Home General Discussion

gears 1 on windows 7 ?

Ruz
polycount lvl 666
Offline / Send Message
Ruz polycount lvl 666
anybody ever got it working on win7 as I have had no luck at all.
tried all the online fixes etc
it always crashes back to the desktop after the splash screen

Replies

• mazz423
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mazz423 polycounter lvl 9
    Yeah I suffered from that when I went to replay it about a year or two ago. There was a patched startup.exe that was needed if I remember right.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to find a working link for it anywhere, sorry about that, however it might be worth asking on the epic forums and see if someone has it still lying around.

After that if I remember correctly I had to turn off all of the DX10 related graphics options. That for some reason sticks out to me. Then it worked fine if memory serves me right, but it was a while ago.
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    I haven't played GoW1 PC for at least a year since the community died and GFWL was getting canceled, but I played fine on both Windows 7 and 8. I don't recall having to do anything special other than installing the game then grabbing the patches from here.

If those updates don't do anything, I'll reinstall my copy to see if I can help more, although just keep in mind, you'll only be able to play singleplayer and you may or may not be able to save your game (not sure if you'll still be able to make offline GFWL profiles.)

You might also have to manually install the games for windows live client.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I think it actually might be my vid card. my previous one was fine with gears so maybe whatever i do it won't work sucks really
    as its so much fun to play on my big pc monitor

i did try all the fixes etc and went through numerous forum posts so i think i have tried everything
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    Run it in compatibility mode?
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll reinstall my copy later tonight and try to make a step by step guide, I could have been missing a step since I haven't played in at least a year. GoW1 ran flawlessly on my old 9600GT and runs buttery smooth maxed out on my Radeon 6950, what videocard do you have?
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    tried it in compatibility mode, tried just about everything on the various forums, all the recommended patches, fixes etc

my vid card is a nvidia geforce GTX 560 Ti
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    heyy got it working. did all the same things as last time, but it just came on

cool:)
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just finished installing it -_-

Anyway, at least it's working now, have fun! On a side note, there used to be a pretty active community for the game on Tunngle. I'm not sure if it's still alive but it might be worth checking out if you wanted to play multiplayer.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    I couldnt even get Gears 1 to not crash on XP or Vista. Never finished the 5th act because of this reason.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    i had this humungous laptop when I first started freelancing which was as slow as hell BTW, but gears ran ok on it and that was vista.
    was a bit chuggy though.