Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

First time with a tablet looking to improve

zephy
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
zephy polycounter lvl 9
So i finally bought myself a wacom intous pro and tried out making a concept art for a weapon to try and get used to it so here is my attempt i would love feedback and help on what i should do in terms of improving , still deciding on how i want to add the handle tho XD

Replies

• skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    Hey Zephy! Congrats on purchasing a tablet. They are sooooo much nicer to use than a mouse. Just keep on painting, you'll improve with each one.
  • Sali
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just keep working and keep in mind the fundamentals - the perspective, value, shadows and light, materials etc. And also pay attention to how things connect to each other in real life - take a look at the real knife, for example.
  • Stinkhorse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinkhorse polycounter lvl 12
    Also instead of leaping from your initial sketch and straight into painting, get familiar with the feel of the tool. Try drawing over your sketch on a new layer and using the tablet's pressure sensitivity to adjust your line weights (the thickness/thinness of the lines) as you draw. As a broad rule that can be broken with experience:

-Lines become thicker on the underside of an object or curve
    -Lines become thinner as they near the top of an object
    -Try and let your lines become thinner the closer they are to a point
    -when lines don't connect at the tip of something sharp it indicates a very fine point
    -Lines become thin to the point of nonexistence where a light reflects off the object (very small gap)
    -Heavier line weights on one part of an object, compared to others, help draw the eye to that part of the image over others

Good luck and happy drawing!
  • zephy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zephy polycounter lvl 9
    These are some really great tips , Thanks so much for the help :D