Home Marmoset

Gloss Map appearing inverted...

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
BradMyers82 interpolator
Hey, the image should explain it all, but bascially, in marmoset the areas I paint lighter in the gloss map are showing up darker when the lights hit that area. This is the opposite of whats suppose to happen, and I can't figure out what's going on. No matter what I do with the lights in marmoset this still happens, and I realized it was an issue when I saw how 3do was behaving (the way I expected it to).

glossmap_problem.jpg

Replies

• BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    I guess it must just be my lights in that scene.

I deleted them all and simply created a point light and moved it past the area and it behaved correctly. Maybe it was always behaving "correctly" but I figured it should never get darker than the rest of the areas like it was in the above image.

Can anyone explain this?

glossmap_problem_02.jpg
  • billymcguffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    billymcguffin polycounter lvl 11
    Well the more diffuse area will reflect lights from a wider range, whereas the glossier area will reflect a smaller range. The range that it just happened to be reflecting didn't have light in it I guess.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well the more diffuse area will reflect lights from a wider range, whereas the glossier area will reflect a smaller range. The range that it just happened to be reflecting didn't have light in it I guess.

Right, a gloss map doesn't define how bright or dark the reflection is*, it defines how blurry or tight the reflection is. Depending on the reflection content (from the image based lighting, dynamic lights, or some combination of both) an area will look brighter or darker depending on exactly what it is picking up from the reflection.

Without using the exact same lighting in 3Do and Toolbag, there really isn't much you can really conclude.

* Due to energy conservation, rougher, wider highlights will appear dimmer, while tighter, glossier highlights will appear brighter. However, both reflect the same amount of light, the rougher surface simply spreads the light out over a larger area.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Thanks guys, this clears it up a bit for me. Crazy how much I'm learning here with Marmoset, I know future projects will go much smoother now.