Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WD-40 Spray Can (PBR practice)

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Yogensya polycounter lvl 9
The other day I decided to model and object in my room and thought a WD-40 can could be and interesting PBR practice, with a bit of metal, plastic, oxide, metal paint, etc.

So far I've only modeled the Hihh Poly. Low poly bake will came next. But meanwhile I though I could throw it into TB2 and see if I can get some solid material bases.

Here's a few pic of a couple of can I have next to my computer at the moment (sorry for the poor photo quality):

Z6keT47.jpg

And the High Poly for now:

q5dt3rQ.jpg

B9GKgyq.jpg

4U1FS9f.jpg

I'll keep updating soon, but any and all feedback is very appreciated since material definition is one of the things I most struggle with normally, no matter how many tutorials I read. :P

Thanks for stopping to take a look!

Replies

• Yogensya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've baked the low poly (3,500 tris, i know it's high but it's just a PBR practice model so i wanted to keep it looking close to the high poly) and transferred the bases to my texture, for now i'm doing a Specular workflow.

Note: To match the materials i had in Toolbag what i did was check my colors for diffuse, and intensity for spec and gloss, and paste their values in Photoshop as a brightness percentage, so for example gloss 0.546 -> 55%.

All slots seemed to work fine except Specular, where i had to add a gamma 2,2 correction. After that it all seems to look the same. Did i do this the wrong way? Does anyone know any other methods/tips to match values from a Tbag material to an actual texture?

Any other comments or crits are welcome.

Left: high poly with Tbag material bases
    Center: Low poly textured to match same material bases
    Right: Low poly, occlusion and normals only

J5G4mLa.jpg

VwP0rmE.jpg
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yogensya wrote: »
    All slots seemed to work fine except Specular, where i had to add a gamma 2,2 correction. After that it all seems to look the same. Did i do this the wrong way? Does anyone know any other methods/tips to match values from a Tbag material to an actual texture?

Assuming you pulled the specular value from the slider, not the color picker, that is working as expected. The specular slider is in linear space, while specular textures load as sRGB(gamma space) by default. If you enter your value with the color input and then copy the hex value, that should match up as both the color picker and texture input are sRGB (which is why the albedo worked fine).

Gloss maps are in linear space so the texture value will match the slider value.
  • Yogensya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Assuming you pulled the specular value from the slider, not the color picker, that is working as expected. The specular slider is in linear space, while specular textures load as sRGB(gamma space) by default. If you enter your value with the color input and then copy the hex value, that should match up as both the color picker and texture input are sRGB (which is why the albedo worked fine).

Gloss maps are in linear space so the texture value will match the slider value.

Thanks for the info, i didn't think about the difference between the slider value and the color picker value, i just had the feeling i was missing something. :)
  • Yogensya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Starting to texture the metal paint and adding some wear. I'll go material by material, so the bare aluminum and plastic are still untouched bases. :)

m1sWge1.jpg
  • Yogensya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dang it!

Hey i've update the textures on this little can a bit, mostly i tweaked the plastic's base and added some grunge to them. So far i like the result.

I'm not so happy with the metal. Overdid the rust a bit so i'll tune that down next time. But any other tips to improve it, especially regarding mat definition? (see first picture in the thread for reference and of how it should look)

Also if anyone wants the model and textures/bakes let me know. When i'm satisfied with them i'll make them public anyway. :P

EjQrp5f.jpg

gDfKMeE.jpg
  • Zelfit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zelfit polycounter lvl 8
    That looks good, but I think that metal parts are way too damaged, try to reduce it a little.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    I think your spec is way too noisey. Most of that should simply be done in the gloss. Also, Like Zelfit said, I think the black damaged areas in your spec should be toned down a lot. Lastly, just eyeballing it, I think the red cap could use a tad more spec.

Besides the grunge pass though I think the values in your textures look really good overall. I think its turning out great really, nice work so far!
  • Yogensya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zelfit wrote: »
    That looks good, but I think that metal parts are way too damaged, try to reduce it a little.

Thanks, yeah i'm still tweaking the metal and trying to see what works best. Thanks for the feedback!
    I think your spec is way too noisey. Most of that should simply be done in the gloss. Also, Like Zelfit said, I think the black damaged areas in your spec should be toned down a lot. Lastly, just eyeballing it, I think the red cap could use a tad more spec.

Besides the grunge pass though I think the values in your textures look really good overall. I think its turning out great really, nice work so far!

Thanks for the feedback! As you both suggested i toned down the rust on the metal quite a lot, it was indeed an overkill. :)

As for the damage in the spec, that's something i always struggle with for some reason. I think i'll make a version of the texture with no damage at all in the spec and see what results i get. It is my understanding the specular should still be affected by by dirt, even if it's a subtle effect, but since this is practice i guess i will have to keep experimenting and see for myself. :polytwitch:

With all that said, here's an update where i tried to make the metal lighting look less out of place. Darkening it's specular a bit finally made the metal mat definition look better, at least in my opinion. :P

wEQr42J.jpg