Home General Discussion

Creativerse - Early Access

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
monster polycounter
creativerseLogo.png

At Playful Corp we just released our new game on Steam early access. It's in the sandbox / block building genre. It's still in devleopment, but it's pretty bug free. We are looking for feedback on everything from gameplay to art. I did animation and technical art on the project.

Steam Page:http://store.steampowered.com/app/280790

What sets Creativerse apart from other voxel sandbox games?

The game is in a very early stage right now, so right now it's just got the basics of adventuring, crafting, and building. The key is what it is going to become over the next several months. We’ve got a lot planned that will take it way beyond the traditional sandbox voxel game, and we’re looking to roll those updates out to an active base of players who can help us fine tune things with their valuable feedback. In reality, we are just huge voxel game fanboys/girls and we want to try and create the ultimate version of this kind of game.

That said, there are several ways it differentiates itself right now...

Easy Multiplayer
  • Creativerse lets you very easily connect and play with your friends on
  • Whatever world you want, no set up required.
  • Immediately see which of your steam friends are online, and what world they're in.
  • Join one of our Playful public worlds and partake in the fun

RPG-like crafting system
  • Simple interface with recipe based crafting. No more referring to a wiki to find a recipe.
  • Gradual unlocking — "leveling up" — of your crafting ability (unlocking high-end recipes, etc.)
  • Rare dropped recipes that allow you to specialize in unique crafting abilities that your friends don't have.

Unique environments
  • Diverse surface biomes with unique creatures and elements
  • Layered cave structure with unique environmental qualities, dangerous enemies, and rare treasures. Every layer deeper into the world is a new challenge.

Unique combat experiences
  • Every mob has a unique special ability like warmworm's lava fountain or pisgy's catapult.

Beautiful living worlds
  • High quality textures, lighting, and animations create a rich, vibrant world.

Constant updates & evolving gameplay
  • We have a lot of new content and features coming over the next several months.
  • Our goal is to push the boundaries of what people expect out of a sandbox game with a ton of new features; the game right now is just a foundation for something much bigger.
  • We’re looking to have the community help shape the game with their valuable feedback!

Replies

• JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    You should post up a vid Juan :) I just double checked and it seems like it has some different features compared to Minecraft, but just from the screenshots alone it is hard to tell.
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    Thanks for the suggestion! I added a video from the Steam page here.
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    Looks great, love the "Creativerse" logo as well. Only thing that bugged me was that the player characters seemed way out of place art style wise.
  • stickadtroja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stickadtroja polycounter lvl 11
    looks really nice, great textures!
    but i dont see any big differences from minecraft, is there any features that pushes it further?
    the video makes me think it would have more rpg elements than minecraft, but the steam page fails to mention any.
  • Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    I dunno dude, what makes this different from all the other Minecraft clones? Aside from hands that aren't square.

Just sayin.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    Yeah, I was kinda disappointed when I loaded up the video and saw just how minecraft-esque it looks.
    Not to be a douche I hope, but I think if you need to put so much emphasis on what things make it not a clone, you've got a fundamental problem in the concept.
    It needs to be able to stand on its own better than that.
    If someone just popping into the video without prior discussion is certain to immediately think "Oh, Minecraft with different arms..." Then that is a real issue.
    No matter how distinct the mechanics may be, that isn't the impression you want people to get.
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    I have terraria, starbound and minecraft

what could possibly make me want this game?
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Harsh but valid questions, I suppose.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Good points above but I still like the look of it, will likely be picking it up!
  • Visum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Visum polycounter lvl 7
    I really like the lightning on this.
    Never played minecraft but might give this a try.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    There's a Let's Play that popped up in the related videos after the trailer. Gives a pretty good idea of what it's all about
    [ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkWPY6lAF9g[/ame]
    I'm inclined to think you do need a smidgen more to differentiate yourselves from Minecraft. Just making some of the more familiar tiles like the grass topped blocks more distinctly different would help.

You've got some nice touches but I think to pull some punters away from the original game and mitigate some of the flack you'll inevitably get from the perpetually grumpy Steam denizens, you need to do something fairly significant to be more than Minecraft with some more stuff and microtransactions.
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Could be something as simple (or maybe not so simple) as diagonal blocks (like ramps). Could make it look more like legos than minecraft that way. Especially if the world were able to generate those blocks into the landscape.

But again, maybe that's not so simple.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Makkon wrote: »
    Could be something as simple (or maybe not so simple) as diagonal blocks (like ramps). Could make it look more like legos than minecraft that way. Especially if the world were able to generate those blocks into the landscape.

But again, maybe that's not so simple.

Yes!!

Lack of such things in minecraft is entirely for aesthetic reasons, blocks can even be unique meshes these days.

I think Creativerse with its more high-end look could really make good use of more blocks that weren't just a block, tufts of grass hanging off the ledge of the top dirt to grass block for example?
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    Thanks for the feedback guys! We're certainly aware of the need to differentiate from other sandbox games, including Minecraft.

We first tackled making multiplayer and crafting dead simple. No IP addresses, no running your own server, just make a world and invite your friends. For crafting, no wiki needed, everything has a description and location where to collect. We're already seeing players reach that 50 hour mark, so I think we got that part worked out very well. Instead of trying to guess what direction to take the game we decided to do Early Release to let the community help decide the features they really want.

Some things mentioned by Makkon and eld, like diagonal blocks are in the game already. They just aren't procedural blocks. They are manually placed for roofs and stairs.

We've got a couple of killer features that aren't live yet. One involves gameplay and sharing with friends, the other involves showcasing your creations.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    Any plans to have diagonal blocks be placed procedurally later? Having naturally smooth terrain alone would go a hell of a long way toward making it look distinct from Minecraft.
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    would it be possible to round off the edges of the boxes that arent touching edges of another box, so you get a chamfered soft edge look on the boxes, just swapping them in and out based on the logical rules of what its connected to.

could make things look a lot more neater and interesting, like soft corners on stone buildings, also like others have said other shapes would be interesting.
  • linkov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    linkov polycounter lvl 10
    Never played MineCraft or anything similar, so decided to try this game. Not sure if its a bug or feature, but after playing for a while I was able to get to EndOfTheWorld. What I didn't realised is that as soon as I step on it, my ability to jump was removed :( Silly me, I used teleport but to my old location, which is 2 game days of walking in one direction from my current base. Needless to say, I was never able to find it again. Its not really big deal, I've had enough stuff with me, including 5 lumite power cell to build up everything again, but thats not interesting. I've had some 'art' project started and I don't want to start it from scratch.

I guess what I'm saying is that navigation kinda sucks. Beacons light rays dissapear in fog quite quickly and having only general direction like north, west etc is not enough.