polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
smessier polycounter lvl 9
djinn_beautyshot.jpg
djinn_front.jpg
djinn_side2.jpg
djinn_back.jpg
djinn_front_wire.jpg

Hey, been working on this guy for the past couple of days as a periodic break from work.

He originally was just a quick anatomy study turned generic monster, which you can see here.

I mainly wanted to try out skin texturing with the Quixel Suite, and practice tweaking Marmoset 2's skin shader. After the gross initial result, I realized I wanted to do something more interesting with this beastie, so I decided he looked kind of like a Djinn, or a genie. So I rolled with that.

I wanted to keep to a more traditional representation to what we americans understand as genies, but blend it with the middle eastern folklore of Djinn, which are much more interesting creatures. While I didn't plan on taking a smoky, cindering vibe to this dude, I realized it worked well both visually and in keeping with the source material, so I went with it.

I'd like to bring him into UE4 and build a scene and some cool particle effects around him for a nice presentation, but that'll have to wait for now.

He's split into two UV spaces (Body and attachments, and cloth elements), at 4096x rez Normal, Specular, Gloss, Albedo, and Emissive maps. He's 45K+ and not how I would optimize for games, but he's close enough. Kind of.

You can check out the design page at www.smessierobjects.com/folio/djinn

Please let me know what you think.

Replies