Home Technical Talk

Normal Map baking issue

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Starkist polycounter lvl 9
Hi there,

I'm trying to bake a simple normal map from high-poly.

I'm getting some wierd issue I can't resolve around the edges, anyone knows why?

The edges aren't smooth.

wnjzndjhzyxm.jpg
ymlh1jtfmogq.jpg

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    It's very hard to tell what's going on in your screenshot there, but my guess is you need a single Smoothing Group on your low poly mesh over those sections if the UVs are connected.

If there is a smoothing group split without a UV split then that will always look bad in a normal map, as the normal map would have to represent two different normals with a single pixel at the point where the smoothing seam is located, which is not possible.
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScottHoneycutt polycounter lvl 14
    MoP wrote: »
    It's very hard to tell what's going on in your screenshot there...

+1
  • Starkist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Starkist polycounter lvl 9
    It's very hard to tell what's going on in your screenshot there, but my guess is you need a single Smoothing Group on your low poly mesh over those sections if the UVs are connected.

If there is a smoothing group split without a UV split then that will always look bad in a normal map, as the normal map would have to represent two different normals with a single pixel at the point where the smoothing seam is located, which is not possible.

Yes, you are right, I dug up some articles and threads on this, and finally found out this was the issue. Sorry for asking this after it was asked some billion times before :)

Thanks.