Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Higuy polycounter lvl 9
    Is that Daryl from the Walking Dead?
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    hmmm, as a huge Silent Hill fan as well as a long time Metal Gear hater I'm not sure how I feel. Too bad Akira Yamaoka left Konami, maybe they could contract him to do the music?
  • Neoekamp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neoekamp polycounter lvl 5
    This was such a crazy reveal.

For those who missed out, an "interactive teaser" named "P.T." shows up on PSN, a demo for a first-person horror game (I twitched it, it creeped the shit outta me from what I saw). At the end it's revealed what it is with the credits and cutscene.

I returned home a couple hours later and see this news about the new Silent Hill. Friggin' nuts marketing!
  • Equanim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Equanim polycounter lvl 11
    I would love to know if Kojima pitched a continuation of the dog ending from Silent Hill 2, so they brought Del Toro on to keep him in check.
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    That voice ruined the video for me but I'm excited for a new SH game. SH3 was the last truly amazing game in the franchise in my opinion, everything released after that seemed "decent at best" but hopefully the new game can provide an enjoyable experience. My main complaint with the newer games is that they seemed to focus more on action oriented combat rather than actual psychological horror which is what made the older SH games so great.
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OBlastradiusO polycounter lvl 11
    I want these people back. Masahiro Ito, Hiroyuki Owaku, Takayoshi Sato, and Akira Yamaoka. Even if two of these guys come back I'll be satisfied. Masahiro Ito is a must though.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm excited and really curious to see what Del Toro brings to the table, especially working with Kojima.
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    You guys should definitely watch gameplay of P.T. One of the guys I usually watch was just streaming it. I had to hold my hand up over the monitor to block out most of it. :\ 2 scarwey
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    man this is on the fox engine right? looks amazing.
  • Kurt Russell Fan Club
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kurt Russell Fan Club polycounter lvl 9
    I can't watch the gameplay trailer because I'm dying to play it myself when I get home.

I can't wait for this, what a great idea. From the quick trailer looks like they're showing solid respect to the Silent Hill 4 The Room house gameplay, which I loved
  • joarwho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joarwho polycounter lvl 5
    Exciting!! I really like the new approach. We will never get a new Silent Hill installment made by the original Team Silent, so we might as well get a good spin off.
    hmmm, as a huge Silent Hill fan as well as a long time Metal Gear hater I'm not sure how I feel. Too bad Akira Yamaoka left Konami, maybe they could contract him to do the music?

I read somewhere that Yamaoka actually will make the music for this game. Not sure if true though.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Higuy wrote: »
    Is that Daryl from the Walking Dead?

No, its Adam Sandler
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Ok, less excited than when someone told me it was Del Toro making a Silent Hill film, but this does at least sound suitably intriguing.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was more exited when I read the credits in the following fashion:

'Hideo Kojima
    Guillermo Del Torro
    Norman Reedus
    in
    Silent Hills'

Kojima is already in the Metal Gear demo game and I'd love to run around as Del Torro.

Also, the way the title was presented, I read it as 'Silent Hill S' for whatever reason.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    I AM READDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    You guys should play the demo thingie on ps4. Its really something else.

here is some footage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2mfDmzQcOY&feature=youtu.be
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't have a PS4 (this might convince me to get one), so it's living vicariously through letsplayers, and it's frustrating to watch, hah. This demo seems to go back to 'player as observer', which speaks well for the psychological side of the game. But after watching a couple of these, I really hope they don't dumb things down based on player reactions to this demo. In the above video, the guy spends the last half ignoring an invitation to see what's in the door because nothing happens when he clicks on it, rushing on to try other doors.
  • Kurt Russell Fan Club
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I downloaded this last night and had a shot. Holy shit, what a great demo. It feels really solidly Silent Hill
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe I'm missing something but it looks like the fps parts from The Room but all build up and no delivery. I'm not going to play it if it's just a haunted house ride.
  • Kurt Russell Fan Club
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There's lots of delivery, maybe you're not looking at the complete demo? There's lots of story telling as well, you piece together some pretty horrible implied stuff.
  • spiderDude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spiderDude polycounter lvl 8
    @Justin Meisse- You gotta remember that this is a "playable teaser" not a demo. Once you complete the teaser it says "This game is a teaser. It has no direct relation to the main title.".

Which is a smart move that lead to the reveal of Kojima, Del Toro, and Norman Reedus' involvement with the game.
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    I really liked the teaser. Really spooky and hard to play through honestly, suspenseful and chilling. The stuff on the radio is what really got me.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That PT teaser...made me scream like a little girl. Couldn't finish it. Should not have played alone on big screen tv in the dark. Nope Nope Nope.
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    I saw it on youtube. Havn't had a game get under my skin like that before. Subtlety goes a lot farther than in your face gore when it comes to horror. Its nice to see Silent Hills capitalize on that. About time a game focused on that.
  • tadpole3159
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tadpole3159 polycounter lvl 12
    leleuxart wrote: »
    You guys should definitely watch gameplay of P.T. One of the guys I usually watch was just streaming it. I had to hold my hand up over the monitor to block out most of it. :\ 2 scarwey
    watch it?! whats the point of an interactive teaser if your just going to watch it :P we have regular trailers for that

I played it for about an hour, I'm a complete whimp and had to walk away 3 times swearing I'll never touch it again...and then i came back 5 minutes later swearing and cursing at myself for being a chicken. I'm about half way through so far :poly122:
  • heboltz3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    watch it?! whats the point of an interactive teaser if your just going to watch it :P we have regular trailers for that

