Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sunn's Progress and Guidance Begging Thread

Sunn
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Sunn polycounter lvl 4
Hi guys, titles says it all :P

Here is the first one. What could i improve? I need some real critical eyes and motivation please, tear me apart.

djTKlpx.jpg

Replies

• Drav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drav polycounter lvl 9
    2 things that i would suggest are lighting and the characters pose.
  • AlexKola
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexKola polycounter lvl 9
    If you're having trouble coming up with an accurate pose from your head, find or shoot some reference. The silhouette of the character looks as if no study was put into it.

The shadow cast from the character is just a blob and doesn't match the form that is there.

The side of the Rock should not be as illuminated as it is.

What you need to do is break this image down into parts and study each individually from reference.

So find an image of a moon in the sky, shouldn't be too hard. Capture the essence of your source material in your work.

Find a photo of the moon reflecting on the water, there a billions of these kinds of images on the internet. Study it, apply it to this image.

Unless that rock is a steep hill, the perspective doesn't match the horizon you've drawn at all. Draw your vanishing points. If you don't know what a vanishing point is, youtube 1 point perspective.

Really study a rock from the Arctic or where ever this is. In life, you'll never find a perfectly shaped rock like this that has 8 small pebbles on it.

Go through and Watch Shaddy Safadi's youtube video series. They are amazing, entertaining and apply directly to this image.
  • sooshicat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In my opinion the composition is a little off too. Check this out: http://digital-photography-school.com/rule-of-thirds/
  • Sunn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sunn polycounter lvl 4
    Thanks guys, I will work on all your suggestions, I didn't see the comments until just now. I did a study tonight, its not finished. I will update it later, but this is what I've been working on. I really appreciate the advice. Poses are a weak point for sure, lighting and shading and hell pretty much everything needs work :P

WEKKGfp.jpg
  • Sunn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sunn polycounter lvl 4
    AlexKola Thats a lot of great points and insight thank you!

Thanks for the link sooshicat! I will check it out.
  • gustavotorqueto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gustavotorqueto polycounter lvl 5
    Give more attention to anatomy and proportions, looks streched. Try to slipt the body parts to study, draw a lot of hands, heads, torso, will help you on your journey =)
  • Sunn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sunn polycounter lvl 4
    Thanks Gustavo! I love your work in your portfolio btw :)