.0. I was too young to really understand it.

Sword of the Stranger - worth seeing for the quality of animation. Beautiful stuff.

Probably have seen more but can't recall. Those can be a real treat for your brain.

Replies

• Jeremy Mitchell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Mitchell polycounter lvl 6
    Princess Mononoke
    Battle Angel
    Ninja Scroll
  • Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Garden of words: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoA4vYlfoc4
    Interesting story and really nice visuals. I'd say it's worthy watching just for that alone.

Otherwise, i'd say those "hundreds of eps animes are actually VERY rate these days. At most, they are like 24 or so eps. If you take into acount that they are like 20 mins each, that's like maybe 8 hours in total, which is not that bad i guess.

And some of those are rather good too.
    Shinsekai yori / from the new world - 24 eps. Not very well known, but really great (anime) series. Suppose to be in future, but it mostly looks like fantasy rather. It's hard to define genre, but atleast pacing is really nice, world is weird, yes really detailed and unique. And it has some interesting moral questions towards the end. I'd say watch maybe first two eps, by that time you should probably already know if it's something you wanna watch, since it's based a lot on mystery, and you already have that in 1st ep already.
  • Jonathan_AV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonathan_AV polycounter lvl 6
    Neon Genesis Evangelion - Some of the best mech designs IMO (I'm not a fan of boxy mechs). Downside is all the teen angst in the dialog. Sometimes they go down that rabbit hole for a while and I have to fast forward. Still a great show though.

Attack on Titan - Some parallels to Neon Genesis actually. Watched this recently and really enjoyed it.

Blood the Last Vampire

Going to have to add Code Geass on that list, the voice acting, visuals, and sound production still continue to give me chills even after re-watching the amazing series.
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    One Piece Film Z
    One Piece Strong World

only if you are a fan, of course...
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Berserk also has a fantastic Manga if you're up for the read. The artwork in the Manga is probably my favorite of all time, too.

berserk-1591494.jpg

Berserk was written by a genuine mental patient though lol.
  • Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Some others you may like:
    Space Battleship Yamato 2199 (this is sort of a legend among anime)
    Towards the Terra (another not very known, but really great scifi/super powers)
    Seirei no Moribito - one of my personal favourite, i'd strongly suggest this one. More feudal japan with mix of unique fantasy. One great thing about this is, it's not so black-and-white. THere's no good, no evil, just people who are put in various positions. Made by same authors as Ghost in the shell, so visually it's really nice, and music is really something else.
    And also, main character is 30 years old female spear figther, so the anime has a bit more..well, mature feeling to it, no teen angst drama or anything like that.
    Trailer:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bo8TxQ4_MvI
    No subs, but i think you can get some feeling for it
  • Spacey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spacey polycounter lvl 18
    Aachi & Ssipak - One hell of a ride. Loose animation and crazy action. I'd look for the subbed version as this Mondo group "re-imagined the film -- rewriting and re-voicing it," so I can't say how terrible their version is or isn't.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OO_4eaZKdjg"]Aachi & Ssipak - Chapter 1 - YouTube[/ame]
  • Higuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Higuy polycounter lvl 9
    Literally all of the Ghibli Movies. All of them. Even the ones Miyazaiki didn't make are great. Go watch them now.

In addition, watch Neon Gensis Evangelion (watch the TV show before the remake movies imo) its fantastic, in depth and psychological. Also badass mechs n explosions.

Ghost in the Shell is great too, one of the first anime movies I ever saw.
  • Megacorpse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Megacorpse polycounter lvl 8
    MrOneTwo wrote: »
    Ghost in the Shell - long time ago. Need to check version 2.0. I was too young to really understand it.

I personnally dislike how they replaced some original scenes with 3D that looks off compared to the rest of the movie. Also all the Cyberspace sequences have been turned from green to orange which sucks, but that's just me, heh.
    You might check out Avalon, it's also from Mamoru Oshii and it's pretty much a live action Japanese anime movie.

Nausicaa is my favourite Miyazaki Movie. The spore forest, insectoid mechs and awesome soundtrack are just so beautiful.

Another Anime movie that left me pretty impressed is 2001's Metropolis. Great stuff.
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    From what you gave me I saw:

Princess Mononoke

Ninja Scroll - this one was really cool (saw it recently and it's really old...).

Battle Angle - read manga. Didn't know there is something to watch.

Attack on Titan - the best and worst of an anime series in one show.

Cowboy Bebop - ooooh this one. One of the best.

Claymore - also really cool if someone likes stuff like Berserk.

One Piece - saw like almost 300 episodes... I really like this show but I'm probably done. Watching movies seems like something I can do though!

