Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

(HELP NEEDED) S.S. Nomad Control Station

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Joltya polycounter lvl 10
Hello polycounters! So I'm a student, and this is a scene I have been slowly working on for a while now for my portfolio.

cYno8Yc.jpg
Ot3Qzl0.jpg
FVH29t4.jpg

The idea for this was to be a game ready environment rendered in UDK or Unity. This is my first environment piece, and I was really confused about how I should go about doing it, so I just decided to model everything in high poly and break everything up once I get to the low poly stages. However, now that I'm getting close to that point, I'm afraid I may have seriously screwed myself over with this workflow. I'm told that I should have built this modularly, but I honestly don't know how this would be built modularly (seeing as how all of the walls are so different). Even if I am able to break it down and make the walls modular, I'm not sure if I can even get the pieces to fit together in UDK since I didn't consider the grid system that it uses when I started. Right now, I'm being discouraged from putting this scene in an engine and just rendering it in mental ray or Vray or something, but that's not what I wanted from this scene and I don't want to go that route.

If there's anyone out there can tell me how I can salvage this, I would be extremely grateful.

Replies

• pixelpatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    I think your right, you should of done this modular, yet it'd be a pain in the ass to restart when your pretty much ready to move onto the next phase....I'd suggest adding more to the model and going this route. Turn model into 3-d cut out.....Good luck.

doors_02.jpg
  • Joltya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joltya polycounter lvl 10
    ^ Yeah, I've seen that before, and I thought about taking that route. I still very much want to put this in UDK or something like that. I just don't even know how I would split this up into modular pieces, it just doesn't make sense to me. I am reusing a lot of assets in the current stage where it's at right now. I honestly don't think I'd have to redo that much right now to break it up into pieces though. I just need to know how to do that.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't think you are really that screwed tbh. I definitely think you took the wrong approach, don't get me wrong. But looking at the ref, if you are looking to replicate that as close as you can...most of it consists of unique props and decorations that get slapped on the wall anyways.

Consider doing a quick blockout of this space...get that into a game engine...then pull apart the high poly stuff for the different props...and make them and replace the roughed in props as you go.

I wouldn't have done this modularly myself either. The floor could just be a tiling texture with the rectangular metal plates that gets broken up with hazard stripe floor trim. I wouldn't have modeled the entire floor like that. Your pipes, wires, etc could all be using a tiled texture as well. And the repeated objects (multiple ropes, multiple gauges, etc)..you can just make one of those and copy them around when you make it.

So...you definitely approached things the wrong way...but I really only see there being some work here that is really throwaway...you can salvage the rest though.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    An artistic crit rather than a technical one if I may - it feels too spacious.

I gather it's a space vessel (from the map), but with all the exposed pipes and dials I get the impression that there isn't enough space to fit those internally. Since there is not enough space to hide the workings, then to me it'd be more of a cramped space, yet there is plenty of room to move about in there.

Add some more claustrophobia and it'll tighten up the overall vision.