Home General Discussion

Rest In Peace Robin Williams

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
aQGtKQg.jpg
I woke up today to find out that Robin Williams passed away yesterday from an apparent suicide while battling depression. Today is a horrible day.

Anyways I made this thread to honor a man who I grew up with watching his films and all of the amazing voice acting work he did. I must of watched Aladdin, Flubber, Mrs. Doubtfire, Peterpan, etc a million times as well as his maturer work such as Good Morning Vietnam and Good Will Hunting.

It's admittedly an additional pain knowing of the charity work he did, and how much of a gamer he was. I remember it being so cool when I found out he played Half-life 1, Day of Defeat, BF2, Warcraft 3, Quake, and his freaking hysterical presentation of Spore when it was in development.

Rest in peace Robin Williams, you will be missed :(

Replies

• OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OBlastradiusO polycounter lvl 11
    I didn't even know he had a depression issue.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master

I think that's probably the most frustrating, and saddening thing about it.
    qPV0WcU.gif
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    It's not often that a celebrity death truly affects me, but this was one of them. I grew up watching Mork and Mindy. I loved most of his movies. I will miss him greatly.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Robin Williams was one of the few men that is universally loved by the world.

I don't think i've ever come across somebody who did not adore him as a human being on this planet. Now that this has happened, knowing he was around was one of those things that was a happy thought in the back of your brain when you were in your dark places, and i know that is what he was to me.

Of course we can only know the public construct that he made, and that is what people miss, but in this way an actor, or personality is able to touch people. I miss you Robin Williams the social construct, and my condolences go out to the family who knew Robin Williams the man.
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    notman wrote: »
    It's not often that a celebrity death truly affects me, but this was one of them.

This is exactly how I feel. I'm truly saddened by this news. He is one of the few people that left the world a better place.
  • Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    Amen to that. He just felt so much more real as a person to me.

Loved this old spore presentation he gave.
    http://youtu.be/V5TXEUiR1Xk
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    One of my favorites.

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcnFbCCgTo4[/ame]
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5

Which is the case with many. I hope his tragic death brings more awareness to depression, which is a disease, and too often a misunderstood one at that.
  • Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    That is very sad indeed.

I must admit it took me by surprise, from TV, i always remember him as overly positive character, i would never give him that he had depression....

I don't really have all that great respect for most actors, but there are few that i do respect a great deal. He was one of them, but others would be Woopi Goldberg, Patrick Stewart and similar....
  • Abidus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Abidus polycounter lvl 10
    Very sad news. Really admired the guy. RIP.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    I think the saddest part for me (aside from him being a great actor who's movies I grew up watching from a young age,) was the thought of anyone being at a point of going through so much emotional torment that they feel suicide is the only way to end it, poor guy :( RIP.
  • Rockley Bonner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rockley Bonner polycounter lvl 12
    Good knight sweet prince.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
  • JamesArk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesArk polycounter lvl 10
    Torch wrote: »
    I think the saddest part for me (aside from him being a great actor who's movies I grew up watching from a young age,) was the thought of anyone being at a point of going through so much emotional torment that they feel suicide is the only way to end it, poor guy :( RIP.

It is fucking crushing to me that this amazing and successful person, who, if I were asked, I would ignorantly put on a short-list of the happiest people in the world, was secretly so depressed that he felt completely out of options.

If it were a heart attack, an accident or natural causes it would have been tragic enough. This is heartbreaking.
  • Stirls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    I have a friend who recently tried to kill himself. Just two days after his birthday. He's suffering from depression. Please people, if you have suicidal thoughts, talk to someone about them. It's not the answer.
  • SanderDL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SanderDL polycounter lvl 7
    Like for many others Robin Williams' dead feels very strange to me. He was sort of like a childhood hero to me and I would have never expected something like this to happen to him. Maybe he wasn't always in the best movies but despite of what he was in, he would always give his best and never half ass anything.

You can never really tell what goes through a despressed person's mind or why they acted the way they did, especially not if it is a celebrity. But I feel like Robin Williams always wanted to make people laugh and entertain them. And maybe because his work wasn't as succesfull anymore as it used to be, he didn't feel like he could do that anymore. And if he couldn't make people laugh anymore then maybe life had not meaning any more for him. Again it is just speculation and you can never tell, but it is somehow comforting to think about it this way.
  • J0NNYquid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J0NNYquid polycounter lvl 5
    Hit home for me on so many levels. He hasn't stopped giving even after he's passed. His suicide pushed me to talk to one of my good friends that I suspected of being depressed. I was nervous to confront him at first, as I didn't want to offend him if he wasn't. His reaction was one of relief, and he's since set up appointments to speak with a doctor and finally get help, as he was closer to self-harm than even I imagined. Do not wait, if you suspect someone close to you is suffering, ask.

I owe a lot of my childhood to Robin Williams. He will be sorely, sorely missed.
  • Brygelsmack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    I always viewed him as a sad person, but someone who loved to entertain others. You can kinda see it in his eyes.
  • iconoplast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iconoplast polycounter lvl 13
    SanderDL wrote: »
    And maybe because his work wasn't as succesfull anymore as it used to be, he didn't feel like he could do that anymore. And if he couldn't make people laugh anymore then maybe life had not meaning any more for him. Again it is just speculation and you can never tell, but it is somehow comforting to think about it this way.
    You can't really reduce something as complex as suicidal ideation to a single cause. You can, however, take note of things that might contribute. I do know that he was in the early stages of Parkinson's, he just came out of rehab sometime in the last few weeks (he'd been having alcohol problems, though this instance was said to be to help him stay clean rather than get clean fwiw), he was having to take roles he didn't really want for the money, he was selling his house because he couldn't afford it, and his TV show was recently canceled. He'd also admitted to severe depression in the past. I could certainly see those factors combining to push an already suicidal person over the edge.
    J0NNYquid wrote: »
    Hit home for me on so many levels. He hasn't stopped giving even after he's passed. His suicide pushed me to talk to one of my good friends that I suspected of being depressed. I was nervous to confront him at first, as I didn't want to offend him if he wasn't. His reaction was one of relief, and he's since set up appointments to speak with a doctor and finally get help, as he was closer to self-harm than even I imagined. Do not wait, if you suspect someone close to you is suffering, ask.
    This, a thousand times over. It's incredibly difficult for someone who's depressed to admit it for so many reasons. I'm very glad that your friend has appointments set up. You should offer to go with him. It helps to have someone along for support and it keeps people from talking themselves out of going. You can also offer to actually go in to the appointment; sometimes the therapist/psychologist/whoever can do more if they have a friend's perspective on a person's behavior.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I loved him best in mork and mindy, I was about 9 or 10 when that was on and just found him laugh about loud funny at the time.
  • J0NNYquid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J0NNYquid polycounter lvl 5
    The more details that come out about him, all the people he helped, really makes his absence all the more painful.