FLCL - remeber i really enjoyed it but... can't really remember what it was about... I know it was wacky.

Space Dandy from what i heard is from the Bebop creators. Looks weird though. More like a generic anime. But will try it out.

Yeah Berserk manga looks great. From what i know manga continues the story of the series. In the series I loved how all those supernatural stuff where almost none existent. In the end everything that happens punches many times harder because of the dramatic jump from knights and politics to demons devouring even the strongest warriors. In the manga supernatural stuff becomes more common. I probaly should try manga though. There is no such thing as 'too much Berserk'.

Heard many good things about Code Geass but I can't stand how it looks. It's just too anime :p

I will research everything else you gave me. I prefer movies since i really can't spend too much time watching series. Thanks guys.
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    Any recommendations that are on netflix?
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    Btoom! is one of the best series I have seen lately.
  • SonicBlue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SonicBlue polycounter lvl 10
    About Ghost in the Shell 2.0, I'd recommend first to re watch the original 1995 version, in the 2.0 they added many 3D elements that doesn't fit very well with the old stuff.

The content is the same, but it's how you represent it, the 3D is very invasive.

Anyway, here's a list of some anime I remember enjoying watching.

Movies:

Jin-Roh
    Nausicaa
    Roujin Z
    Tekkonkinkreet
    The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
    Tokyo Godfathers
    Colorful
    Porco Rosso
    Laputa: Castle in the Sky
    Pom Poko

Anime series:

The Tatami Galaxy
    BECK Mongolian Chop Squad
    Nadia
    Nichijou
    Daily Lives of High School Boys
    Overman King Gainer
    Planetes
    Samurai Champloo
    Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
    Last Exile
    Xam'D: Lost Memories
    Katanagatari
    And Yet The Town Moves
    Kids on the Slope
    Space Battleship Yamato 2199
    The Long Journey of Porphy
    Initial D
    Chihayafuru
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh i also remember watching

Baccano - enjoyed it.

Weird anime series with curses or smth like that where a girl gets monkey, hairy hand - anyone may know what I'm talking about ? That one was interesting. I remember main character was a guy who helped people cursed or invaded by ghosts. It actually had some really mature ideas under teenager problems.

Megacorpse & SonicBlue - i guess I'm watching both...
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    I recommend reading the Manga instead of watching anime.
    You get to enjoy the fullest experience of it. Many anime messed up their story. Or you get annoyed by someone's dying scene that is over cliche and so dragging.

Manga I recommend are:
    - Full Metal Alchemist
    - Akame ga KILL
    - Knights of Sidonia
    - Rise of the Shield Hero (Tate No Yuusha No Nariagari)
    - Mx0 (a non-magician dude inside a magic-user high school! He bluffs everyone and pretends to be the most badass student there !)
    - Kure-nai
    - Kiwaguro no Brynhildr

and a few others...
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah i agree reading mangas is the way to go ... but not digitally. If i read a comics I really need it on paper. I tried reading on pc few times since I can't buy most of the stuff i would like to. Also i want to give some cash to people who create those. I got 35 Naruto books (and 7 Ragnaroks and 1 japanese Dragon Ball! :D)... oh cmon everyone was young and foolish ! Who knew it would drag for years... (everyone except young and foolish).
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    No one mentioned Grave of the Fireflies...watch it.
  • SonicBlue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SonicBlue polycounter lvl 10

Weird anime series with curses or smth like that where a girl gets monkey, hairy hand - anyone may know what I'm talking about ? That one was interesting. I remember main character was a guy who helped people cursed or invaded by ghosts. It actually had some really mature ideas under teenager problems.

Bakemonogatari?
    Megacorpse wrote: »
    I personnally dislike how they replaced some original scenes with 3D that looks off compared to the rest of the movie. Also all the Cyberspace sequences have been turned from green to orange which sucks, but that's just me, heh.

It's not just you, they ruined it, very few anime blends 3D and 2D in the right way.
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Exactly SonicBlue! How could I forget that title... :P
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Spacey: That looks awesome, I just watched the English dub chapter 1 and then the original Korean version of the same sequence; it looks like they shit all over it to make it more "internet funny".

Here's the original dialogue at the end when they run over the last blue guy:

Aachi: "Hey slow poke, think you're faster?"

Ssipak: "You betcha!"

Here's the English dub:
    Aachi: "And yer dead! That dude just got a motorcycle up his butt!"

Ssipak: "Wheelie time!"

