Home General Discussion

Does Unpolished Placeholder/Pre-Alpha Assets Help Sell A Game?

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
JacqueChoi polycounter
Have an interesting discussion with a programmer friend of mine.

I was always of the mindset that publicly showing hastily made "placeholder" assets were detrimental to the game.

Other developers feel that showing something that sort of resembles the game, even with sloppy textures, and basic colours will really help to visualize how a game is made, and makes it easier to develop a following.

What do you guys think?

Replies

• Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    It's detrimental; the average person can't see past placeholder art. Artists and other developers who work in the thick of things can see past ugly unfinished art to figure out the intent but even higher ups have difficulty with grey box levels.

We tried to implement grey box play tests at one studio but the bosses just got frustrated and insisted we continue bringing levels to a near finished state before they could decide whether the layout was fun or not.
  • ZacD
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Placeholder is better than nothing, and makes quicker iteration.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTW6S2mC3-k"]sidtest - YouTube[/ame]

It really depends on what you are trying to sell and where. I'd recommend polishing a level or area, or creating a vertical slice, if you are trying to sell the game as a whole package, on kickstater or otherwise. If you are trying to sell your games as a mechanics based game, or a proof of concept, it doesn't matter as much. Antichamber to me looks like programer art, but it doesn't need a polished art pass.
  • Autocon
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    First impressions are EVERYTHING, even with video games. Most of your average gamer/regular person will not be able to see past the ugly art to understand its "Alpha". Even when you say this is "alpha" work and not representative of the final product.

Thats the image that sticks in there mind when they remember your game.

I have a good number of friends who are huge God of War fans, owned every game in the franchise. But when Ascension was announced and they showcased Multiplayer first and didnt show any single player component that completely turned them off from it. They never got the game and never realized that there was actually a single player portion to the game. The first impression was that the game was just a MP game and didn't bother following it from that point on.

Its another reason why studio pay gobs of money to have a beautiful trailer done by Blur before they show any gameplay. People just see that gorgeous pre rendered trailer and are like, omg I want that game!
  • skylebones
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    It's detrimental; the average person can't see past placeholder art. Artists and other developers who work in the thick of things can see past ugly unfinished art to figure out the intent but even higher ups have difficulty with grey box levels.

We tried to implement grey box play tests at one studio but the bosses just got frustrated and insisted we continue bringing levels to a near finished state before they could decide whether the layout was fun or not.

This has been my experience 100%.
  • Stinger88
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    If the core of the game is good then the lack of polished assets means nothing.

Also, rough characters and assets let the players use their imagination to fill in the gaps. Like rough concept art.
  • EarthQuake
    I've been on projects where we've had major issues because higher ups (non-devs) couldn't see past placeholder art. I would avoid doing it, unless your game has a really simple, clean style where placeholder assets won't stand out like a sore thumb.
  • aesir
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    As someone that works in advertising, that shit doesn't even need to be in engine. Do it entirely in Maya or Max. Pretty things get more interest from the average joe.
  • JacqueChoi
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Hypothetically speaking.

Do you guys think you can develop a following for an indie game with polished concept art, and Greybox placeholder gameplay videos?
  • ZacD
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    JacqueChoi wrote: »
    Hypothetically speaking.

Do you guys think you can develop a following for an indie game with polished concept art, and Greybox placeholder gameplay videos?

Yeah, as long as you had a mockup screenshot of what you want the game to actually look up.

Here's an example
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/harmonix/amplitude
    Only gameplay video of the last game, that came out on the PS2. Only new art is concepts and zBrush.
  • aesir
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Hypothetically speaking.

Well anything is possible, but some things are going to work better than others.

For example, take a look at the sort of stories that get picked up on rockpapershotgun. Go through their archives a bit and pick out the stories that are about "this new game on kickstarter." I think you'll find most of them have a polished trailer. In fact, it seems to be the norm now for people to put out a trailer that looks like a release trailer first. Even if they don't have a solid game behind it. Those are the sorts of games that get the most funding/interest.

I think it's pretty rare to just see concept art for a new game announcement. And I've almost never seen a grey box placeholder video.

I think the most effective way to build up a following is to get together the best assets you can, and do a game announcement blitz all at once and try to get your story picked up in as many places as possible. Focus all your PR all at once. And for that, you need some killer assets to show off. I don't think concept art and placeholder gfx is enough to get interest at the maximum amount of gaming news sites.

edit: Zac's example is an established company. Totally different than an indie.
  • ExcessiveZero
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    I am facing this dilemma as I assemble a personal project, my cutting corners is more on the quantity not the quality, flying robot drone enemies to save on extra enemy, rigging and animation work for techs demo for example but everything needs to be visually exciting.

when you are going to kickstarter you are bringing the sizzle not the steak as depressing as that may sound, you only need to give them a slice, essentially a partial level but it needs to look final to near final, you can explain the future features over the sizzle, demonstrating part of the steak thats yet to be fully cooked.

