Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Finally Learning zBrush

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Chronicle polycounter lvl 5
I'm FINALLY getting to learning zBrush. This is my first sculpt so far. Started from zSpheres and now I'm just sculpting the mesh. Still work in progress but what do you guys think? I've worked the least on the forearms and shins.

X4cNbaf.jpg

Replies

• DireWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's good as long as you're sculpting something. Keep it up and get your 1,000 hours in! :)
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    I think you need to look at some more anatomy reference. If you have 2 monitors(you should) just have a few reference images open at all times on one. Also don't step up the subdivisions too quickly. Stay low for as long as possible!

I probably wouldn't spend too much time polishing this guy. You might be better off doing a few more sculpts of different poses and body types.

Disclaimer: not a character artist.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    I'd recommend making planar forms first before you smooth everything out. Right now it's feeling very bubbly and not realistic.

attachment.php?attachmentid=395974

The human body, overall, has planes across the contours of landmark muscle groups and bones. It definitely helps artists dipping into anatomy to break down forms into simple shapes before attempting to make the a tad bit smoother and closer to reality.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    That looks way better than my first sculpt, that's a fact :)

More anatomy! Can never have enough of it. You now have a new lifetime goal :)
  • Chronicle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Solid advice. Yeah I don't have two moniters so I just alt tabbed between this yOfi8OR.jpg

and what I was working on. I don't plan to take this one much farther. Yeah I also didn't mean to go up in detail so much so soon. When I converted to mesh from polysphere's i started with too much resolution, then it couldnt' reconstruct lower levels. Kinda messed up there(learning process i guess). Still in the process of watching all the tutorials from zClassroom too.

Does anyone have any advice for how to really start these? Was starting with polyspheres alright? Is there another way you all prefer?
  • Chronicle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd recommend making planar forms first before you smooth everything out. Right now it's feeling very bubbly and not realistic.

attachment.php?attachmentid=395974

The human body, overall, has planes across the contours of landmark muscle groups and bones. It definitely helps artists dipping into anatomy to break down forms into simple shapes before attempting to make the a tad bit smoother and closer to reality.

That Is a super helpful reference image, saved that for future use. Thank you.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The reference you have right now doesn't look optimal for a REGULAR toned person. Does help if you need to exaggerate muscle groups though.
  • Chronicle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah i figured as much. I kinda just wanna learn where the muscles go and the correct anatomy first and I figured that would be easier when the dude is huge
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's good thinking.