Home Technical Talk

Rotation Transform Axis Constraint?

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Axi5 interpolator
Hello again,

I'm just curious if there's a way to achieve this:

848a18340fca00a99537ef2451463974.png

Obviously normal rotation would move those vertices up and to the left rather than just straight up. I tried an axis constraint but that only affects the transform gizmo rather than the geometry.

This would be helpful for any planar surfaces that need to be angled later on.

edit: forgot to mention, I'm in 3ds max. Sorry JohnnyRaptor.

Replies

• FelixL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FelixL polycounter lvl 4
    Maybe you should post more pics of what you hope to achieve.
    I don't see how this can be done right now, except if the entire object is a multi-segment box with the segment lines running vertically, then you could rotate these vertices with edge constraint on.
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    i had some spare time so i quickly set it up,

is it something like this you want?

www.pedramk.com/files/rotate_translate.mb

edit, rotate the locators, and look in the outliner for how its set up
  • Axi5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axi5 interpolator
    FelixL wrote: »
    Maybe you should post more pics of what you hope to achieve.
    I don't see how this can be done right now, except if the entire object is a multi-segment box with the segment lines running vertically, then you could rotate these vertices with edge constraint on.

I don't think my screenshot could be any clearer to be honest, it was just curiosity and doesn't apply directly to any of my models right now.

You seem to get the idea though, but it's not part of a box it's just a flat planar set of faces. The idea is to create an angle from the plane without changing it's length, the vertices only have to move up to create a flat plane.
    i had some spare time so i quickly set it up,

is it something like this you want?

www.pedramk.com/files/rotate_translate.mb

edit, rotate the locators, and look in the outliner for how its set up

I'll fiddle with it now, judging by the name of it I think this is exactly what I'm after :) will edit with results.

edit: oops, mb's are maya files and I'm in max I should have mentioned. My bad :(
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aw damn

hmm, well, you basically need to constrain the vertices. In maya you have something called cluster that you can add to a selection of vertices, and then pulling this cluster handle around, moves the vertices. Look for the equivalent in max.
  • Axi5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axi5 interpolator
    aw damn

hmm, well, you basically need to constrain the vertices. In maya you have something called cluster that you can add to a selection of vertices, and then pulling this cluster handle around, moves the vertices. Look for the equivalent in max.

I looked it up, is it essentially soft select? It would work lovely if Max's soft select falloff was a little more controllable.
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    actually, why dont you just create a bone for each vertex you want to control and skin the vertex to that joint, and that should give you the same behaviour.
  • Axi5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axi5 interpolator
    actually, why dont you just create a bone for each vertex you want to control and skin the vertex to that joint, and that should give you the same behaviour.

I could do, but I'm not much of an animator, at that point I'd rather fix it all manually, especially if it has some complex geometry on it.

I assume there is an easy way to do this somewhere in Max, but if not it's just going to have to be done by eye :D

Edit:

Yeah soft selection seems to work fine after playing with the parameters it's just a pain to get it perform a linear curve rather than a mirror S:

98d75843a27e461c1ecc3b0f3a20bc25.png

Solved for now I guess (:

Edit edit:
    I'm dumb, a simple 2x2x2 ffd modifier gets the job done easy.