I don't have a PS4 :P
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    Found an uncommentated gameplay video on youtube in case anybody wanted a video without exaggerated screaming:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vtrGF0ZTRc#

I don't really like it, psychological horror is only effective if there's actually a point where something happens. Other than the few moments where that ghost lady appears out of nowhere, it was just creaking and knocking noises which is creepy, but not really scary. At least it's just an "interactive teaser" and isn't representative of anything related to the actual game other than maybe the amazing graphics.
  • tadpole3159
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tadpole3159 polycounter lvl 12
    Oh sorry man, thought it was on PC and Xbox.:poly121:

Btw just "finished it" the room went yellow then back too normal. now if I look at the clock and wait past midnight the ghost lady starts to vibrate and eats me. Fun!
  • jfeez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jfeez polycounter lvl 8
    I noped out pretty much all the way through this. I want to play the game.. i think
  • ikken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yassss hideo yaaaaasssssss, haven't been this excited for a sh game in years
  • corveniaflint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can't wait to play this game. I liked the first two Silent Hills. This is going to be so good!
  • Kurt Russell Fan Club
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One thing I've noticed about this is that it uses a subtle fisheye projection. Spoilers in this vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBsBaTOzLsQ

Notice that when wall details and paintings are close to you that they bend naturally. It looks fantastic and I think it's another part of what makes this so convincing.
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    the gameplay in the PT teaser was beyond awful (do you like googling how to proceed?) but the art was pleasingly high-res, and the constant changes in lighting call attention to how dynamic the fox engine is.

i wonder whether the final game will make the same tradeoff with extremely small maps for maximum detail density, or if it won't resemble PT at all.
  • juniez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    juniez polycounter lvl 10
    the art in P.T. is admirably beautifully done but wow. 5 days of community effort to solve a puzzle and the best consensus is "here are some things that influence the outcome... but it's probably random"

I do hope they stick with a first person view , though - I think the lack of complete surrounding awareness like in the other SH games added a fresh coat of tension throughout
    especially with that twitchy shadow figure deal
  • Fogbrain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fogbrain polycounter lvl 5
    I finished playing P.T. and it's a remarkable piece of marketing genius. Despite the game being in 1 small focused scene, the art is crafted meticulously down to the very last possible detail. It's the very definition of a polished environment, and it shows because they get so much mileage out of it.

Speaking of which, the design of this demo is fantastic, it plays on every possible expectation with the player and the puzzles are incredibly difficult but when you figure it out, this sense of dread overwhelms you as you delve deeper into this infinite hellspace. The game is legitimately scary, I can count about 2 jump scares maybe and the rest is purely atmospheric, eventual, and complete mind meddling scenarios. Having Hideo Kojima and Guillermo del toro on board is awesome, I think we can get alot out of this, especially since they got HEAPS out of this just once scene alone.

Personally, I hope we have 3rd person for outside spaces, and for spaces similar to P.T. change it up to first person. It'll be a really good way to have the feeling being cramped into a hallway or in an open street.
  • BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    That was scarier than any of other Silent Hill. And super tight.

Dont know how the final game will turn out, sounds like it's pretty early still. But standalone, it's probably the best horror experience I've had in a game.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    translation of the Swedish radio broadcast:
    link

Please just be a reference to the joke endings, please Kojima, don't do this to me. The alien endings are jokes, not canon. If anyone else was heading this game I wouldn't worry but Kojima I'm not so sure...

"Close your eyes.

Let your ears listen, to the radio.

Do you hear my voice?

Can you hear your own soul's scream?

Let us choose

My voice that tells the future

Or your tortured (inaudible)

Well, what do you choose?

You can choose.

Your life, your future.

Wise as you are you might already have discovered it.

Yes, the radio drama from 75 years ago was true.

They are here on our earth and they monitor and see all.

Don't trust anyone. Don't trust the police.

They are already controlled by them.

That's the way it has been for 75 years now.

Only our best (inaudible)

You have a right. A right to become one of us.

So, welcome to our world. Very soon the gates to a new dimension will open.

2-0-4-8-6-3

2-0-4-8-6-3"
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thank god for those subtitles.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I still don't trust the dude, I'm not a fan of his work but I guess Silent Hill can't be ruined any further, maybe I'll be surprised.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I still don't trust the dude, I'm not a fan of his work but I guess Silent Hill can't be ruined any further, maybe I'll be surprised.

I am sure its just a homage to the WoW movie.

Even the cockroaches in the start is a homage to monster movies.

2014-08-1314_26_17-mgdcssf.png
  • throttlekitty
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    ae. wrote: »
    man this is on the fox engine right? looks amazing.

yes on the FOX engine...
    I agree looks very impressive!
    But I hear the game won't be finished till early 2016? :(

Not sure how long till the next Metal Gear but I am hoping a public version of FOX will not take as long ( as well as a good localization team for English documentation )
  • kernersvillan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kernersvillan polycounter lvl 9
    Can't believe nobody has posted the new Silent Hills concept video yet. Its fucking amazing, and creepy as hell!

Silent Hills Concept Trailer

MeshModeler, was this prepro vid done in Fox Engine?
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that was the concept video for the PT game.

It was shown to Del Torro to show the type of stuff they could do in game.