Home Technical Talk

3d Coat to Zbrush import problem

Hey, guys. Basically, I fixed my low poly mesh in 3d coat (relaxed and such) and trying to import it back to Zbrush. But the problem is that now it doesn't want to import it back properly if my mesh has subdivisions. I just want my new modified mesh to replace an old one and automatically project back details. It works exactly as I want if I export my lowpoly mesh to 3ds max, relax and such it there and import back. No problem whatsoever. But 3d coat is being a bastard about it. 3d coat imports it back in proper scale only if my mesh have no subdivisions, which isn't something I want. And as such it loses all my precious subdivs during import, not to mention stupid scaling. Anybody know what's up with that and how I can fix it?

Edit: Looks like the problem lies in the symmetry itself. Even if I cut my mesh in half in Max and make it symmetrical again and import it into zbrush, It asks me to either transfer my highpoly details (which I don't want to do) or it scales it back again. I wonder if there's no way around that. Looks like zbrush just dislikes any modifications to a mesh besides moving vertices.

Here's a video showing the problem:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lal2oF28ngA"]Dwm 2014 08 20 17 18 02 33 - YouTube[/ame]

Thanks!

Replies

• cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Looks like zbrush just dislikes any modifications to a mesh besides moving vertices.
    If you do anything to change the vertex order of a model outside of zbrush, then zbrush has no way of knowing it's the same mesh (because at that point, it isn't). External modifications should just be limited to changing UVs or moving vertices, not adding and removing them.