Aachi: "That was stupid! Watch me weave around like a snake!"
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    Azumanga Daioh
    Lucky Star
    K-on
    Yuru YUri
    Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai ( haganai)
    melachony suzumiya haruhi

reason : cuuuuuuuuuteee
  • Damian Nachman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damian Nachman polycounter lvl 6
    The Cowboy Bebop movie has some wicked animation:

ixSxId4yKIwxG.gif
    tumblr_n67vdpSgFL1tzixowo1_500.gif
  • Damian Nachman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damian Nachman polycounter lvl 6
    Hermit wrote: »
    I always felt that Cowboy bebop was way overrated. I really hated it. But the main character is interesting. Same for Akira...

Never liked Akira too much, but for me Cowboy Bebop was the perfect combination of awesome animation, great music, and a unique setting.
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    You guys should check out Space Dandy

tumblr_n0sn5p1Dln1rm4wgqo6_500_1.gif
    tumblr_nbar7vjiqg1qzqnxxo1_500.gif
    tumblr_nb6ojmbvlZ1qh6swzo1_500.gif
    fd177ee61d7f2ac82d2cba19f9d6acc6.jpg
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dandy is great, I hate the J-Pop intro though, I wish they just stuck with this one for the English dub

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egaVRIUO-Cc"]Space Dandy Opening - US / Toonami Version - YouTube[/ame]

also this scene is great
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kG72OZvIbn0"]Space Dandy - Michael Jackson meets Dragonball - YouTube[/ame]
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    "The Wind Rises" was so beautiful, story and art.
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    since most of them have been mentioned already

serial experiment lain
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OP: suggest some anime

Polycount: ALL THE ANIME!
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    well I think suggesting well known anime wont do the justice , since most people already know it.. :p
  • spiderDude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spiderDude polycounter lvl 8
    Here's one not mentioned yet: Michiko & Hatchin

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcEjvApe2Fw"]Michiko & Hatchin - Official Clip - Cat & Mouse On The Highway - YouTube[/ame]
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    Steins;Gate is an awesome series.
    Code Geass and Full Metal Alchemist are some of my favorites by far, but most know of those already.
    I know I really enjoyed the Escaflowne movie (not the series) as a teenager, but I haven't watched it in like 10 years and it's possible it might not meet my current standards.
    JoJo's Bizarre adventure is surprisingly awesome. The first season was kinda meh, but the second and third are great.
    A really amazing one put out recently was No Game, No Life. It unfortunately only got 12 episodes.
    If you're into the awesomely eccentric type stuff, both Gurren Lagann and Monogatori are great.
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    I'll second Michiko to Hatchin, it's the best series I've seen in years.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 3
    1. Ergo Proxy

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pjGAUr8VKY"]Ergo proxy episode 1 1/3 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYtteOe9iBw"]Ergo Proxy OST - Opus 1 [FULL] - YouTube[/ame]

2. Hellsing. This is in two versions. Watch Ultimate one.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4mSFm8fuwY"]Hellsing: Episode 1 - The Undead. (English Dubbed) - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqsiMuS6574"]Hellsing Ultimate Walter C. Dornez vs Alucard BD 1080p [Part 1] - [Ultimate Quality] - YouTube[/ame]

PLEASE! Don't watch them with dubbing. Watch original language versions. They are much better.
  • Mstankow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mstankow polycounter lvl 11
    Summer Wars
    Wolf Children
  • Nox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nox polycounter lvl 5
    Last Exile
    Memories (1995 film)
    Paprika
    Fate/Stay Night
    Claymore
    Chobits
    Patema Inverted
    Gunslinger Girl
    Tokyo Godfathers
    Ninja Scroll
  • DireWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love Gin no Saji (Silver spoon). Brought to you by the same team who created Metal Alchemist.
  • Shadownami92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shadownami92 polycounter lvl 7
    For things I don't think have been posted yet I personally really enjoyed Kino's Journey and Daughter of Twenty Faces. Kino's Journey doesn't have the best animation quality but it does have an interesting concept and Daughter of Twenty Faces just seemed really well rounded, don't think it ever got an english release though.

Daughter of Twenty Faces
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfUYh5rxkXA"]Daughter of Twenty Faces OP Video - YouTube[/ame]

Kino's Journey
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udmx3ioHWDI"]Kino's Journey Trailer - YouTube[/ame]
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    If anybody comes into this thread thinking most of this anime looks really ridiculous and stupid (like I kind of do, no offense), but still wants to get something out of it, here's some stuff I liked that had an uncommon theme, good story and generally none of the ridiculousness I dislike in most anime:

Ghost In The Shell Standalone Complex (series) - this is WAY better than the movie even if you ask me, one of my favorite series ever, I enjoyed this as much as Breaking Bad.
    There's also 'Stand Alone Complex- 2nd GIG', which is nearly as good as the first one, very much worth your time too.

