Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

G3 Gun Model

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Ehsan Gamer polycounter lvl 6
Hi.

I am modeling a G3 gun for an educational program that will be done in Unity 3D.

I have started to High Poly so Here are some early renders from the gun :

Because it's going to be used for educational purpose I will model inner parts too.

Any suggestions and crits will be more than welcome.

Replies

• ghaztehschmexeh
    Did you start with a blockout? If not you really should. Also I don't know what this gun looks like but the top indent part looks iffy to me.
  • Boozebeard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boozebeard polycounter lvl 11
    Did you start with a blockout? If not you really should. Also I don't know what this gun looks like but the top indent part looks iffy to me.

I dunno, if he's working from a blueprint or some other accurate reference he can probably skip block out.
  • Ehsan Gamer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have lots of reference photos. Also I have the exact size of each part. here some photos. btw I made some edit to the top part

XyboNoQ.jpg

CQbKss5.jpg

SW2LVMs.jpg
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    Boozebeard wrote: »
    I dunno, if he's working from a blueprint or some other accurate reference he can probably skip block out.

It's not often you have a full set of orthographic blueprints. And even then I personally would still block out because 2D images aren't the same as a 3D model. You need a blockout to make sure you've understood how the shapes interact.
  • mazerius1st
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mazerius1st polycounter lvl 5
    He can skip the blockout I think since he has access to the Gun and can see how each part fits with the others. I was using a G3 gun in the army and from what he has posted so far he is pretty much spot on.
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    I wasn't in the army but I can see that the bolts holes he has modelled aren't the right size and the top groove is the wrong shape. It would be easier to change if it were just a blockout. So I stand by my point.

He also has a bunch of pinching, but that is beside my point.
  • Ehsan Gamer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for suggestions. I will take alook at the part you mentioned and also use blockouts.

I have lots of references but blocks will help for sure . I'm trying to model as similar as possible I can.
  • Un_dead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Un_dead polycounter lvl 11
    The G3 I used in the army, I think it's actually a HK-91, and is the EBO model. It has a square handguard, and it's secured with a pin on the front, below the front sight. the bipod i think is also slightly different from an ACTUAL G3, though don't quote me on that. As far as innards are concerned, they're exactly the same, both capable of fully automatic fire.
  • juniez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    juniez polycounter lvl 10
    He can skip the blockout I think since he has access to the Gun and can see how each part fits with the others. I was using a G3 gun in the army and from what he has posted so far he is pretty much spot on.

unless you've got photographic memory, personal experience doesn't make for very good reference