Expect your customers to not get it the same way as your peers, if you showed a movie trailer and it had some credited actors, some half made stages, and showed you the wardrobe, would that make you want to see that movie? while a fellow director might say, you have everything you need to make a great movie, you have lost the customer entirely.

so this is why you need to demonstrate the sizzle to the public, not the steak.
  • EarthQuake
    Hypothetically speaking.

If you have something very compelling, yes. Take the Wolfire guys, they have a huge following, but have been showing alpha/beta/placeholder stuff for years. Awesome procedural animation system though, which is their thing.

Whats your thing?
  • ZacD
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Studios are showing more WIP projects and making of content, look at Double Fine, they are doing the same approach as Wolfire with Broken Age and Massive Chalice, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOnO96mV044#t=1079 Epic Games is doing something similar with the new Unreal Tournament.

I do agree if you want to get some traditional marketing done, you need to be able to provide the press with pretty pictures.
  • aesir
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    ZacD wrote: »
    Studios are showing more WIP projects and making of content, look at Double Fine, they are doing the same approach as Wolfire with Broken Age and Massive Chalice, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOnO96mV044#t=1079 Epic Games is doing something similar with the new Unreal Tournament.

I do agree if you want to get some traditional marketing done, you need to be able to provide the press with pretty pictures.

Yea, but those are established studios once again. They have hundreds of thousands of followers that eat up their every word on social media. We're talking about building a fan base from scratch. You've gotta reel em in with something exceptional.
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    Ori wasn't much but a white box (that animated well) on black blockout on red background when it was sold to microsoft. All that counts is the gameplay ad this can get sold better with the most simple approach ever. As opposed to going full bloated on art and all that people will see is how great it looks.
    Not sure how well it would have been taken by the publicity back then tho.
  • NegevPro
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    I'd imagine gameplay would be more important than art for a lot of people. I'm going to go ahead and assume most people thought Minecraft looked like garbage until they played it for the first time. Unturned is one of the most popular F2P games on Steam right now and the art looks entirely like programmer art.

Both can be pretty important though, while there are gamers who will throw harsh judgement at a game with low quality placeholder art, there are still a ton of people who will hate on a game that uses solid, blocky, untextured geometry placeholders too. I've been reading all of the comments on every UT4 video I've watched on both youtube and I've also read comments on sites like reddit, and I see quite a few people who don't understand that the "art" of these levels are placeholders.

I think if you have high quality placeholders like the weapons of UT3 for example, then there's no reason not to recycle them (animations also, for example) but you shouldn't go out of your way to make something you're going to replace anyway look less ugly.
  • slipsius
    Placeholder art definitely helps sell. Look at all the awesome e3 demos we see, and when the game finally ships, it looks no where near as good as the demos, but got all those pre-orders and day 1 purchases.

Bazinga.
  • wizo
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    great topic,

Placeholder items do not really help sell a game in the marketing sense. anything that looks unpolished is usually a turnoff unless its a white object that is clearly a placeholder.

What is really beneficial about placeholder items is that it gets the ball rolling... Its a quick way to get all the technical stuff down in the game and working.
    for example:

-proof of concepts ; is that idea really what we want, does it suit the gameplay needs. if its not working all we are trashing is a temp object, which didn't cost a lot to make.

-size placeholder ; are usually very helpful to make sure the base mesh has the right proportions, if an artist is going crazy in zbrush, baking, etc.. he has all the basic info to upgrade that asset.

-get testing asap: If something like a cover or barrel or physics objects is missing, that will often delay the work of the designers, lighters, whoever else is waiting after the asset to get some testing done

so imo white box or primitive shapes are better that cheap assets because they more obvious at being a placeholder.
  • RobeOmega
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10

Do these people even know what product they are selling?
    Either game play suffers because of this or hours of work may have to be discarded in some places.

This is not even not understanding video games anymore. This is just being pure idiotic. They can either lose sales of their product or lose the time of the people they are paying chose one.
  • easterislandnick
    Offline / Send Message
    easterislandnick polycounter lvl 17
    slipsius wrote: »
    Placeholder art definitely helps sell. Look at all the awesome e3 demos we see, and when the game finally ships, it looks no where near as good as the demos, but got all those pre-orders and day 1 purchases.

Bazinga.