An extremely interesting story I found was the series 'Zipang' about a modern Japanese destroyer ship accidentally traveling back in time to WW2 and how they deal with influencing the past and the future.
    The series is not complete though, so you don't get the ending, and the manga isn't even fully translated to English.

And yeah most all Studio Ghibli's are worth watching too. Except 'The Cat Returns'.
  • Vysuki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vysuki polycounter lvl 9
    garriola83 wrote: »

I watched this, I wish I hadn't :( I'm not one into sad and depressing heart wrenching films but I wasn't told what it was till it was too late.

It's well done, well written but not if you want to fell good the rest of the evening.
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    mantragora wrote:
    This is in two versions. Watch Ultimate one.

Nope.
    The TV series has excellent atmosphere, further amplified by its great soundtrack. This gives meaning to watching a series with a such a dumb plot.

Ultimate has a significantly bigger budget - which was mostly spent on flashy FX, slow mo bullet shells and dynamic camera movements. Music is super bland, art direction is meh.
    It does follow the original manga's plot, which is nice, but said plot was so uninspired that I'm not sure if it's an advantage.

So basically, if you care about drawings' quality and you enjoy colorful glow on things, gradients and other modern FX, watch Ultimate.
    If you care about the atmosphere, watch TV series.
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    Here are some of my favourites, I'm sure I'm forgetting loads.

Steins;Gate
    Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
    Elfen Lied
    Kemono no Souja Erin
    Clannad
    Planetes
    Madoka
    NHK
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Some really good suggestions in in here! Some stuff that I can't really stomach (wow, you guys are into some crazy sh**) but there's some stuff here I'm definitely going to check out.

I can second Moribito Guardian of the Spirit. It's really hard to find a copy (even online), but the main character is a fully clothed, non-sexualized 30 year old woman who wields a spear. Talk about rare, especially for anime. Give it a shot, great animation, interesting story, and cool lore. Great fight scenes to boot!
  • Lokidottir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lokidottir polycounter lvl 5
    garriola83 wrote: »

Beautiful film, first time I watched it was straight after watching pearl harbour for the first time (I was bored one night), luckily when it finished I turned over to find Grave of the fireflies just starting, such a beautifully heartbreaking story and so needed after the Hollywood "blockbuster"

my offerings to this list are:

Appleseed
    Gunsmith Cats
    Bubblegum Crisis

Don't think these have been mentioned as yet but I feel are all worth a watch, in fact watching Appleseed now :)
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So many interesting stuff. Thanks guys.

Some of the stuff is way to anime for me :D. The reason I created this thread was watching Red Line. It has so many great ideas. So many new stuff I haven't seen. I find that the reason for seeing so much new stuff is the difference in culture.

Also the difference in countrys history or way of seeing western culture (Berserk or Dark Souls omnomnomnom) can result in great stuff.

A bit of a rant in times when stuff like Bleach is still popular (maybe not as popular as it used to be but what's up with that...?) So yeaahhh... keep them coming !
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Makkon wrote: »
    Some really good suggestions in in here! Some stuff that I can't really stomach (wow, you guys are into some crazy sh**) but there's some stuff here I'm definitely going to check out.

I can second Moribito Guardian of the Spirit. It's really hard to find a copy (even online), but the main character is a fully clothed, non-sexualized 30 year old woman who wields a spear. Talk about rare, especially for anime. Give it a shot, great animation, interesting story, and cool lore. Great fight scenes to boot!

Moribito is on Netflix and I think Hulu as well for streaming. Full series.
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Ah, good to hear! That may be a recent development, when I looked for it there pretty slim pickings.
  • DEElekgolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DEElekgolo interpolator
    Steam boy
    Big O
    Evangelion
    Ping Pong
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    Fair warning about Hellsing Ultimate, it has some INCREDIBLY fucked up shit in it.

I really enjoyed the original TV series but Ultimate is WAY more messed up... The point where I instantly quit the series was a few episodes in when one of the bad guys decides to rape the corpse of a woman he just killed. Yeah...

Seriously if any series should come with a box completely plastered in content warnings, it's this....
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I saw almost whole Hellsing Ultimate. The thing is Ultimate is exactly the same as manga. Unlike previous Hellsing series. Fun fact: guy who wrote/drew Hellsing was previously creating porn.
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    clannad/clannad after story
    7ddabe6e25.jpg
    Fun fact: guy who wrote/drew Hellsing was previously creating porn.
    This is like 90% of manga artists. It's a great way to break into the industry, believe it or not. You build up a fanbase from your porn.