Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nolt polycounter lvl 13
    You busted out that low poly really quick :D
  • jackalope
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jackalope polycounter lvl 11
    If you hold down "L" in the previewer you can move the light around. Right now it's difficult to make things out because the light is from behind.
    Keep up the good work though.
  • zetheros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zetheros interpolator
    Haha, thanks guys. The maps are definitely not done at all; the diffuse has a few brush strokes +AO map for color and shadow, the specular is just an unedited copy of the diffuse (in black/white), and the normal map hasn't been edited either.

I'm going to work on them all at the same time. I should be done with this entire set tonight, and I'll be doing the low poly + maps of the agatha knight set. as well.

I'm going to Guangzhou tomorrow, so I might not have as much time as I wanted, but I will still be able to get all three sets done.

Thanks for the tip jackalope! It's my first time working in udk/chiv's version of udk, so I still need to learn some of the basic controls.
  • zetheros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zetheros interpolator
    Last update for a bit, nearly done with the helmet maps. Swaying between doing one more set, or just improving this one... I'll probably just keep improving this one though.

Capture373.png
    Capture402.png
    Capture383.png
  • zetheros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zetheros interpolator
    There's still a lot to work on. I'm not particularly happy with the brass, and the gloss map effect seems stretched around the neck... Then there's also the brass trim around the edge of the helmet that needs to be highlighted in the gloss map, and in general, it just needs to look less low-res.
  • Nolt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nolt polycounter lvl 13
    Yeah I think some darker tones will help the brass in the diffuse and some lighter ones in the spec.
  • Magicspook
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nahw! the crown of cobalt!!!
  • zetheros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zetheros interpolator
    Haha, well I might have enough time. We'll see. In the meantime, I'm learning the basics of bloodstain pattern analysis (so I can make a more realistic blood mask). I'll probably have the final preview of the set, and have it uploaded by tomorrow night.
  • zetheros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zetheros interpolator
    So I decided the best course of action was to just scribble out a few areas to define how the blood mask would progress.

I've gotta say, working with Chiv's blood mask is amazing! It works incredibly well, and even though I only spent about 10 seconds scribbling out on the different layers to test it out in the SDK, the blood definitely looks like blood. With just altering opacity and the shape, you can have all sorts of different looking blood splatters.

I'm going back into photoshop to spend a little more time on the blood mask, before putting the finishing touches on the helmet and the maul, and finally adding and finishing the francisca... and then I'm done, after making a few nice images of my set. Woot!

Capture412.png
    Capture422.png
    Capture433.png
  • GRAT0R
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good! could it be possible to get some images of the items in the alternative skin set for the Mason knight? (the gothic armor one). I think this would fit him greatly!
  • Magicspook
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I hate those armors... they look like plastic :P

with which I mean the gothic armorsets, not this one!!!
  • zetheros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zetheros interpolator
    haha, actually I have to say they did a pretty good job! It looks like they didn't add / couldn't add / didn't know how to add a gloss map / specular map or something though, which is why it looks kind of like stormtrooper armour in the previews.

That being said, it looks like they spent quite a lot of time on it, and managed to get a few subtle nuances of real plate armour into the details, but it really, really helps to experience making the stuff IRL.

Here is the francisca, I think it's the final version.

Capture442.png
  • zetheros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zetheros interpolator
    I'll finish the other two sets after the competition, before making full-body replacements, if any. I want to see if the stuff I make is/is not popular first and take some time to practice more, before committing to larger projects for the chiv store.
  • zetheros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zetheros interpolator
    I noticed a section of the normal map showing up as diffuse on the cutting edge of the francisca, so I disabled all of my maps, and the purple bit was still there. I checked my mesh and everything seems to be fine too, no missing polys... so weird. Maybe I need to restart the editor.

Capture302.png
  • Magicspook
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well, if you win, you got my money.
  • zetheros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zetheros interpolator
    I don't think I'm going to win, actually, but thanks. I can't seem to upload anything through SDK Frontend, because the internet is so slow here in China.

But anyway, here's what I got done.

preview.png
    Capture86.png
    Capture710.png
    Capture510.png
    Capture413.png
    Capture315.png
    Capture219.png

Bloodmask;

Capture96.png
    Capture105.png
    Capture119.png
  • Nolt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nolt polycounter lvl 13
    Hey, I had to try hitting the upload button multiple times. It just kept telling me that Steam was working on it but just kept saying that. After about 10 minutes it finally uploaded.
  • zetheros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zetheros interpolator
    I tried that, but it doesn't mean I can't mash that button as if I were playing d2! :poly142:
  • Imperium101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha, "Feels like expensive jewelry." Sounds like I convinced you of the advantages of gold Zetheros ;)
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I am glad you got it finished ! Learning about real-life armor making in your threads was a pleasure.

This contest turned out to be quite something !
  • zetheros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zetheros interpolator
    @TheMightyKnight: Yeah xD But what really convinced me was actually seeing other people's entries at the last moment; I couldn't see a lot of the WIP images other people were posting on this forum since some of the image hosts that they used are blocked in China. But when people started uploading their final submission images, I could finally see them, and figured that my set looked pretty awful. So I was scrambling to make my entry better in the last day. God, that was harrowing.

@pior: yeah! Learning so much in such a short amount of time was an amazing experience. If anyone would like to learn more about medieval armour, I highly recommend visiting the Armour Archive at: http://forums.armourarchive.org/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=1
  • Imperium101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also, zetheros, you should have pics of your set in actual levels for your workshop page !
  • zetheros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zetheros interpolator
    I don't know how to import entire levels into the sdk x_x

So I'm making my own, personal little virtual armouring room, since I'm going to make more sets anyway, just for fun and for practice (unless they want to import my stuff I make into the game).

I'll post pics in a few hours, I'm still getting it set up. There's not enough hammers, and the one they have is kind of lumpy and would leave marks on my armour, so I might have to forge my own. I really like their default anvil though, so I'll keep that, but I also really, really need some armouring stakes.
  • zetheros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zetheros interpolator
    Here's what I'm talking about... mind the freaking giant mushrooms, I haven't swept up this place yet, and I think this room used to belong to Malric's evil wizard advisor, who he promptly executed, since competing against Malric's evilness is kind of like...treason. So, yeah.

Anyway, it's starting to look a lot like TES Oblivion.

http://grooveshark.com/s/Fortress+Kroth/2F1AlA?src=5

Capture.jpg
    Capture1.jpg
  • Imperium101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice ! But I would also take pics in actual levels ! Here is how you can do it :

Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\chivalrymedievalwarfare\UDKGame\CookedPC\AOC\Levels

And choose the level file finishing with p (most data).
  • zetheros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zetheros interpolator
    Thanks TheMightyKnight! I'll try that out tomorrow... I've set up my workshop well enough to take screenshots. Here are the new, final pics.

Capture.jpg
    Capture2.jpg
    Capture1.jpg
    Capture3.jpg
    Capture6.jpg
    Capture1.jpg
    Capture7.jpgCapture4.jpg
    Capture5.jpgCapture8.jpg
  • Noth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noth polycounter lvl 14
    Looks good, you're really getting the most out of those maps res wise! I think it fits the era nicely.