Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Pipboy 4K and Terminal [Fallout]

So I finished the high poly and bake aaaages ago. The texture has gone through a couple of iterations. I'm doing my third try at it at the moment (along with a bunch of other things, I've told myself no subd work until texturing done) so I thought I would post it here and maybe get some input on the texturing.

This began as a remake of the Pipboy for Fallout:NV, but I stopped playing it and moved onto a PBR workflow for it anyway. The Terminal I made because I wanted to see if I could use the materials I make for the Pipboy on it.

b73dcd515e.jpg
6cabad91b3.jpg
022bad93f6.jpg
ae1ea1be62.jpg

And here is the bake. It sits at 17K polygons. I have a fair few chamfered edges and each bolt is modelled. If you haven't played fallout, this thing actually fills your screen when you use it, so I feel my use of polygons is justified.

2605e6234e.jpg
d66fc7f0f3.jpg
b75f066669.jpg
bf009e7af1.jpg

So yeah, I'll update when I have some texturing done. I'm happy to hear crits on the HP/bake but I doubt I'll make any small changes at this point :)

And the Terminal:

2a65888b46.jpg
da652e378f.jpg
e36553bc7d.jpg

Replies

• Kimono
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kimono polycounter lvl 10
    Looking forward to textures!
  • Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    Fallout 4 confirmed ;)

Great job so far!

I always wondered, for stuff like the keyboard did you make separate hard-edged models of them/ie actual geometry and then bake it into the low-poly? I'm just curious as to how far in depth normal maps can work without starting to look like garabage/illusion broken. I usually treat normals as small surface elements/bolts/indents and wondered just how far it can go.

It looks great in the textured lit version if that's indeed normals and not geometry!
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    Thanks! The coloured terminal is the high poly and those are indeed individually modelled keys. They were then baked down to the flat surface of the low poly. Normal maps can be used to do a lot of cool stuff.
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    Made a start on the textures. I was a little stuck to begin with, so I had a chat with millenia. He suggested that the original had a military green feel to it. This made me think of an ammo tin I have here, which has some interesting changes in paint layers exposed. I used this as my starting point. I also wanted to give it a bit of a hand-painted (in a real world sense) look. I can imagine it being passed down from father to son, and son one day deciding it could do with a coat of paint. Basically I'm trying to tell a story with the texture.

What do you guys think of the direction so far?

2a770ead8e.jpg
    a916bbaa96.jpg
  • Loutrattitude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Loutrattitude polycounter lvl 6
    Greentooth Vault Boy is scary, I love it !
  • Kithaetria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Love the texture done so far. The scratches and wear and tear look believable. I think some color variation would help though, other than the greens presented. For example, here's a worn army tin which shows some silver where the color is chipped or scratched away, and rust as well. Great stuff you have!

w_1358344733_5000_4000_1358344733.jpg
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    Thanks! And yes, I did plan to add some scratches to the metal, so far I've just been concentrating on getting a nice starting point with the paint scratching, while bringing over some stuff from my original attempt (such as the screen albedo - which I may rework anyway). I'm not really feeling rust though, and I think another coloured paint layer would just end up making it a bit too noisy.