Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hnad painted wood - crit needed

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
capone polycounter lvl 18
Trying to practice handpainting, ignore the decoration shapes that is just some AO that will be covered later. Colour is awful because I'm using a cintiq, colour looks good on there but then on a normal monitor it's super bright and saturated.

Dj9nhOh.jpg

I'm just going around in circles, spent 5 hours on this so far and it's horrendous. There are no photo overlays. I often end up over doing it, adding too many layers and losing control. Here is how it was before I spent 2 hours on it this morning, I think it was better before? :/ Is it that I don't have enough vertical lines?

eynBFCY.jpg

Here are some examples I'm using as ref,

a8b516736c9dede8e2cfd162c7ed56c5.jpg

0ff8808239004d62bdeece53d199cff3.jpg

Replies

• DWalker
    You really should differentiate between the wood and the hardware - braces, hinges, etc. Iron would contrast better than brass on blonde wood.

I'd reduce the contrast of internal cracks on the planks.

I can't really see any wood grain; the wood just seems to flow randomly from one shade to the next, without really following the gain at all.
  • AtticusMars
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    1) You don't have a consistent light direction, you need to pick a lightsource and try to stick with it. If you have fill lights then make them a different color.

2) Space between your planks should have the widest bevel, currently your cracks and grooves have bevels just as wide as the edges between the planks. Were it not for the fact that you have such short grooves it would be hard to tell whether what you're looking at is a break in the surface or just a groove.

3) Your colors are super yellow, you references colors are very red.

4) Your grooves are very short as I mentioned above, if you look at your references the grooves in the wood are long and thin. This is probably the most important difference between your work and the reference. You also have random spirals in your wood that aren't present in the reference.

These are just my opinions, particularly if you want to get close to your reference. Personally I think what you have looks good and could just use more consistent lighting and some cleanup but I understand if that's not the style you're after. In which case you need to pay more attention to your references.
  • AtticusMars
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    Did a paintover:

capone_2014090701.gif

capone_2014090700.jpg
  • MattyWS
    Offline / Send Message
    MattyWS polycounter lvl 11
    That paintover helped more than one person..
  • Chronicle
    Offline / Send Message
    Chronicle polycounter lvl 5
    yeah that paintover with the critique was excellent
  • capone
    Offline / Send Message
    Great to come back to my thread and see all the amazing feedback. I wrote a bit too much in this post and have deleted it, want to make my process seem as clear as possible to make it easier for people to critique.
  • capone
    Offline / Send Message
    Had another stab at it. Try and just concentrate on the middle of each plank here as that's what I'm trying to get correct first, the sides. First image shows the grooves, second shows me adding shadows and third shows me adding highlights.

vgWDaRR.jpg
  • capone
    Offline / Send Message
    Something I knocked up quickly, this is before highlights/shadows etc and more about getting a good base to start with. Instead of keeping everything in separate layers I just worked the colours into each other on one single layer. I think separate layers is forcing me to think of the highlights as a separate element rather than something to work into the texture if you know what I mean? :/

IfG3Jvy.png
  • Carabiner
    Offline / Send Message
    Carabiner greentooth
    Good progress. I would focus on refining the shapes and making them more hard-edged, like in the example paintover. Also if this is a tiling texture, I'd get rid of that one really obvious unique curly but around 1/3 of the way up, from the bottom, and maybe the eye detail towards that top.
  • capone
    Offline / Send Message
    When you say shapes are you referring to the grooves? Do I still need to refine those before moving on? As for the unique details, there is no tiling so no need to worry about that :) Thanks for your comments!
  • capone
    Offline / Send Message
    Latest, think I'm just adding too many details/tones now? p.s back to my home cintiq now so colours are back to being awful

HMQ1hbp.jpg
  • capone
    Offline / Send Message
    Started again :) Colours are still messed up as working from home (cintiq has terrible colour) but I'm getting closer. Starting to at least begin to understand the process here. Problem is I could spend further hours tweaking that same plank but really I shouldn't be spending more than 30mins per plank from scratch, right?

rlElDfI.jpg
    S6brbw2.jpg
  • capone
    Offline / Send Message
  • skylebones
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    Comparing the latest image to the first one, you've made some huge progress! Keep at it!
  • AtticusMars
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    Huge improvement!

I think the grooves/highlights in the middle of the board are too contrasty though. I would try to keep the brightest highlights and darkest darks around the sides of the planks, that way the shapes are clearly defined. Right now the distribution of lights/darks is making it just a little too noisy for my tastes.

Remember that not every groove NEEDS to have a highlight, it's okay to just put a dark line there. Use your best artistic judgment to determine if it's worth it to put a highlight there.

It might also be a good time to start adding some color variation, particularly cooler darks. Just my opinion though.
    Problem is I could spend further hours tweaking that same plank but really I shouldn't be spending more than 30mins per plank from scratch, right?
    Unless you have a deadline I say take as long as you need... When you can get consistently good results it's easier to get faster just by doing it over and over again.
  • PhattyEwok
    Offline / Send Message
    PhattyEwok polycounter lvl 9
    Yeah that progress is awesome. I'm digging that paint-over. As said earlier it really is helping more than just OP. Thanks Atticus!
  • Eliteabix
    Offline / Send Message
    Eliteabix polycounter lvl 5
    Most recent progress looks stellar! leagues better. ...I actually feel proud for you =P
  • capone
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks all, especially Atticus :) I think I've made the middle grooves less dark now and the side grooves are the highest in contrast? As for the highlights I'm still struggling, possibly too many highlights still. As for dark colours, again my cintiq isn't helping but what would be a cool brown? I tried but saturated blues and greens but it didn't look right but yeah that could just be my home cintiq, will hopefully try it out during lunch on my work cintiq.

Here is the latest inc my asset that I'm applying too, might help feedback to see it in context?

CWD7XHv.jpg
  • Odow
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    I own 2 cintic and non of them have color problem ^^; maybe you change some weird setting.
  • capone
    Offline / Send Message
    Latest, the middle 2 planks on the right side are the most rendered.

6luxELv.jpg
  • Crappuccino
    Personally, I find the door on the left looking a lot better than the other one (although it almost looks as if you've added some blur to it). The one on the right seems a bit too bright to me. Tremendous improvement compared to your first post, though!
  • skodone
    Offline / Send Message
    skodone polycounter lvl 2
    somehow i like the version from 10th of september far more... the left door looks good but i rly like the bright rendering from 10th :)
  • capone
    Offline / Send Message
    Must have spent 15 hours on this now, clearly isn't working. Odd thing is I keep seeing it get blurred, not sure if that's my painting or just that I've looked at it so much now. Are ANY of these planks good? or should I start from scratch again? Top one is without AO, bottom is without. Think the bottom one is better which is worrying as I have a good AO.

SdvykD5.jpg
  • capone
    Offline / Send Message
    Another attempt at restoring the painting

4iW1qSY.jpg
  • skodone
    Offline / Send Message
    skodone polycounter lvl 2
    nice! the texture benefits from the contrast this is really looking better and better, i imagine how it has to feel to spend 15hrs on wood, but hey after this youll be like chief in wood painting for all your life :D
  • capone
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm new to PBR, wanting to explore that so am considering scrapping hand painting for photo real. Am I missing something with this way of thinking? Anyone know if I can still make this hand painted look work with PBR?

edit : Funny. Just as I was writing that I was listening to the GameDev podcast special about PBR and they started talking about how PBR came from the likes of Pixar who of course do stylistic graphics. So yeah, will continue with this style :)
  • capone
    Offline / Send Message