Home Dota 2

Dota 2 Shaders for Unity - Game Shaders 1

fire67
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
fire67 polycounter lvl 8
big_precise_forum-jpg.109889

Hello everyone !

I've spent the last months doing a shader for Unity that is based on the Dota 2 shading and here is the result on the Unity forum : Game Shaders 1 - Dota 2

You can take a look at the demo I've done using Dota 2 fantastic art, and of course other demos made in collaboration with some great artists.

The aim is to provide to Unity users the possibility to create art and game looking just like Dota 2. They will also be able to follow the workflow provided in the Dota 2 Workshop to create their assets and thus boost their creativity and productivity.

I think that it's also a good solution for Dota 2 modders that would like to share their work, they could use Unity and the shaders I've developed and make some demos of their art.

Tell me what you think !

If you want to know more about this product feel free to drop me a line: Contact

Have fun with this shader ! :)
Thank you.

Replies

• Gh33
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Excellent, I am SO excited! :D
  • fire67
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fire67 polycounter lvl 8
    Thank you ! I am thinking of an automatic tool that helps you publish your art to show to every want you are creating, your ideas, etc...

The aim is to only to drop your art on Unity (no need for Pro) and then publish it to your Dropbox or whatever.

But for that, I would like to know your needs.
    Don't hesitate to spread the word and come here to discuss about it. This project depends on the number of interested people. :)
  • Snowstorm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowstorm polycounter lvl 5
    Amazing stuff! I recall wishing that Unity had some of Dota 2's shaders available, the workshop stuff just made it so much easier to create good looking game models. Hope this project really takes off.

It's a little bit hard to tell how much work the shader is doing versus how much of it is purely because of Valve's textures in the Dota Heroes demo though. Perhaps a default Unity shader could be included for comparison. Also, the Dota heroes demo has really loud music that I don't see a way of turning down, and the arrows which i guess are meant to switch the hero on display don't always seem to work.

Otherwise, great work!
  • fire67
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fire67 polycounter lvl 8
    Snowstorm wrote: »
    Amazing stuff! I recall wishing that Unity had some of Dota 2's shaders available, the workshop stuff just made it so much easier to create good looking game models. Hope this project really takes off.
    It's a little bit hard to tell how much work the shader is doing versus how much of it is purely because of Valve's textures in the Dota Heroes demo though. Perhaps a default Unity shader could be included for comparison. Also, the Dota heroes demo has really loud music that I don't see a way of turning down, and the arrows which i guess are meant to switch the hero on display don't always seem to work.
    Otherwise, great work!

Thank you for your kind words. :)
    I would like to say that all your comments are relevant. That's why I made some changes in the demo.

• I added a volume slider to let you control the volume if it's too loud.
    • I added a comparison button for all the Heroes to let you compare between the Dota 2 shader and the default Unity shaders. As you said the aim is to show the potential of the shaders and this should not be affected by the high quality level of textures.
    • Concerning the arrows, as the demo is very huge, I added a streaming system.
    Streaming system : When you load the demo, the first hero is loaded. While you are looking at him the others are loading. If you click on the next or previous button and the following hero is not totally loaded, you'll see a grey loading bar at the top of the screen. When this bar is loaded, it switches to the following hero. Tell me if you have any issue.

Now let me explain what I want to add to this package.

When you want to show what you've made for Dota 2, you basically post screenshots or gifs for example.
    I want to offer you the possibility to show your 3D art to everyone dynamically in full 3D as it will be in the game. What you'll need is just Unity Free and the Game Shaders 1 : Dota 2 package.

For that here are the tools you'll be able to use :
    • Simple system to merge your art with Dota 2 Art
    • Preconfigured materials
    • Preconfigured scene set-up
    • Simple publication process

But to build this, I need you. I need your help to give me your comments and ideas to make a very simple and efficient process.
    Of course, I also want to know if such system is relevant and useful for you and if you are interested.

Thank you very much.