Home General Discussion

[Game} Space Dogs - Starfox inspired jam

uk_resistant
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
uk_resistant polycounter lvl 17
62326.jpg

Hi Folks,

So my and my buddy @Tanuki_suit, entered the game jolt game jam "gbjam3" last week.

It was a 10 day challenge to create a gameboy flavoured game with the limitations that it must be 4 colours and must be 160x144 pixels.

We decided to realise the idea of a starfox type game and below is some screens and gifs from it.

fQwfjXi.gif

62669.jpg
62325.jpg

VwU7DFu.png

You can play the game here:

http://gamejolt.com/games/arcade/space-dogs-gbjam3/31946/

Also, if you like the game, do please vote for it!

We are looking into developing this further, possibly eventually ending up on mobile device, so any feedback will be listened to and appreciated.

Cheers

Replies

• Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    Looks interesting. Something stands out to me as really strange though; it's supposed to look like a gameboy game, but gameboy wasn't 3D.
    It might be a good idea to add some shaders to give it more of a 2D look, in order to pass it off as functioning more like Pole Position and such did.
    I think I can see some of that already, but not as much as there should be. The way the ground looks in particular was actually very clever and gives that effect well.
    If it matters, it's also much too green. Gameboy had a more washed out, gray/green tone.
  • uk_resistant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    uk_resistant polycounter lvl 17
    You raise some good points, but I think the competition was about the spirit of the game boy rather then being totally exact.

That said, we are looking into some post processing stuff to make it look more 2d and I have some ideas for shader stuff too.

As for the green, gameboy greeness actually varies. Looking at reference of gameboy palettes online some tend to be more grey, some tend to be more green.

I think i might tone it down all the same though.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Haha that turned out awesome! Congrats on completing it, looks very fun!