That's not placeholder, that's generally known as target footage. Placeholders are generally grey box levels with simple character models to work out game play. They look like ass but it lets you get going working how the game will play. I've worked on too many games that were not in grey box stage long enough and art assets have had to be reworked due to design changes.
  • paco
    Offline / Send Message
    paco polycounter lvl 3
    I love this thread!

My personal take is that its like the uncanny valley. If it's clearly a placeholder then people will forgive it, and assume the graphics will be better for release. If it looks like effort has gone into it, then people assume that IS as good as it will get. So I'd keep it simple until the gameplay is nailed down.
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    I think it depends on how polish/unpolish is the placeholder in question...

If it's just grey box, moving around, then it would easily turn ppl off.

On the other hand, a character looking lowpoly mesh would be quite fine without texture or details.
  • Fenyce
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenyce polycounter lvl 11
    I think already finished (or almost finished) assets help to sell a game, especially if you want to use something like greenlight or kickstarter to present it. It will be hard for the crowd to guess what you're able to make if you present a greybox blockout, because they simply don't know you. And to present a bunch of conceptarts beside a basic alpha blockout stage game won't help either. Because most times concept arts don't translate 1 to 1 to the final look of the game, so there is a high chance to dissapoint people.

What I personally think it that if you have something finished to show off (and even if it's just a small part of an environment and a character) it will be much easier for people to accept unpolished alpha footage, because through the already finished examples it will be easier for them to guess where it's going.
  • Mask_Salesman
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    +1 First impressions.

Now for me personally as a dev, along side the pretty art to draw me in and give me a representation of its finished appearance; I prefer to see a strong foundation already laid down, proof the game exists, even if its a blockout testmap demonstrating the core mechanics, aslong as it shows there is a working proof of concept and that they are not just saying "we'll make some amazing game mechanics later, I promise". (This is also why I backed Overgrowth, they have a working game at the core alongside their pretty art.)

I know everyone's opinions differ. But not to insinuate any stupidity on their behalf but the public don't have as much context as we do on games. So what may look good to us unfinished may look bad to them and vice versa, even with finished games, we'll be able to approximate better from our more informed opinion.

So IMO it depends on whether it is really worth showing that video? Is it completely 100% required, something so good that it deserves that video. Because whatever you show has to outshine the unfinished placeholder stuff so much that peeps won't care about that.

I've seen projects a couple times with good art and poor blockout vids dissappear and alright art with a strong conceptual explanation and no vids get backed.

So I'd choose wisely if its better to conceptual explain versus placeholder video, IMO.
  • BlvdNights
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    I really think it depends on the audience you're attracting. I think some people do like watching the actual action regardless of how shiny the wrapping around it is. However, You will always get more attention for better looking visuals than just placeholder. A very small indie project can get away with it, but a something in the ballpark of a AAA project cant.

I think, a game, that can demo well, that can also demonstrate through it's play, the concepts or actual functionality, can get away with it

Couple examples of games I can think of that pertain to this:

-Braid: Most of the actual game of Braid had been completed prior to any art being made for it. It was entered into the IGF competition with it's programmer art and still won. However, I would say the game didn't get real mass attention until it got it's art.

-Minecraft: I know the art style of this game has grown on people but back when it came out, I dont think many people thought highly of the art at all. It definitely had programmer art written all over it. However, that clearly hasn't stopped it from being popular, acclaimed, or successful.

Ultimately, it comes down to a per project basis really and what the devs can pull off.
  • TrevorJ
    Offline / Send Message
    TrevorJ polycounter lvl 9
    One thing that hasn't really been touched on yet is the idea of showing early work to get buy in from people. It's kinda a hard concept to explain although im sure you all kinda know what I mean. I think there is a lot of unperceived value in that although it hard to measure in a traditional marketing sense.
    It's the equivalent of the snowball marketing approach rather than the AAA atomic blast, face melting approach. When people show early stuff there trying to turn the viewers into marketers for themselves.

Now going back to what Jacque initially asked, id have to agree with most and say its probably a detriment IF you don't show any really intriguing game-play, and that game-play HAS to overshadow any place-holder art. Also like people have said it needs to be clearly place-holder art or finished stuff probably not both. I think showing place holder art is fine it just needs to be stupid obvious that it is place-holder art. But then again, "Stupid obvious" still might not be enough for some people.

Good discussion though, some interesting crossovers from AAA to small indie projects.
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Offline / Send Message
    Nizza_waaarg polycounter lvl 15
    nz homies doing it right http://kotaku.com/ashen-is-a-very-pretty-video-game-1606977580

As most have said; if its for erryone to see, make sure it looks pretty (first impressions). If it were just for devs to peep that'd be fine but should totes make sure you have somthing nice to show off for the majority of peeps :) (or just pretty up those placeholder assets, bullshots n such)