Home Contests & Challenges Archives Arms & Armor, Chivalry: Medieval Workshop

[Chivalry] - Mason Man At Arms - Brutal Set

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
Bacn polycounter lvl 13
Time to throw my hat into the ring! Basic idea for the set is it was made by some one who valued intimidation over effectiveness, going so far as to crudely modify a sword(or use an old and worn one) to make it more of a brutal saw or axe.

Here's my ref sheet and a few concepts to start out! Going to start the modeling proper soon!

RF1NMox.jpg
yDJEDAd.jpg

Replies

• Bacn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bacn polycounter lvl 13
    Put together the low-poly for the weapon first. Falchion model for chivalry is on top, which my model is somewhat based off. I hope it's not too similar.

StfEkrj.jpg
  • Nolt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nolt polycounter lvl 13
    Nice block out. I think you might want to make that giant dent in the blade a little shallower. With how big that is, a single blow of the sword would shatter it. But that's up to you. Other than that, I like kind of the rugged bandit type of look for it.
  • Bacn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bacn polycounter lvl 13
    9thKnight wrote: »
    Nice block out. I think you might want to make that giant dent in the blade a little shallower. With how big that is, a single blow of the sword would shatter it. But that's up to you. Other than that, I like kind of the rugged bandit type of look for it.

Thanks! It did look a bit on the flimsy side, so I decided to tone things down a little on the sword.

I'm struggling to find a balance between making the sword look worn to the point it's useless and not making it look structurally unstable. Taking things slow and frequently referencing the default scimitar model for the game. The trim on the cross guard I probably should have added to the texture directly instead of sculpting it. I'm worried about the general readability of the model so I might exaggerate the forms more.

oaqQtJr.jpg
    Rgb8l0z.jpg

Helmet is started, but nothing too interesting yet.

SVudjmt.png
  • Nolt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nolt polycounter lvl 13
    I think you can do a lot through the textures to make it look old and worn. Have a lot of wear, darkened from dirt, maybe some rust. Nice details on the guard.
  • Bacn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bacn polycounter lvl 13
    I think you can do a lot through the textures to make it look old and worn. Have a lot of wear, darkened from dirt, maybe some rust. Nice details on the guard.

Indeed. I'll have to see how far I can push the model with the textures once I get to that point.

Sword sculpt feels close to done.

x9OMiV8.png

Helmet on the other hand isn't coming along well. I'm going to have to play around with it some more, maybe find a new material or method of construction that has more detail and looks more interesting.

lnTKpqH.png
  • Nolt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nolt polycounter lvl 13
    Hm.. for the helmet, I might set it further from the face. Fees like it is just sucked right to the head so I am not sure if there would be room for the user to even move his mouth. That might help you a little bit.
  • Bacn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bacn polycounter lvl 13
    I'm doing my best to learn how to bake better normal maps but I've come across two problems I can't figure out.
    • The first issue is Xnormal doesn't seem to be rendering anything below my low-poly at one of the gashes in the sword(A). However there are other areas under the low-poly that baked just fine(B/C) even right next to the gash. The only thing I can think would cause this issue is my cage blocking part of the mesh, but the cage is placed where it's supposed to be.
    • The even bigger issue is that almost all of my islands have this weird pattern baked into the edge(D). Again I don't know what's causing this, but my hunch is it might have something to do with smoothing groups.

MdvzF3d.png
  • Nolt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nolt polycounter lvl 13
    Looks like a smoothing issue with the odd pattern you're getting. Did you check your cage over the high poly to make sure the cage is over it?
  • Bacn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bacn polycounter lvl 13
    Looks like a smoothing issue with the odd pattern you're getting. Did you check your cage over the high poly to make sure the cage is over it?

Checked it, but I was getting the problem even when baking without a cage. After a bit of toying with it, I think the problem is small imperfections in the bake being stretched out when the edges are stretched out for the buffer. I'm guessing if I kept things more smooth during the sculpt the effect wouldn't have been as bad, but I'm still not entirely sure where the problem came from.

xHlUXxm.png

Either way I think I have the normal map fixed enough to work with it. Edges aren't as bad as they were.

IAIENcT.png

Also new idea for the helmet I forgot to post earlier. I'm thinking about putting a metal mesh over the eyes to make the face feel more detached, but I'm not sure yet.

M1fsMnE.png
  • Safemilk(Daniel)
    This is definitely the most intimidating set. I like the changes you did to the helmet, it still retains that Hannibal thing going on, but it brings in more of the armored feel too. The sword looks super mean, keep it up!