Home Technical Talk

Making low poly meshes for high poly

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
capone polycounter lvl 18
I didn't think this out too much going into this. I'd just exported a single zbrush mesh into Max and started building a low poly around it. What I should be doing it re-export my zbrush mesh into different elements and make individual LP meshes for different elements? Because otherwise it's going to get confused when it comes to edges where different elements meet up?

If anyone can confirm these any of these thoughts, I think I'm right, just want to make sure before doing lots of work!

c7KWOxm.jpg

Replies

• peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    "it's going to get confused when it comes to edges where different elements meet up? "

I don't know what the problem here is ? just shift-select-move-explode your mesh piece by piece for baking and Voila! Its kinda what everyone would do in this case. Edge problem solved.
  • capone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    capone polycounter lvl 18
    I could select elements in max but max is running slow so it's a bit of a chore. I could use pro optimize on each detached/exploded element but then I lose quality compared to the original model. I could potentially leave the pro optimize on there during all the work and then when it comes to baking turn it off for each element. Sound good?
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    capone wrote: »
    I could select elements in max but max is running slow so it's a bit of a chore. I could use pro optimize on each detached/exploded element but then I lose quality compared to the original model. I could potentially leave the pro optimize on there during all the work and then when it comes to baking turn it off for each element. Sound good?

That is exactly how I would do it.

Also, model it as it needs to be in game. Does the door open? Does it need to hinge at a certain spot? Do you want gaps large enough in the door to see through?